Recent Success at 1K

a.JR

Hi All , I am having a great year in 1000yd Benchrest this time around , got a Heavy Gun 6 match going at 5.914 ins , this is my 1st time under the 6 inch mark .. Still got a coupla matches to go before years end , so i hope to replace the worst one at 7.300ins shortly .. Especially pleased as this year has been a trial weather wise but those 187 BIBs just keep shootin through it ,Here's hoping..JR..Jeff Rogers

jeff

you still have the September and November International 1000yd BR Postal Matches remaining this year, so who knows, maintain your consistent form and your average could be much smaller than 6" !!!

goodluck.

cheers

dave goodridge

narromine 1000yd BR

Hi Max,Phil,Rich,Charles and Dave , Yea sure brings a smile to the dial to shoot 5x 5inch groups in a row ..2 left to go but at the worst time of the year now .. Snuck one through before during our heavy mirage matches before today,so there is still hope .. Those aggs from up Missoula way this year sure are something to behold , anyway Thanks all..JR..Jeff Rogers..ps Charles Email incoming

Jeff,

Congtradulations on your fine effort.....we all know how tough it is to shoot one small one. To Avarage "small ones" is worth bragging about.

Now a small hyjac........the BIBs I have gotten all seem to have a coating of oil, grease, wax, or something. They are very dull looking and feel oily to the touch. Do yours have this? If so, do you clean them in any way, or just shoot 'em?

Hi Tod , Must of had 10 different batches from BIB since 2003 , Never had any with a coating .. I would remove it if it were my bullets .. I batch in AOL lengths,Meplat uniform , check bearing surface, check base to ogive at .300 and .200 , check weight and check the folds on the inside of the jacket just infront of the lead core .. Then i shoot em.. Only ever found 1 with a problem but i still can't help myself to know everything is the same ..JR..Jeff Rogers
Jeff,

Congtradulations on your fine effort.....we all know how tough it is to shoot one small one. To Avarage "small ones" is worth bragging about.

Now a small hyjac........the BIBs I have gotten all seem to have a coating of oil, grease, wax, or something. They are very dull looking and feel oily to the touch. Do yours have this? If so, do you clean them in any way, or just shoot 'em?

Yah....I was a little foggy on a bit of what he said. That would be the bit just after "Hi Tod" to just before "Then I shoot em..." :confused: :D

Seriously though....I though true custom bullets didn't need sorting. At least not to the extent that off the shelf bullets should be sorted..

Last edited:
Tod, you probably didnt understand because of his Australian accent. Ask him if next time he can type slower and hit the keys harder so you can understand.

Seriously though....I though true custom bullets didn't need sorting. At least not to the extent that off the shelf bullets should be sorted..
They don't. Not to the "extent." Far as that goes, I don't sort BIBs. I've had more excitement watching paint dry. Of course, I've set my seating die up so the seating stem pretty much mirrors the barrel throat, so whatever jam I use stays the same bullet to bullet, regardless of ojive length . . .

For those of you that think the base length matters a lot, I tested some 187 BIB boat-tails for R.G. against the 187 flatbase (i.e., same bullet, just that one has a boat-tail). Hmm, at 100 yards, both flatbase and boat-tail went into the same hole. No, the BTs aren't available, this was just a test.

5 inch HG groups are great. Here's Match 7 results at White Horse on Saturday. Only 2 shooters in the 5s & one in the 4s.

033.jpg

Back