Rem. 700 bolt handle and aftermarket stock question

J

Jbordi

I have a Rem. 700 action installed in an aftermarket stock with full length bedding block. My question is in regards to the bolt handle area of the stock. After installing the action I noticed that bolt would not close completely down. It was hitting the stock material. I have hogged out this area and the bolt now completely closes. Could this have affected accuracy or anything else?

The bolt handle needs clearance, it can't hit the stock or make contact with the receiver when closed anywhere except at the bottom of the bolt handle cutout where it's supposed to stop. Also, on a bedding block stock, make sure that the action is setting in the block stress free. You can check that with a dial indicator between the barrel and forend. Alternately loosen off the front and rear guard screw. If the dial indicator moves more than .002", then the rifle would benefit from a skim coat bedding job over the aluminum bedding block. Also make sure that the guard screw holes in the stock have sufficient clearance. 5/16" holes with 1/4" stock bolts will work.

Thanks Mike! The bottom of the bolt handle was hitting the stock material, and this was not allowing the bolt to close all way down against the receiver. I removed enough stock material so that the bolt would close as it does when I remove the barreled action out of the stock and worked the bolt. Do you think that is okay?

Back