reactive target suggestions

I haven't looked in a while, but you could get 20lb bags of ammonium nitrate prills on eBay for about $50 over a year ago.
That's cute.

On one hand your legislators are "protecting" you with questionable branded bullet legislation & FFL hassels while on the other you can buy nitroprill in convenient 20 pound bags that any terrorist can pack his boot with right beside the jerry can of diesel.

You may as well come over here to live.

Naaahhh, it's actually hard right now to buy prilled AN, they blame "911" but I think it's just control. The poor farmers are taking it hard. The whole political angle is just sad.

We've been into pyrotechnics here for a long time, I've been fiddling with small fireworks and private fireworks displays for 30yrs and my #3 son really took to it. He's in the Marine Corp now, hoping to cross-train with UDT/SEAL demo teams, with plans to go on to New Mexico Tech for an engineering degree in demolition. I guess it's "the" college for demolition/explosives engineering...... the MIT of BOOM. He found out young that this is an expensive hobby and decided early that he's gonna' get PAID to blow stuff up.

It's been a fun ride with him, his teachers in High School have been behind him all along as he's a fine student, even got to do explosives oriented projects in school. Kinda' funny in this age of meth labs, I've got a 12X16 wellhouse that's been his laboratory for several years. They're developing a rock pit only a mile away from our home and they started sending in a technician to draw our well water every month. One day I realized that the poor lady's probably completely FREAKED by the hotplates and retorts constantly bubbling in our well house. My son had created his own little environment in there, rolls of wire and 100ct banks of switches....funny smells...Ball mills running, precipitates and oily yellow mixtures fuming and dripping into covered bowls, bent and holed steel plates all over.......goggles and suits and face shields hanging on the wall.

So one day I was home when I saw the tech drive up there and went up to meet the lady. We talked for a while and she says "BTW, who's the chemist?"

Ohh no, here it comes...... :(

"My 16yr old son."

"Ohh that SO AWESOME to see kids USING THEIR MINDS!!! :):):) He could be in playing Nintendo and he's out here getting a nitro headache instead... I'm sure you're proud if him!!!!"

Yeahh BAYBIE!!! I coulda' give 'er a hug right there. I shouldn't have been worried. :) she knew what was going on the whole time. Weren't no meth lab.

I guess engineers run true to type even be they be they hydrological engineers!!

But yeahhh, these binaries. at 100yds a half pounder will tug at your shirt and make you step back. We've used them to get rid of bunch of buried boulders in the lawn, the AN/AL mix has greater shattering capability than ANFO or straight dynamite. It don't lift for beans but it sure crumbles rocks and produces a nice gut-wrenching boom. For lifts we use ANFO.

Mirage416, I'm sure you're right and #3 son would be right there with you. He doesn't even really share information anymore with us non-engineering types.... We still say "explosion" while he talks in terms of "reactance" and "yield" and "decomposition properties." Regarding the safety, we really are safety conscious and he more than us. I'd see him jamming tubes full of powders using a 20 ton arbor press that he'd built and I'd wince a little since my work has all been with BP stuff. He built gerbs and flowers ground pounders that put me to shame and never so much as got a burn. He won't even tell his friends (or us) about his mixes, especially detonating primaries. He'd mix up novelty stuff like nitrogen tri-iodide, show us how cool it was and then destroy it all. For the fireworks shows he'd cook up detonating mixes like styphnates and azides, ETN and PETN, and we'd have to use it all up. He never stored anything. I remember one time we were down on the range shooting and he came over with a paper plate of white powder, maybe a teaspoon (he talks only in metric weights ;) ) and said "check this out." He slipped a little onto a hunk of cardboard, maybe half an aspirin tablet's worth, and told me to tap it with a hammer. We all had our safety glasses and ear plugs on....... it took chunks out of the concrete shop floor! I know safety procedure for the BP mixes, binary AN, even the "flash" perchlorate/AL mixes don't scare me but high order stuff is out of my league..... a man's gotta' know his limitations. Yeahh, "safety" takes on a whole new meaning when dealing with high order stuff. And "thunderous" is an accurate term. About a half pound is right where we want it. We've gone up to 3lb but the thunder is only slightly more than 1/2lb (The old inverse square issue.)

Yup, we're missing him, and the earthquakes he produced daily. Thanks for bringing it up.

