Rem 700 Bolt Lock or No Bolt Lock

Doug W

Completely confused about when Rem did use bolt locks and when they didn't.

Most factory bolts I have seen have them.

A new factory bolt I got from PTG doesn't.

None of the PTG bolts I purchased have bolt locks.

Well, what is the deal?
Does every install a PTG bolt discard the bolt lock, or machine it themselves?

It's been awhile since I saw an action with a J-lock on the cocking piece. They were an idea that Remington had that didn't go over with shooters. I'd say one year production or at most two years. The original firing pin assembly worked in their place and most people did just that or used Pacific's replacement firing pin assembly. For the past several years, none of the new Remington's that I've seen have had it, but don't know when they did away with it. I'm sure it must have been lawyer designed not to mention that the firing pin spring corkscrewed down through the bolt body and rubbed on the inside of the bolt body.

If your speaking of the bolt locking with the safety, that is on the safety itself. An arm on the safety, while the safety was placed on, would lock into a machined recess in the bolt body locking it closed. Brian.

If your speaking of the bolt locking with the safety, that is on the safety itself. An arm on the safety, while the safety was placed on, would lock into a machined recess in the bolt body locking it closed. Brian.

Yes Bolt Lock and that is exactly what it does.
So back to the question, why do some factory bolts and all my PTG bolts not have the milling cut in the bolt for thr bolt lock to engage?

Yes Bolt Lock and that is exactly what it does.
So back to the question, why do some factory bolts and all my PTG bolts not have the milling cut in the bolt for thr bolt lock to engage?

Well digging around it looks like D prefix and later (1983??) do not have the Bolt Lock feature.

Well digging around it looks like D prefix and later (1983??) do not have the Bolt Lock feature.

I think they did away with it due to needing to turn the safety off and cycle the mag empty on ADL's, etc. Probably a lawyer involved in changing it but I never liked that feature either. The ones without the lock can be cycled with the safety on or off.

4,5,6,7 digit,A,B,C pre-fix serial numbered receiver bolt bodies have bolt lock safety cuts.

Bolt lock safety cuts in bolt bodies went by the wayside w/ "D" pre-fix serial numbered receivers in the late 90's w/ the advent of the ISS/J Lock firing pin assy's.

In the tens of thousands of bolt bodies that I've had in hand to date.

Back