Rear bag question please. Need advice!!

skeetlee

What rear bag would be best for my 6ppc mcmillan bruno edge stock? I want to buy the best bag i can and i need experienced advise for this stock. thank you! Lee

Height of ears is really just a preference. The two main things to consider are.

1. If your a bag squeezer, you want a bag with softer sides for squeezing. If you are a knob turner or handle mover (farley) then you want to consider a bag that has harder sides and maybe a little larger.

2. The second thing to consider is the spacing between the ears. These are normally refered to in width by stitches (ie: two or three stitch). This comes into play depending on the width of the stock on the bottom.

Check out the Edgewood bag site. Very nice stuff.

Hovis

I shot on Mike's SEB version of the Gator with twisted ears. Had to have one. It and the new bag for the Farley are downstairs "breaking in" right now.

Here is the bag i have. I bought this with a bunch of other items. The rifle is very firm in this bag but the bottom of the pistol grip was sitting on the bag causing fliers. I have only used this one time this year as the weather has been crap. I might be able to play around with my set up to avoid this. I kinda thought i would look for something else though. What bag is this? I dont see it on edge-woods site anywhere. Thanks Lee

mybag004.jpg

I forgott to mention that i dont have a shooting style yet, as this will be my first year with the ppc. I would assume i will be a knob adjuster, but i just dont know.
One other thing i need to ask. What direction is the rear bag supposed to be? Rounded part towards the target or away from? I have seen fellas do it both ways. If i turn the bag around i wont have any trouble with the pistol grip hitting the bag. DUH!!! LOL!!! But like i said i have seen equal amount of shooters with there bags each direction. Thanks fellas i know this sounds pretty basic, but thats just were i am at. Lee

Last edited:
Lee, few things are as subjective as what's the best rear bag.

Your idea of 'best' may change as you get some more experience. Most every BR shooter has an asst. of rear bags the've worked with or tried through the years.

My suggestion is to start with a good, basic rear bag like this Protector with a single stitch between the ears.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/fullsize/8037/294

Having the bottom of the butt riding on the flat between the ears can give some sneaky vertical. -Al

rear bag

skeet i think what you have there is a gary sinclair style bag.great free recoil style bag,been shootin one for about 2yrs.i think edgewood made a couple doz. 2-3 years ago. let me know if you want to sell. jack

Edge stocks can be somewhat fussy because they are so light and stiff. Bags must be fit close and be tight but not too tight or they can give you fliers. My Edge likes snug side tension on the front rest and it absolutely can't ride on top of the ears in the rear. It must be fit down inside the ears and use the top of the bag for support from beneath.

After experimenting with several different bags, I have found the Edgewood front bag packed pretty hard with heavy sand for the front and a slightly less packed Edgewood gator bag in the front with bunny ears spaced 3/8" to 1/2" apart. WIth this system, my Edge is almost a return to battery type rail system (which it will need to be if you choose to become a knob-tweeker).

If you can't fire a shot and slide the rifle back into the stop and have your crosshair inside the mothball, you have a problem if you're a knob-tweeker. Bag squeezer or joystick methods don't require such precision in the bags.

Here's what my setup looks like:

gatorbag.jpg

so is there a proper direction for the bag to sit? Or is this personal preference as well. Also i have noticed on my edgewood front bag sitting in My JJ Industries front rest isnt real tight. I have to screw in the heck out of my tension adjusters to get the front bad to firmly hold the rifle forearm. Should i add more sand? I really have to crank on the side adjustment until i can get anymore out of them. I sure wish a had a great mentor to hang with. My buddy Jim is a pretty good shot and he helps me out as much as he can, so i am not completely alone. I cant hardly wait until spring!!! I am ready to do some serious shooting!! Thanks Lee

I know i talk a lot fellas, but i love this stuff!! Anyway i have been playing with my rear bag, and it only works one way. Cure forward. I think it will be a good bag afterall. I moved my stop farther forward and added a big more sand to the front bag and it feels pretty darn solid!! I wish i could go out and shoot. Kids have soccer in the morning and there calling for rain in the afternoon. This is the only weekend i have had that my wife hasn't had to work, and it looks like its going to be a flop! I need to move to arizona!! Thanks fellas. Lee

PS I am going to ask about rear bags for the tooley MBR stock in the long range forum. If you know of one that works well for you please let me know. I have an edgewood rear bag for the Shehane st-1000 i am going to be selling, so i can purchase a rear bag for my MBR stock if anyone is interested. 100 bucks! Its a nice one. I guess it was made just for that stock! Thats what they told me at edgewood anyway. Thanks again fellas! Lee

Lee what

u using for a front rest?

Myself, by looking at the picture I would have more sand in the ears. They look like they are on the soft side.

But what do I know for sure. I just have a new SEB rest to play with this spring.

Calvin

I have a JJ Industries front rest. Its is a very nice front rest but i am thinking about selling or trading it for a Farley type rest. We will see how it goes this spring. Thanks Lee

so is there a proper direction for the bag to sit? Or is this personal preference as well. Also i have noticed on my edgewood front bag sitting in My JJ Industries front rest isnt real tight. I have to screw in the heck out of my tension adjusters to get the front bad to firmly hold the rifle forearm. Should i add more sand? I really have to crank on the side adjustment until i can get anymore out of them. I sure wish a had a great mentor to hang with. My buddy Jim is a pretty good shot and he helps me out as much as he can, so i am not completely alone. I cant hardly wait until spring!!! I am ready to do some serious shooting!! Thanks Lee

Typically, if the bag has a taper from front to rear, it needs to be positioned to match the taper of the stock.

Here's a pic of my front rest. With the Edgewood bag filled properly, it has no problem putting as much tension on the Edge stock as needed. If you need more adjustment, put more sand in your bag or you can use Delrin shims.

PICT0292.jpg

rear Bag

Hello, This is the rear bag that I am using in Italy manufactured from my friend.
The rear bags are made very well and the rifle is very stable......
regards

Attachments

• Rest 003.jpg
    Rest 003.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_4345.jpg
    100_4345.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 410
  • 100_4347.jpg
    100_4347.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 429
In the first picture, I notice that there are two fill flaps for the base. Are there two sand chambers in the base? Also, how much does the baffle shown in the last picture cut down on sound, as heard away from the firing line, and what does it do to the sound level that the shooter experiences?

shootin tunnel...

Great looking rear bag....and like Boyd asked ...woow that box to shoot out of is strange....I am spoiled here in the country with lots of room to shoot and no one to bother me.....that would be creepy to always wonder if someone or something is gonna walk out in front of the gun....Roger

goodgrouper
Thats what i did. I put more sand in the front bag and all is well. Your ears look shorter than mine though. Probably a different edgewood front bag. I really like how solid my rear bag is. The rifle has zero play. I think it just needs to be slid back a little. I will try and play with it some more if the weather ever breaks!!! Thanks for all the relies, I really appreciate it! Lee

I use a Seb Bigfoot bag with my McMillian Edge with heavy sand it weighs about 19 lbs and works great

Back