Rail gun for AR uppers?

It uses Thompson bearings on ground shafting. There is enough mass that it needs no dampener,even with .50cal. The ammo companies have gone to something similar for testing toreplace the Mann V block and slide.

Interesting. What does the sliding upper weigh?

Don't know, we never weighed it. We do use a forklift or crane to move it. An M16 will only move the slide about an 1.5". We push the slide back to the stop after each shot.

Last edited:
How's the hand doing Bud? I guess your catfish noodling days are over ....for a while.

Doing good, spent a couple hrs on the lathe today, stitches come out next Wed.

I can again drink coffee while driving,

thankful every day,

moreso,

al

dbooksta..... And THIS is why THIS pertickler website is Da'Bomb'

Thank You Wilbur :)

al

Yep, this is a gem of a thread, it took a turn that I would never expected, there is a great knowledge base here.

Makes up for reading all the old grumblebum replies of "we don't talk about that stuff here, best you go somewhere else"

Jay, obviously you're an authority on these. Other than the beautiful finish of your rails could you offer a sort of "sales pitch" for outsiders like me? I.e., do your builds incorporate features that improve performance or precision over what the uninitiated might cobble together using stock materials and a mill?

For example, I can see that all adjustments can be done with more ease and precision on your bases. Although never having had the chance to operate a rail gun I don't know if that's a luxury or necessity.

The adjustment mechanisms that you see in the Young rail are primarily for competition use to traverse between sighter and record targets in a very precise and repeatable manner, these mechanism would not be necessary for your AR testing but would not inhibit it.

AR test fixtures, M16/AR15 or AR10

http://www.wisemanballistics.com/

Fixture3_zps569b8777.jpg

That Wiseman fixture is beautiful. That's what I originally had in mind, although it's not as versatile as the upper-rail-mount fixture they built at AMU. (It's also out of the price range of a hobbyist since it starts at over $20k!)

Back