Question For Jackie Schmidt

critter_bill

Hi Jackie,

I tried to send this as a Private Message but it was rejected because your mail box is full. Please respond via Private Message.

I seldom post but have followed BR central since the late 90s. I noted awhile back that you mentioned that you did not trust the 42X fixed NF scope and there was a reason that NF has discontinued manufacturing it.

I have nine variable NF NXS and Competition scopes as well as one 40X March but have no experience with the NF Fixed power scopes. I greatly respect your knowledge and would appreciate it if you would share your reason for not liking or trusting the 42X.

Thinking about adding another fixed power to the mix but don't want to get a headache in the process.

Thank you, Sir, and Merry Christmas.

Bill Adcox
critter_bill

I too trust jackie but in testing on accurate shooter,
the 12- 42x was one of the better scopes tested.
( they are looking at long range scopes, not short range br)

And how exactly does one test "long range scopes" over there on accurate shooter????

Over here the test is brutally simple.....

does

it

hold

zero

period.

Not even remotely

the same venue. How do you check a scope for .050 worth of POI change on a rifle that shoots .250 groups or bigger??

There are scopes out there with really great glass but are really dogs in the BR world. My BR scopes lack a little in that department but like Al says, they hold POI and that trumps everything.

Richard

the same venue. How do you check a scope for .050 worth of POI change on a rifle that shoots .250 groups or bigger??

There are scopes out there with really great glass but are really dogs in the BR world. My BR scopes lack a little in that department but like Al says, they hold POI and that trumps everything.

Richard

If you use a Hood scope checker doesn't make a difference if you hit the target or not.

are you saying that was used during the long range scope testing?

Richard

No at 100 yds. i figure if it don't move at any distance then that's good. This is with 2 scopes mounted together aimed at the same point. one must be a known good scope.

NF Scope

Hi Jackie,

I tried to send this as a Private Message but it was rejected because your mail box is full. Please respond via Private Message.

I seldom post but have followed BR central since the late 90s. I noted awhile back that you mentioned that you did not trust the 42X fixed NF scope and there was a reason that NF has discontinued manufacturing it.

I have nine variable NF NXS and Competition scopes as well as one 40X March but have no experience with the NF Fixed power scopes. I greatly respect your knowledge and would appreciate it if you would share your reason for not liking or trusting the 42X.

Thinking about adding another fixed power to the mix but don't want to get a headache in the process.

Thank you, Sir, and Merry Christmas.

Bill Adcox
critter_bill

Just to put the positive side forward there are shooters around the world using the 42x NF Scope with success at short range.
Take a look earlier this year at the WBC in Canada
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?98186-World-Benchrest-match-2019-web-page/page2
Also if you look up the NBRSA National results for this year you will find the NF42x. Some exceptional shooters using them.

I think if you also search into the archives you will find some of the Leupold Competition Series were moving 0.050”. I am not doubting Richard for 1 second just illustrating that these also were the same situation and shooters are using these scopes.

The NF 42x is not currently in production, so if your wanting a new scope the March HM48 is probably the one to get or potentially the Leupold Comp scope.

All are being used successfully.

Just another point of view for you to consider

Michael

Back