For shooters looking for a cool reactive novelty target, just search Tannerite online to buy really loud targets for $2-4.00 a pop. For the casual NON-chemist types it's a spectacular value for the money. You can set up "bullseyes" at about 1/4lb per 100yds distance and folks will KNOW the score. DO NOT shoot these within 3 miles of a residential area or the cops WILL show up! These don't pop like firecrackers nor bang like M-80's, they ROAR.

sorry to derail the thread guys, I'm just reminiscing here. His lab is gone, it's a garden shed now. He'll have to improvise when he comes home.

LOL

al

Al Socorro not very much to do but a very good school. Remember some formulas for Thermite, Homemade Napalm, CO2 Boomers, Improv Claymoors etc. There is also a FBI or Federal Gov't explosives test facility in Socorro similar to the one at Eglin Air Force Base.

As for targets. I prefer Biodegradables:

Jello brand Gelatin In quart or gallon plastic jugs 100 125 150 175 200yds up down left right of center.

Dollar store cookies on fishing line off hole drilled in real estate sign use alligator clips to hold. feeds some of the critters also.

Balloons on a string tied to shrubs simulates head shots at 200-300yds.

Golf balls Drill half hole insert screw tie to string and then to hole in real estate sign or other metal target holder.

Squash, Pumpkins, Tomatoes, Etc. Garden leftovers at end of year.

Lifesavers etc. Yucca Pods, Clay pigeons.

Leftover Police, Sheriff Dept, Border Patrol Training Targets.

Primers, shot gun shells, 22lr cases, asprin, stick matches, pencils length wise, glass bottles, sheet rock, concrete, old tires, tv sets, vacuume cleaners, wood 2x4's, bricks, car and truck doors of various years, Headlights tailights, old car bodies,VCRs, roofing materials, floor materials, washers, dryers, paneling, stucco, windows windshields, anything from a house car etc. placing targets in front and beyond these items to see ballistics effects. The only thing safe from a .22lr at 100yds is American car and truck doors prior to 1972 and some plastics.
Cactus, Snakes, Stink Bugs, Kangaroo Rats, Ground hogs, Prarie Dogs, Brake discs and Drums, Old engine blocks, Dozer Blades, old Road signs, Railroad ties, Wet Phone books. Armor Piercing Rounds Through 7/8" steel plate. Rocks Dirt Clods etc. Screws, Nails, Plastic Beads and Pot Pouri Decorations from dollar stores,
Chyalume flourescent light sticks. Night shooting in an old abandoned mill, old foundations ghost towns. old Business signs and railroad parts, safety glass, plastics, drink coolers, styrofoam, rope, twine, wire, cardboard, etc.

22LR out of a handgun will pop tires at 50yds, penetrate 3 2x4's, and go through any car and truck doors. Highpower rifles are capable of this at 500-600yds.

Isn't much I haven't shot through, but now mostly paper targets.

If you want reactive.

I think the Montana Dynamite shoot is pretty good example.

It is self explainatory and there is no doubt if you hit your target.

Rustystud

Alinwa,

Good stories. Reminds me all too much of the many rural blasting memories I have.

As for ammonium nitrate, it's still not illegal to possess or sell. They have just tried placing certain restrictions on agricultural sellers to try and bottleneck the flow into peoples hands. But the product still isn't regulated. I bet if you watch long enough, it will show up on ebay. Or again, it is a hydroponic fertilizer, so someone has to sell it for that purpose.

Instead though, you can get 10lbs of potassium nitrate on ebay for about $20 right now. Just did a search. It won't oxidize as much as ammonium nitrate, but it will sure do the trick to get a decent detonation. It can be sensitized with nitromethane as well. Try something like 60:40 PNNM or maybe a little higher PN content till you get it to go with a rifle. Some aluminum powder will work there also in the mix.

I haven't looked for 99.9% nitromethane, but as a common race car fuel, I know gallons of it are available to the public.

You have luck getting AL/AN to det from a rifle? Are you mixing it 90:10 or less on aluminum? I didn't think that mixture would be sensitive enough by itself. I know ANFO surely isn't rifle sensitive. You need a booster to get it to go.

