Redding Body Die #75319 6mm PPC USA & #74319 6mm PPC

)Stephan

Hi Boys and Girls,

I just received a 6mm PPC USA Redding Body die for my Kelbly rifle (6mm PPC .262), it was labeled as "6mm PPC" in the shop.
So I just called the seller and he told me that the same die is used for 6mm PPC and 6mm PPC USA - (I don't think so!).

Now I googled the die and it tells me that
75319 is for 6mm PPC USA
74319 is for 6mm PPC (Small Base)

Now as I understand the specifications are not the same,
the 6mm PPC USA has a bigger web Diameter than the 6PPC (Can you please explain Web Diameter ? Maybe a Picture?)
and a small base die is said to be tighter than SAAMI specs. So I believe the dies are not interchangeable..

BUT the 74319 is not listed anymore on the redding Website so i can not get any info from there - maybe it is discontinued?

Can you give me some Info on this Topic?

Thank you a lot,
Stephan

The redding dies usually dont work well with our min spec chambers. The ppc usa is for the factory chambered rifles like sako and ruger. Youll most likely need a custom fl sizing die. If you fire some cases 3-4 times and send them to a die maker itll solve your problems- i suggest whidden gunworks. Their in stock die usually works as well as any custom die

Dusty, thank you very much!
I did read about Whidden Gunworks in Tony's book and I am willing to get a custom FL die done - BUT I am not quite sure about the "how".
(Also I did read a lot about FL dies being recommended over neck-only-dies due to very high chamber pressures in the 6PPC)

Becuase I just recently got my 6PPC I still wait for most of the reloading equipment. Because of that I do not have any formed 6PPC cases yet.
So to get startet I ordered a body (the Redding I asked about) and neck & seater die (Wilson). With these dies I hope to be able to produce quality 6PPC brass from Lapua .220Russian.

Talking about a custom die, the problem is that I do not know nothing about the chamber and I do not have a reamer to chamber another barrel.
This made me think about the dies a bit - after shooting out the barrel that is installed (probably it is already shot out) what would I do with the die?
I do not think that anybody here in germany will make a chamber reamer from a die-reamer-print or from fired cases. So I would need a new die after changing the Barrel and it is quite a hassle to get dies over here from the USA to begin with.
So probably it is best to just order a new 6PPC chambered barrel along with a custom die and to get both(!) reamers here in germany..

Precision gunsmiths are very rare over here (do you remember my rimfire rifle? Just guess if I was able to find somebody in a 200 mile radius to bed it yet.. ).

The same Problem applies to my other rifles by the way.

Now after all, thank you for your Input on the 6PPC and 6PPC USA.
I did attach some CIP specifications to this post also, there actually are quite some differences between those two!
View attachment 6PPC USA.pdfView attachment 6PPC.pdf

Jstephan,
Ihave two of Harrells dies that I use all the time, and would also consider using one made by Whidden. I do have and occassionaly use the 6ppc small base die, and a couple of months ago left home without it! While in Phoenix for 2 months I found myself needing one and one of the guys told me to call Butchs reloading because he had some in stock! So I called and he shipped one out to me and it was $65.00 plus shipping.

Some time ago I had a couple of custom vari-x base dies. Regardless of the size I used I could never find the right size for long. After talking to Kent Harshman, he suggested I obtain a "6MMPPCSBB/FLT6" Redding die. At the time Sinclair had them in stock. At the time Kent told me the case life he was getting and it was impressive. It solved my problem.

Redding Body Die #75319 6MM PPC USA & #74319 6MM PPC

Some time ago I had a couple of custom vari-x base dies. Regardless of the size I used I could never find the right size for long. After talking to Kent Harshman, he suggested I obtain a "6MMPPCSBB/FLT6" Redding die. At the time Sinclair had them in stock. At the time Kent told me the case life he was getting and it was impressive. It solved my problem.
Martin - I too, have a Redding full length sizer die but with a different imprint than yours. Mine is "6MMPPCSBB/FLX7" . Just the last two numbers (X7) are different than yours. Do you, or anyone else, know the difference between the two dies (the X7 and the T6)?

Thanks to all for the input.

27-T

Just for your Information and back to the original question: no it does not work ;) Just dropped a unfired case in the 6PPC USA body die but the bolt on my 6PPC won't close.

P.S. @Martin & 27-T: Redding told me they made several custom dies for the 6PPC. Maybe this explains the different numbers.

@Dusty:
Yes, Martin is still in the business and I tend to believe he is the only one.. Good for him :D I know him from shooting BR50 and he is a very nice guy!

Yes hes a nice guy and the best in the biz over there. Not sure what all hes willing to do these days but if you can get him on something he'll fix it for you. He knows a lot about ppc

Back