Rear Locking actions?

Chris do you guys use barrels with left twists like your toilets that flow backwards or do you go for the Hart, Krieger, Bartlein, Shilen barrels we use. Have a good day in sunny Australia/New Zealand, nice place to shoot.

he he :D I'll pay that!

With the export restrictions that have been imposed in recent times at your end it's become very difficult for us to get a lot of decent gear without huge waits or significant middleman markups :(

dbridges

Scoundrals, those Chinese middlemen sticking you Aussies with import duties, hang them from the yard arm. Damn blokes. Ooye.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

In the 1980's I tested some bolt action rifles that shot ok when action was dry. I had a problem with the magazine action on one of the rifles tested and we put some oil in it to make it function all right. This was done to make cartridges chamber without trouble. Oil on cartridges made the hits come 80cm lower on the 300m target being used. All rifles with rear locking lugs tested made an impact change of about 80cm lower at 300m. With the front locking lugs no change at all. Maybe someone should try a little water or oil on the cartridges to see what happens? Does it yield?

I had forgotten about that. I can recall when i was at our sniper school when the Aus army was looking at replacing the aging old Mark 4s and the Steyr SSG was there and i remember clearly that when it rained and the cartridges got wet, the rifles impact was completely different. Not 80 cm at 300 m bad, but it was a considerable amount out. Thinking back on it now with the knowledge of time and experience, it must be from a different bolt thrust where the cases are not able to grip the chamber walls as they should. The selection made was tor the Parker Hale model 82, but it sported the Kahles ZF69 which was on the Steyr. The Steyr was not chosen, but it was not due to what i just described, it was because the locking lugs were at the rear of the bolt when open, thus making them prone to collecting dirt and grit. Shame really, as the Steyr was a tack driver. The Parker Hale was a junker.

I had forgotten about that. I can recall when i was at our sniper school when the Aus army was looking at replacing the aging old Mark 4s and the Steyr SSG was there and i remember clearly that when it rained and the cartridges got wet, the rifles impact was completely different. Not 80 cm at 300 m bad, but it was a considerable amount out. Thinking back on it now with the knowledge of time and experience, it must be from a different bolt thrust where the cases are not able to grip the chamber walls as they should. The selection made was tor the Parker Hale model 82, but it sported the Kahles ZF69 which was on the Steyr. The Steyr was not chosen, but it was not due to what i just described, it was because the locking lugs were at the rear of the bolt when open, thus making them prone to collecting dirt and grit. Shame really, as the Steyr was a tack driver. The Parker Hale was a junker.

Tony,
Interesting experience.

The problem with the SSG is the fact that the locking kugs are of the interruppted threads system, amking the lugs at an angle of approximately 10-12°, not perpendicular. This obviously makes the cartridge position vary if:
-A) The Bolt is not closed ecactly same each time.
-B) If there is somenting between chamber walls and case taper, a film of water or oil for isntance.
-C) If the ammunition has dimmentional variations from one to other.

This is EXACTLY the same problem for an other model of interrupted threads locking rifle acton...this one being a FRONT LOCKER..

R.G.C

Back