Reloading Presses

J

Jammer Six

I'm looking for a new press.

I've read on the net that several noted folks, including the U.S. Palma team and David Tubbs use Dillons. However, I've never found or read any definitive posts from any of those folks claiming that's so.

So, first, I'm interested in reading links to anything they wrote saying they use Dillons, and second, I'd be interested in knowing how heavily they modified their Dillons to use them for long range.

Given that it seems to be an accepted fact that long range requires single stage presses, I'm surprised at the claims, and would like to find out the truth.

Millions are popular...

I'm looking for a new press.

I've read on the net that several noted folks, including the U.S. Palma team and David Tubbs use Dillons. However, I've never found or read any definitive posts from any of those folks claiming that's so.

So, first, I'm interested in reading links to anything they wrote saying they use Dillons, and second, I'd be interested in knowing how heavily they modified their Dillons to use them for long range.

Given that it seems to be an accepted fact that long range requires single stage presses, I'm surprised at the claims, and would like to find out the truth.

My friend who is a "high master" service rifle shooter, used to shoot bench rest. He used a single press then. But as a service rifle competitor, the amount of ammo used for practice and match participation make single press use impracticable (thousands of rounds fired per year) and he has used a Dillion multi use press for years as do many service rifle and high power rifle shooters. He would not use one if it was not up to the job.

As the above have noted, it all depends on the amount of rounds you need to load. For years I shot IDPA pistol matches and used a Dillon. If I remember correctly, when a supplier was loading for the US Palma matches, two presses were used to due the number of precision dies and the powder dispenser needed.

Currently I shoot F-Class and Benchrest rifles and use a Forster C0-Ax press for F-Class ( http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/forster-co-ax®-press/ ) and a small portable press for Benchrest.

All you need to make a dillon load match ready ammo is a precision toolhead. There are a couple different ones

what long range are you talking about ?
that answer will lead to what press.
mil/dcm long range targets are 2 moa 10 ring(20 inches at 1000 yds) and 1 moa x-ring (10 inches), benchrest targets are much smaller.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the "problem" I see with progressive presses for long distance is the powder measure accuracy.

When I load for accuracy in a bench or F-Class rifle I weigh each charge to the .02 grain. I have Dillon and love it for pistol and informal semi-auto rifles and believe the powder measure is at least as good as any other one. But I don't see how the powder measure can throw uniform charges to enable the most accurate ammo.

If I remember correctly this was one item when the US Palma ammo was loaded that required another powder measure and two presses.

Kind of hard to answer PART of a question.
Yes a dilllon can be used for long range mil type shooting. Go do some searching on the subject online.
G David Tubbs used a prometheus scale with his dillon.
From what i have read, this will not work for benchrest shooting at 600/1000.

Pretend I don't know anything about it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the "problem" I see with progressive presses for long distance is the powder measure accuracy.

There was no problem, then, with the bullet seat/crimp?

I take it that no one has any such links, then?

And that no one here uses a Dillon for 600 or 1000 yard ammo?

This is a BENCHREST forum/site. Very little use of dillon presses in that type of shooting.
If you go to a dcm/cmp/nra site/forum you may get input on press use for that type of shooting.

We asked a question about type of shooting, you chose to not answer.

I thought there were more of you.

Okay, you don't use Dillon, and you have no links, then.

We've all got dillons- we just dont use them to load match ammo. It can load decent ammo if you follow the advice given already. It needs a toolhead upgrade and a prometheus on top. Other than those routes its good for loading lots of pistol rounds fast

Shot a lot of competition back in the day various types. used all kinds of semi auto presses, when they muck up its a huge mess.... and they will muck up. went back to single stage across the board. No over/under charges or improper primer insertion and all the rest of the little gremlins that happen.

I think you have been told.
Not for BENCHREST, yes for cmp/dcm/nra.
Have you done a search on the net for an answer ??
Yes g david tubbs...11 time national champ, has used dillons to load with, but not a stock press.

Just because a benchrest forum cannot confirm something, about a different
type of shooting, does not mean it cannot be done.

I see.

I was looking for anyone who could back the claim that it's reasonable to use a 650 for match ammo.

Back