Rem 40x rimfire 1958? Never fired ?

manitou210

Hi Members
Found this rem 40x fellow wants to sell he has 2 of them one has been fired a few boxes in same condition of this unfired.4 digit serial # no letters starting # 5 I am not sure if its a 721 action always wanted to buy one of these.would it be wise for me to buy both and shoot the one that has been fired. he bought them a sports store in USA in early 60s what would be value of a 40x like this ?
manitou http://http://http://http://

Buy them both if you can

Look at places like GunBroker.com, AuctionArms.com, Cabelas Gun Room etc. to see what others are going for. Don't see many in really mint condition. I would think they would be worth $1,000 each at retail. Ask him what he wants for both and make a command decision. Maybe could get both for $1,800 then sell off one at $1,200 etc. Good luck and congratulations.

The used would bring in the 1000-1200 range
The new would not surprise me to go 1400 - 1600
Nice ones get the collectors juices really flowing.

The heavy barrel on the older 721 action is kinda rare there out there but very few of them and the ones I have had and the ones I have shot was all good ones.I would guess both of them with sights would be worth $22-2500 pending what sights and the overall condition.Jerry

40 x

I'd bet it is a 722 type action as the 721 was the long action...
looks nice. Rimfires were on short action.

40x

Jim,

Not just rimfires, ALL 40X's regardless of caliber were on short actions. The longer calibers were made single shot only and the shorter centerfires could be had as repeaters with mag.

I don't think there is any rarity in 40X heavy barrels. Truth be known there are probably more heavy barrels than standard barrels in spite of the Govt. contract rifles.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
if one of em is for sell, i would be interested..........Ernie

Jim,

Not just rimfires, ALL 40X's regardless of caliber were on short actions. The longer calibers were made single shot only and the shorter centerfires could be had as repeaters with mag.

I don't think there is any rarity in 40X heavy barrels. Truth be known there are probably more heavy barrels than standard barrels in spite of the Govt. contract rifles.

bjm

Brian How many heavy barrel round knob (722 type 40x) guns have you seen 1 maybe 2 I have owned probaly 20 to 30 40x's and only had 2 of the heavy barrel 722 type 40x actions most of them actions was standard barrels start looking for them. Jerry

40x

Jerry,

I've had just the opposite experience with as many rifles, all civilian.

bjm

Man you have been lucky if you had several older actions(roundknob) heavy barrels because you dont find them that often on the net or in Ohio area.By the way has anyone ever seen a checkered bolt standard barrel civilian model with matching serial numbers?Jerry

Thanks Dave it would be interesting to know what serial # when they went to the later style 40x my last round knob heavy barrel was 2976 and the lowest one I have seen was like 396 or close to that it was a few years ago.Jerry

40x

Jerry,

The turn of X to XB occurred in the neighborhood of serial 22373 which is a civilian 40X I own. I say neighborhood as the rifles were assembled using the already serialed receivers at random. However, with slight receiver change that occurred at the time I would think all X's would be used before beginning the XB. I do have recorded an XB very close.
Using govt. contract rifle serial numbers also tends to add to the confusion as they don't closely follow suit with the civilian production but again, "in the neighborhood".

bjm

Brian I was wondering about the action change from the 722 to the 700 type in my opion the 722 was a little better maybe Mr.Walker babied them at the start?? Jerry

40x

Jerry,

I personally liked the old 40X better as well. I liked the straight bolt root and round ball bolt. Not to put the XB's down, it just a personal thing.
Is your #2976 a civilian or govt., Std or Hb?

bjm

Jerry

Man you have been lucky if you had several older actions(roundknob) heavy barrels because you dont find them that often on the net or in Ohio area.By the way has anyone ever seen a checkered bolt standard barrel civilian model with matching serial numbers?Jerry

Jerry, I have a standard barrel, civilian model with a checkered bolt handle and the #s match. Serial number is 42xxxB. It was bought new by Macky in the late 80's. It was the rifle shot by Josh Vandenbout in BR-50.

Jerry,

I personally liked the old 40X better as well. I liked the straight bolt root and round ball bolt. Not to put the XB's down, it just a personal thing.
Is your #2976 a civilian or govt., Std or Hb?

bjm

2976 was a civilain heavy barrel it had a great factory barrel that finally lost its edge then it was replaced with a 2 groove 17-3/4 twist benchmark.
James I seen the first standard barrel 40x checkered bolt a few weeks ago never gave them any thought before, until I seen that one.Jerry

JLG... I have #33xx (Sept '57) and it is round knob / hvy bbl CMP built on the 722. Original bbl and it is a shooter... use it to terrorize metallic barnyard animals.

Back