reloading equipment questions.....

K

Kasey

what kind of reloading equipment are you guys using, I know there is tons of it, im just trying to get a general idea....sizers and seaters......:cool

Kasey ...

Go to the "SEARCH" function above. Put in the words "sizers and seaters" and you'll have plenty to read about for days. :cool:

Kasey,
Just a quick question here; what type of reloading are you doing? It'll make a difference, believe it or not. Don't use benchrest techniques if your loading for service rifle, and vice versa. There's plenty of good reloading books and manuals out there, and they should be the very first piece of "equipment" you buy. That'll save you money and keep you out of trouble til you get your feet under you. I'd follow the suggestion to contact Sinclair, too. They have a huge library to get you started, and the guys there are both very knowledgeable and helpful.

Sincerely,
Kevin Thomas

from someone relatively new to reloading ...

I understand the basis of your question as it is was quite overwhelming to me when I started.

After doing a lot of reading (via the web and print) I then went back to research to determine specific brands and found that there is a very strong proponent group for each major brand. So unless you have a close friend that can help you work with a specific brand it really doesn't seem to matter.

I decided to call Sinclair and see what they said as the folks there are shooters. I spent a lot of time on that first call (telling them what I was trying to do) and got some great suggestions on what I should order. My next step was to take the list that call generated and go to their catalog and see if there was anything that was described as doing the same job but might be a little cheaper and help my budget. I only found a couple of minor items and ended up with about a 95% match with what was suggested in that first call to Sinclair.

Hope this helps.....

BTW, I see you are in Waynesboro ... if you ever get a little south of Richmond I'd be happy to show you what I am doing ......

sizer and seater

My FL sizing die is custom, made to match my chamber specs, bushing type. Redding TIN coated bushings, .259 or .260 for a .262 neck chamber, depending on brass final neck wall thickness and desired neck tension. Another approach for 6ppc is to send 3 fired cases to Harrel who will fit then to one of three semi custom bushing dies. That is what I would do if I did not have a die that matched my chambering reamer specs. As to seaters, I use a Wilson SS micro adjustable top with a Sinclair arbor press. Works very well and is quite common.

I use a Redding Type S Bushing FL die with a .328 coated bushing for my 30BR. I use Imperial wax on the body and nothing on the shoulder or neck since the bushing is coated. Right now I have a Wilson seater, but may get a Redding comp seater so I dont have to carry so much stuff to the range.

My Redding die pushes the shoulder back .001, reduced the shoulder dia. by .001, and the base isnt reduced at all. It resizes my cases pretty close to chamber specs, so I got lucky in that regard.

My normal sizing routine is to remove the decapping assy and bushing, run the case in to size the body and bump the shoulder, the I put a 1/8" spacer under the die locking ring, replace the bushing and decapping pin, and size the neck. By stopping short 1/8" on the neck, it centers better in the chamber.

My rifle has a .332 neck, the necks are turned to .011 for a loaded round O.D. of .330.

Last edited:
Kasey ...

I'll be loading for 30br

The 30 BR is a great cartridge, even reported by some, to out shoot the 6PPC in groups. If you have not read this: http://www.6mmbr.com/30BR.html, I recommend it before you proceed any further. It will give you good insight into this cartridge, including reloading, by some of the best shooters who often provide comments on this forum. Al Nyhus being one of them. :)

Back