Raising cross hair in 45 x leupold ???

chazgreen

chazgreen
I read in Mike Ratigan's book that some shooters had their cross hair raised 7 MOA. This enabled the shooter to keep the cross hair on the record target in the top 1/4th of the scope image while being able to see the last wind flag/tail in the bottom 1/4th of the scope image. How satisfied were you if you had this done? What changes did you have to make to the rings/base to accomodate for retaining adequtate elevation clicks for the scope? Thanks/ Chaz

Chaz....I think the reference to a raised crosswire was the "Skip Otto" reticle conversion...I have one in my 36x Leupold BRD scope...I am not sure it makes a big difference...because you really need to keep your primary focus on all your wind flags when you are shooting...get your dot or crosshair on the target and be ready to shoot, while watching your windflags...try to keep both eyes open as you "break" the trigger..If you take your eye off your line of flags to pull the trigger a condition change can jump up and bite your a**...
In response to a raised reticle in a 45x...I don't know of anyone using one..because the 45x has a much smaller field of view than the 36x...and having a wind flag in focus...would put that wind flag within 20-30ft of the target...and it is unlikely that wind flag would give you usable wind information...by itself...IMO.

Eddie in Texas

Eddie/ thanks for your response. At age 66, my tired eyes have trouble seeing that last flat/tail down 170 yards. With my 36x and setting the last flag just under the legal limit, I can see it (keeping both eyes open) and find that this helps me. "Clearly", with the 45 X that arrived yesterday, my field of view will shrink ....thus the question/ Chaz

Its just my opinion, but watching flags in the scope creates "Tunnel Vision". You can't see a pick-up or let-up coming from either direction. I like to watch the whole field to get a general idea what the wind is doing. You should be able to see the last two flags at 200 with your new 45X if thats what you want to do. I have shot the Rail Gun so much I prefer to shoot heads-up and watch all the flags at the same time includng the ones out in front of me. The mirage you see in the scope should agree with the flags and if does not agree, don't pull that trigger.

GW

Last edited:
Hey Gary

Its just my opinion, but watching flags in the scope creates "Tunnel Vision". You can't see a pick-up or let-up coming from either direction. I like to watch the whole field to get a general idea what the wind is doing. You should be able to see the last two flags at 200 with your new 45X if thats what you want to do. I have shot the Rain Gun so much I prefer to shoot heads-up and watch all the flags at the same time includng the ones out in front of me. The mirage you see in the scope should agree with the flags and if does not agree, don't pull that trigger.

GW

Whats a Rain Gun??? :confused: V

Vic, I corrected my typing error. Thanks. Has to be brain fog.

GW

Back