Range box, equipment carts etc.

M

MarkR

Guys, just getting into the BR game! I really don't want to make several trips to the truck (lazy) I would like to know what your recommendations are for a range cart ( rest, bags, flags etc.) and a range box for all of the other stuff like dies, presses, powder measures, tools etc.)
something that I could maybe load off of too in case I have to. Any ideas or pictures would be helpful. :)
Thanks
Mark

Lazy doesn't cut it in Benchrest!

Since you are new there are somethings that you'll find you need at a weekend match, and somethings that you need at a one day match, overtime you'll think there are somethings you've been bringing and don't need anymore. Once you take them out of your box you'll soon find out why they were in there in the first place. (Be Prepared) is a good motto. You'll need flags and stands, you'll need cleaning equipment, you'll need loading equipment, and components; primers, bullets, brass, and powder, you'll need minor repair and adjustment equipment, you'll need your rifle, and you'll need you bench top equipment (rest, rear bag, towel, loading block, timer, powder, stool). Now the question.

Do you want to pick all this up and put it in the truck at once, or spread it out a little and pick it up in little bits? Either way if you bring the stuff you need you'll be prepared, and you won't be lazy.

Lazy is the guy who brings the bare minimum and borrows incedental items from the rest of us.

Paul

Lazy doesn't cut it in Benchrest!

Since you are new there are somethings that you'll find you need at a weekend match, and somethings that you need at a one day match, overtime you'll think there are somethings you've been bringing and don't need anymore. Once you take them out of your box you'll soon find out why they were in there in the first place. (Be Prepared) is a good motto. You'll need flags and stands, you'll need cleaning equipment, you'll need loading equipment, and components; primers, bullets, brass, and powder, you'll need minor repair and adjustment equipment, you'll need your rifle, and you'll need you bench top equipment (rest, rear bag, towel, loading block, timer, powder, stool). Now the question.

Do you want to pick all this up and put it in the truck at once, or spread it out a little and pick it up in little bits? Either way if you bring the stuff you need you'll be prepared, and you won't be lazy.

Lazy is the guy who brings the bare minimum and borrows incedental items from the rest of us.

Paul

Thats quite a scolding about being lazy..., I suspect that wasn't exactly the correct word! :cool: I'd really like to be able to load it all on one cart if I can, Rest, bags in one box, flags/stands in another, and my loading equioment and tools in a box (preferably) that I can attach my presses to and powder measure and do my loading right off of that if necessary...at least thats how I envision this necessity.

Just kidding about the Lazy remark. Hope you can see that.

What works for us...

A box for cleaning stuff and components, A 4 drawer craftsmen chest for tools, a box for benchstuff, and a rod caddy, and rifle cases.

Paul

I was wondering about the toolbox thing. I really didn't want to come to a match and look like Tim the toolman Taylor UUUUUGH!
There is a neat range box on the classifieds for sale, but the seller won't answer me after he sent pics. It looks like it would take a little work to straighten out the drawers and other things a little anyway, and it's somewhat more than a 4 drawer tool cabinet would be anyway.
No harm on the 'lazy" scolding...I deserved it for not choosing the right word.
Thanks
Mark

Mark

there are so many options when it comes to storage for the items for matches. I have tried many items that I thought would work. This past winter I realized I had to downsize as I have a Ford Ranger and needed to fit everything into the truck and in my tool box.

The yellow case holds my SEB rest. The Pelican to the right on the floor holds all the bags and whatever else required at the bench. A second pelican holds my press, powder, bullets and primers.
The long box on the flr holds all mys flag stands along with stakes, bungees, and other associated flag parts. The Mastercraft tool box holds 8 flags plus spare vanes. Box to the right of it has spare scopes and mounting tools. Cloth bag has all my cleaning supplies. Finally I have another 3 drawer plastic Mastercraft tool box slightly larger than the one in the picture that holds the items required for reloading.

Matter of fact I should not store the primers with the powder....:eek::eek:

The flags,2 Pelicans, and gun case fit in the tool box along with the drummers stool.

The yellow case, spare scopes, loading box, and cleaning bag fit easily behind the seat of the truck. The only box in the back in the open is the one with the flag stands.

Looks like a lot of cases but they all get dropped off where required.

Calvin

Attachments

• DSCF1541.jpg
    DSCF1541.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 789
There are a number of options - - -

On the lower end, some fishing tackle boxes work out great. I found a plastic "Range Box" at a gun shop in Florida that is quite nice. It will not support a press but otherwise has lots of room and is LITE.

Last summer at the Score Nationals I saw some of the most fantastic Wooden Range Boxes I have ever seen. I didn't get the name of the maker or pictures as he left before I got a "Round Tuit" but I was told he makes them to sell. Perhaps someone who knows him or of him will chime in.

The very best boxes I have ever seen were there also. Their maker made it very clear that he was not in the business of making them and wasn't interested in doing so. His approacjh to both his Range Box and his Cleaning Box and his execution was incredible to someone like me to consider ever designing, never mind making them.

I have also seen lots of people using either Kennedy or Sears metal boxes that have a deep top. Someone use to make a small aluminum piece that clamps in the front corner of metal boxes with set screws that will hold a powder measure.

Personally, I load at home whenever I can.

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-03302...ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1268008215&sr=8-3

it holds the Farley, the Gator, drummer's throne, benchtop towel and some odds and ends like measuring tape, markers, etc.

You have to cut a piece of plywood to create a flat bottom.

Also have a Plano range box for all my cleaning gear.
The range box holds all my cleaning gear.

I have my ammo in these:
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/rifle/ammo-boxes-rifle-r-50.html

I'm trying to find something to conveniently carry my flags and probes. Right now, I'm using the cardbord boxes they were shipped in. It's not very satisfying.

Greg J.

I have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-03302...ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1268008215&sr=8-3

it holds the Farley, the Gator, drummer's throne, benchtop towel and some odds and ends like measuring tape, markers, etc.

You have to cut a piece of plywood to create a flat bottom.

Also have a Plano range box for all my cleaning gear.
The range box holds all my cleaning gear.

I have my ammo in these:
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/rifle/ammo-boxes-rifle-r-50.html

I'm trying to find something to conveniently carry my flags and probes. Right now, I'm using the cardbord boxes they were shipped in. It's not very satisfying.

Greg J.

I have that same Stanley tool box for my cleaning crap. I also use a Fold-It folding pull cart that I also use for NRA Highpower. Comes in handy for both.
fold-it-cart.jpg

I use a clear plastic storage container for the wind flags as well. The pull cart helps to get everyting from the truck to the firing line.

Thanks!

I can't believe that thing is at Sinclair. After all the stuff I have bought from them and the thousands of times I've thumbed through their catalog and browsed their website. Jeez!

I have got at least one Item from every page in Sinclairs catalog know ;)
They have everything I need without food :D

Thanks Kerry/Sinclair

Calvin,
I hate to break this to you, but you do not have enough STUFF ! :D

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

About those small aluminum pieces

that Pete mentioned on an earlier reply for the metal boxes for powder measures... I have a Kennedy 520 box and I could sure use one of those for my powder measure. Does anyone know where one could be located or who used to make them? Thanks, Don.

Back