Rattlesnake Match: Aug 17/18 @ Raton, NM

Hey guys:

I'm trying to make plans to shoot the Rattlesnake match Aug 17/18 in Raton. I've never been there and don't have a good understanding of the customs and procedures at the Whittington Center. My questions...

1) Will there be a chance to setup/tune on Friday Aug 16? If so, starting at what time?

2) Is it safe to leave reloading table setup and flags out overnight?

3) Are there sufficient reloading tables/chairs available or should I bring my own?

4) What is match fee and do I need to preregister?

5) Is lunch available Saturday and Sunday? Breakfast?

6) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

starting at the end.

6) the wind wiping around the building sux.
3) there were plenty of loading benches when i went.
2) flags and gear left out, but covered..again beware of the wind
1) i do not know the times but yes we shot on friday

i brought lunch. guys ate breakfast in raton.
i think i would pre-register

Hey guys:

I'm trying to make plans to shoot the Rattlesnake match Aug 17/18 in Raton. I've never been there and don't have a good understanding of the customs and procedures at the Whittington Center. My questions...

1) Will there be a chance to setup/tune on Friday Aug 16? If so, starting at what time?

3) Are there sufficient reloading tables/chairs available or should I bring my own?

Thanks for your help!

Raton is a great place to shoot, but there seems to be a thunderstorm every afternoon. If you are lucky, the match will be over before the rain and wind come. There is a large loading shed and unless it is a very large number of shooters, there is plenty room. Good luck and good shooting...James

Hey guys:

Thanks for your help!

Kyle, On Friday should be able to start shooting around 8 AM. Draw for benches and paying $120.00 is around 1PM They usually stop shooting around 2PM on Friday to set the target frames with backers. When everyone gets their flags set up they usually open the range again for practice.
There are four rows of picnic tables but I've never counted them. Maybe forty or fifty.
It is very safe to leave your gear in the building. I cover mine with a plastic tarp as do most people.
Don't know if the lunch wagon will be there. When they are it's usually just for lunch.
I'll probably get there Wednesday morning.

The Whittington Center has changed their procedure for setting the 100 and 200 yard frames. Now the 100 yard is set up on the left half of the range and the 200 on the right. This lets them set the frames once and the shooters traverse between benches for the different distances. Wasn't too bad to do this last week. Helps to have one of those fold up carts to do the job.

Raton is a great place to shoot, but there seems to be a thunderstorm every afternoon. If you are lucky, the match will be over before the rain and wind come. There is a large loading shed and unless it is a very large number of shooters, there is plenty room. Good luck and good shooting...James

This last Saturday the deluge stated about five minutes after we finished shooting for the day. Sunday was looking grim but turned out just a sprinkle.

Back