Rail Gun prints

B

Bill Gruby

I am new here so please bear with me. My name is Bill Gruby and I am looking for a set of prints to build a Rail Gun. I will even work with someone to produce a set of prints. We tried to get them from McClusky but he is now deceased and prints are no longer available. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

To admin. If this is in the wrong place I apologize. Please move it to the correct place.

Thank-You

"Bill Gruby"

Thank you for the post Wilbur. As I said I'll gladly draw up a set if I can get basic numbers. Then all that need them can get them.

"Bill Gruby"

OK-- nothing is out there, no problem. I will do it anyway. All I need from someone is a better than average Bolt action name and a Barrel name and length for 6mm PPC. Please don't take this as a whim, I assure you it is not. I will build this, with or without help.

"Bill Gruby"

I sent a message to both of you but I don't see in my sent messages where it went thru. Are either of you willing to get a set to me. I know what they cost so reimbursement is not an issue. Thank you both.

"Bill Gruby"

What material (metal) are Rail Guns constructed from?

"Bill Gruby"

Aluminum will overcome any Muzzle Climb that could exist during the recoil?? I was thinking 416 Stainless.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think you need steel but each to his own...that's what makes rail guns interesting. I don't know anything at all about cost or machining but can't think of anything else that would prevent the use of steel. I think Ed Pennebaker's rail was made of steel and it wasn't stainless. He would leave it out (in the rain) and it would rust up quite a bit. Was kinda "offsetting" to get beat by such a rusty device but it shot like the hammers of hell.

That said, rail guns need a good barrel...to be a good rail gun. Beyond that, you need to be able to shoot it very fast and that's what you're looking for in the design. Pay close attention to the effort and time it takes to shoot a sighter, return to the record target, make an adjustment and shoot.

Be doing some old school engineering and come up with something of interest Wilbur. Just the base, made from 7075 T3 1.5 inches thick and 10 X 28 inches. All shaped and drilled and tapped you have an up weight of close to 45 lbs. Multiply this by 2 and your piece comes in around 90 lbs. without all the rest. All together we are looking at maybe 120 lbs. total. Don't think we need steel here. :D I have been a machinist for over 40 years and this project will tax all I know and then some.

1 cubic inch of Aluminum weighs 1.56 ounces

"Billy G"

A Colorado shooter built a very competitive railgun laminating layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. Gun with barreled action still came in around 30 pounds total, I believe.

I don't know the magic that seems to become part of some rails and not others but when a gun has that magic, it is something special to shoot. My own belief is that the whole gun needs to be "in-tune". If it just isn't shooting up to par, try sliding the barrel in the block forward or back a bit, and watch for other areas where you can tweak the assembly (torque, position, etc). Even the smallest amount of change can help dial up from mediocre performance. I experimented a bunch with a Begg's style tuner on my rail and found that a .001" movement in the tuner could reliably change group size and shape.

Rod

At this point in time I would like to thank those that came forward to help me in my quest. Ian especially you for sending me all that info. I will have a set of prints finished by Friday. They will go to a Gunsmith friend of mine. If he gives them the OK, I will start one in a few weeks. Again, Thanks to all that helped the new guy.

"Bill Gruby"

The prints are complete sans dimensions. I will add them today and they are off to be checked by a professional Gunsmith. Do I have any doubts, absolutely not.

"Bill Gruby"

Attachments

• 102_1019 (800 x 531).jpg
    102_1019 (800 x 531).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 763
SILENCE --- The absolute worst form of criticism known to man. There is one thing we all forget, we were all new at something one time or another. We had to learn, someone had to help. I didn't become a Master Machinist without the help of others, I will also be the first to help when others ask. Guess I am different. Thanks again to those who did come forward.

"Bill Gruby"

What was the feed back from your gunsmith friend? Your project sounds great. I am interested in rail guns myself. I do not have access to the equipment or the knowledge to build one from the raw

Could you email me a set of the plans you have? I will pm you my email

Tim

Tim

First off thank you for asking. Now as for the Gunsmith, he said it could be built as is but some points could be beefed up to make it safer. This is slowing me down a tad but by no means is it stopping me. I will do as he recommended and take them back to him. No big issues were found, just not enough attention was given to safety stops and such.

Until one of these is built and tested I'm afraid no prints will be available. I cannot accept the responsibility that goes with it at this time. Sorry.

"Bill Gruby"

Back