Questions for the Australians

Boyd Allen

I notice that your sporter class has a weight limit of 9 lb. How do the records and usual aggregates compare with those of light and heavy varmint? What does a typical sporter barrel weigh? Thanks

Boyd,

Go to this site and go to Results up the top then click on Records then National Records...any records pre dating 2006 are records for the old rules which was the 12X scope and 8lb 14oz if I remember right...normally the aggs are not up to LV or HV....one of my sporter barrels for my Panda and old style Mcmillan stock weighs 3lb 10oz...My Bat with a Kelbly stock weighs 4lbs...both are fluted and both rifles have Weaver scopes.

http://www.benchrestbulletin.net/drupal/

Cheers
Steve

An average sporter barrel weighs in between three and a half pounds to just under four - depending upon the action and stock of course. Some shooters use the older type D series Leupold (or Weaver) scopes to allow for more meat in the barrel.
They shoot remarkably well, and give us a true difference between the light class and the sporter.

Twould seem to me

a much more sensable weight for a sporter, what they have Down Under. Wonder why the Yanks don't see the sport in the light Sporter? Our Rimfire Lads seem to.

Why not 9lb Sporters?

Wonder why the Yanks don't see the sport in the light Sporter? Our Rimfire Lads seem to.

HOF maybe....

Looking at the classes shot in the States from our perspective, having 2 classes with rifle specs the same and only having the calibre restriction seems ridiculous...you don't seem to have much of sense of adventure over there.

We changed our Sporter class from 8lb 14ozs and 12 power scope to 9lbs and unlimited scope power...there were a few people that weren't happy but now it's been done everybody just changes barrels and gets on with it.

I know if it's not invented in the USA you wont change it...stick a lighter barrel in and see what a challenge it really is...at least you will be shooting 4 classes in a 4 gun and not 3.

Cheers
Steve

Back