One thing I just have to disagree with you on. 3lbs sounding only slightly louder than 1/2lb. NO WAY!!! You are right about the CJ square effect on wave pressure making it harder to go a distance and remain loud. But, if you shoot 3lbs at 100 yards after shooting a 1/2lb at 100 yards, good lord the difference. 3lbs with 10-15% aluminum will damn near make you crap your pants at that distance.

AL/AN vs ANFO will both achieve around 40 kilobars of blast pressure. I think what you are seeing on the boulders is the effect of an aluminized mixture actually having a higher total energy output than non-metalized mixtures. In the initial detonation front, only a very small percentage of aluminum is consumed with the oxidizer in the mixture. After the initial extreme pressure superheats and expands the aluminum cloud, it then actually consumes a volume of surrounding oxygen from the atmosphere in mere milliseconds. So the total weight of consumed fuels and oxidizers is higher than what is actually weighed on the scale. Since the aluminum is not oxidized fully in the initial detonation wave, it does not contribute to peak pressure (thus why it is the same as ANFO). The pulse effect is simply extended by the time frame of consumption, and the wave energy is greater. This is like using a slower rifle powder in a firearm. The pressure spike may not be as great, but the spike lasts longer, and the impulse converted to kinetic energy can actually be greater at lower pressure. This is why thermobaric explosives used in military weapons do so much damage to more distant objects--like the MOAB, for instance. They are highly aluminized mixtures.

Alinwa,

You have luck getting AL/AN to det from a rifle? Are you mixing it 90:10 or less on aluminum? I didn't think that mixture would be sensitive enough by itself. I know ANFO surely isn't rifle sensitive. You need a booster to get it to go.

One thing I just have to disagree with you on. 3lbs sounding only slightly louder than 1/2lb. NO WAY!!! You are right about the CJ square effect on wave pressure making it harder to go a distance and remain loud. But, if you shoot 3lbs at 100 yards after shooting a 1/2lb at 100 yards, good lord the difference. 3lbs with 10-15% aluminum will damn near make you crap your pants at that distance.

As I recall, the trick with the AL/AN mixes has to do with granulation. The AL HAS to be so finely divided that you wouldn't want to get it on ya'. I know that 3-son spent months finding how to grind it fine enough and avoid oxidation loss. It's nice that we have a fairly local supplier. I may be confusing myself here though with a KCLO4 mix....... "flash"....... I could find out with a phone call.

Regarding 3lb VS 1/2lb ............ Ok, OK!...... so I hyperbolized just a little :D:D:D but the raw fact is that sound effects are very locality specific and it takes a lot more energy to materially increase the "sound quotient" at a given spot. We live on a high area surrounded by 2000acres of timberland, it takes A LOT of thunder to be more impressive. The thing with the half-pounder is that you just mix the ingredients in a ziploc while conversing casually with the victim........knead it up good and run it into a corner to shape it into a perfect little cone, squeeze the air out.......now you just walk downrange 70-100yds and set it on the face of a stump and ask the guy if he thinks he can hit it. "there'll be a bang and a big puff of smoke".

k'WAMMMM!!!!! phblphblblblbphttt...!

By the same token even a quarter-pounder detonated in the neighborhood of a still summer evening will rattle windows for 10 city blocks.......this stuff AIN'T like firecrackers! It's not suitable for anything but detonation a mile from neighbors. I've got a mile long driveway.

BTW, one of the most impressive sound machines of all is a firecracker pile. If you can figger out how to get 20-50,000 firecrackers (or more) to rip off in less than 5 seconds it's AWESOME!!! I made up several piles last 4th and set them on 5/8 plywood for carrying...... we went out to pick up, the plywood was GONE!

Last yr at the PGI Convention's "Firestorm in Fargo" they did 2 million crackers 6ft off the ground. THIS BadBoy will peel your face back at a hunnerd paces.....

fun stuff.

al

Damn, al, don't use words I gotta look up on wikipedia! :eek:

Well I can see why, it'd be slow to write that way!

:D

al

Firecracker piles.......... here are a couple of pre-made bulk packs. Take something like these, add quick-match fuses into several spots to get allover ignition and then bury the whole thing in a large mound of firecracker packs........frigginRIPPIN!!!! man!

Makes people fall off their chairs.

Attachments

• 395571552505_0_ALB.jpg
    395571552505_0_ALB.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 293131552505_0_ALB.jpg
    293131552505_0_ALB.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 170
Back