rem 700 action question - dumb question

K

kstockfo

could a rem 700 action be converted to rimfire? do any companies (pacific tool & gauge comes to mind) make a replacement rimfire 700 bolt? i'm just curious to see if a person could re-create a rem 40x rimfire with an un-used model 700 action? thanks for the help.
kstockfo

why not call Dave Kiff @ Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc. (541-826-5808) and ask him, he's a really nice guy, easy to reach on the phone, always gives you a honest answer and never in a hurry to get off the phone, and all of his products are great

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

The 700's magazine cutout is the problem. You could convert a centerfire 40x rec but it wouldn't be cost effective.

would you sell

that 700 action??? Stiller is making new rf actions now, I heard they are priced right---and full custom.

The 700's magazine cutout is the problem. You could convert a centerfire 40x rec but it wouldn't be cost effective.

Wonder if a Davidson style ramp could be made to 40x rimfire specs., or maybe there is already such a thing..........Don

thanks

thanks for all the info. i am going to hang onto my current 700 (a 22-250), but thought about this project for a rainy day project someday. i am going to try pacific tomorrow just out of curiousity. my gun budget is already spent, so it'll be a while before i'm able to seriously consider it. i am still going to do the homework and dream a bit. i'll post the info if i found out something interesting.
thanks again,
kstockfo

p.s. i did see the stiller 25x, and it looks very nice. maybe that is my best option.

I haven't had many rimfire actions in my shop, but if I remember correctly, the locking lugs on the rimfire 40X actions are more like a rear locking lug than a front locking lug. The bolt is two pieces with the rear part of the bolt that rotates having the locking lugs and the front of the bolt body doesn't turn. It would take a lot of machining of the receiver to install a 40X rimfire bolt into a 700 if it could be done.

could a rem 700 action be converted to rimfire? do any companies (pacific tool & gauge comes to mind) make a replacement rimfire 700 bolt? i'm just curious to see if a person could re-create a rem 40x rimfire with an un-used model 700 action? thanks for the help.
kstockfo

It would be an expensive and difficult project.

Here are pictures of a 40X rim fire action and bolt.
40xrimfireaction-0.jpg

40xrimfirebolt-0.jpg

rem 700 action question

Why would you want to use that bolt?
Could the standard 700 bolt face be converted to rimfire?
Maybe even with duel firing pins.
Can the bolt face be altered to acomidate a rimfire?
I have seen centerfire martinis converted.
It's an interesting problem.
Maybe even an advantge , seeing the locking lugs are in the front instead of the rear.
I bet it could be done.

Almost anything can be done, to so it successfully will involve a big expenditure.

Remington invented the 700/40X centerfire and rim fire... I am sure they made the rim fire the way they did because it was a better design than trying to use a 700 front lug bolt.

Trying to get a .22 rimfire cartridge to feed across the locking lug space at the front of the action would be the problem. The technical name for this is a "bad idea".

Mausers have been converted in several different ways. You should also check out the US 1922 Springfield.

Attachments

• b2430top.jpg
    b2430top.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 263
  • mau_0258d.jpg
    mau_0258d.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 272
  • mau_0257a.jpg
    mau_0257a.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 251
Trying to get a .22 rimfire cartridge to feed across the locking lug space at the front of the action would be the problem. The technical name for this is a "bad idea".

but but but doesn't the bottom of the action just keep going Boyd????

nice explanation

:)

al

Back