Rear Bag Spacers

A

abintx

Anyone know who carries rear bag spaces made of solid neoprene other than Tru-Kote Products or Sinclair?

First inexpensive idea that came to mind was computer mouse pads. I know I've got a bunch of them for free and I think they might work well for that application, especially since the undersides are made to grip. Other than that, McMaster-Carr does sell neoprene, and you could order it and cut to your exact specifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
First inexpensive idea that came to mind was computer mouse pads. I know I've got a bunch of them for free and I think they might work well for that application, especially since the undersides are made to grip. Other than that, McMaster-Carr does sell neoprene, and you could order it and cut to your exact specifications.

Katokoch, the Tru-Kote product is unique. Not something that can be duplicated via normal means. Much trial-N-error and research into durometer and recovery rate, damping.... and it's adjustabler than a stack of mousepads.

checkiddout

al

Katokoch, the Tru-Kote product is unique. Not something that can be duplicated via normal means. Much trial-N-error and research into durometer and recovery rate, damping.... and it's adjustabler than a stack of mousepads.

checkiddout

al

I believe it, I mean I've got Protektor bags from Tru-Kote and the fabric is very unique. I was just throwing a simple idea out there. McM does have a wide selection of neoprene and rubber foams and that could be worthwhile (at least more so than a local Office Max).

kato ...

First inexpensive idea that came to mind was computer mouse pads.

Thanks for the thought but mouse pad material is much too soft. Never use a soft material under any rest, front or rear. Remember .001" movement at the rifle is magnified on the target. That's why I specified hard neoprene. :)

I have made them out of conveyor belting. Some local ranges use it for target backing. It is black neoprene with poly cording. I have seen it in thickness from 1/4 " to 3/4". We were able to get tons of the stuff from the cement plants here in the Northeast....that may change as one by one they are shutting down.

Art

Just an opinion, but I still think the best spacer you can put under a rear bag is the old originol Otto Do-Nut. It is a true sandbag, and conforms to any surface, while holding the rear bag rock solid with no movement.

About 8 years ago, Jay Lynn Gore made me a 1 inch thick one that I have used ever since.........jackie

Jackie ...

Just an opinion, but I still think the best spacer you can put under a rear bag is the old originol Otto Do-Nut. It is a true sandbag, and conforms to any surface, while holding the rear bag rock solid with no movement.

About 8 years ago, Jay Lynn Gore made me a 1 inch thick one that I have used ever since.........jackie

I need one that will encompass a Protektor bag with a 5" x 7" footprint. I've tried the Otto before but sent it back because it was way too small. The Tru-Kote spacer is perfect because it is exactly 5X7 but it looks like Dave is still very ill and not conducting business.

Is Jay Lynn still in the business of making those 1" thick bags?

Rear bag spacer

Anyone know who carries rear bag spaces made of solid neoprene other than Tru-Kote Products or Sinclair?

Tom Dunrud makes a 3/4 in. thick,with a hollow center, rear spacer/stabilizer. He has an ad under rests and bags. Accura Tool 218-894-2245

Another alternative

A friend made these for me out of rubber gym flooring. The skinny one is 3/8" and the thick has 2 pieces glued together to make 3/4".

The flooring can be a bit expensive, but the 2'x2' interlocking squares can sometimes be found on ebay at a reasonable price.

spacers.jpg

abintx,
I have one I purchased from Ed Watson, 8 years ago, and here's the manufactures info;

Accura Tool & Eng.
1406 Praire Ave. W.
Staples, MN 56479
218-894-2245

Hope this helps

Dave ...

Tom Dunrud makes a 3/4 in. thick,with a hollow center, rear spacer/stabilizer. He has an ad under rests and bags. Accura Tool 218-894-2245

No one by that name currently advertising spacers under rest & bags. The one that's there, is using material with ridges attached to wood. That type material, with all those ridges, tends to aggregate movement.

Actually, I just spoke with Mr Dunrud and ordered one of his stabilizers. Here's his link found on the Benchrest Central Home Page under Categories / Accessories on the left side of the page, and then Accura Tool & Engineering: http://www.benchrest.com/accura/stabiliz.htm.

Rear Bag Spacer

Last year I purchased a UltraFabric rear bag and Spacer from Dave Dorhmann.:) The spacer is made of very hard rubber that grips most any surface. There is a hollow in the center of the spacer that allows the rounded portion on the bottom of the bag to sit into it, consequently the bag is very lever and stable.

Daves web-site: http://tru-kote.com

shinny ...

Last year I purchased a UltraFabric rear bag and Spacer from Dave Dorhmann.:) The spacer is made of very hard rubber that grips most any surface. There is a hollow in the center of the spacer that allows the rounded portion on the bottom of the bag to sit into it, consequently the bag is very lever and stable.

Daves web-site: http://tru-kote.com

Please read the first Thread. :)

Please excuse my ignorance, but why would you need to use one in the first place? I have a nice one, dont know who made it, but i dont ever use it. Should i be? Thanks Lee

When the time comes, you will see the reason of the need, I second Jackies post

Back