question for bulletmakers

At a recent match, a fellow was shooting Hottenstein BTs and I managed to talk him out of one, which I measured when I got home. The OAL was .826, which means that he is either stretching .790 jackets a lot, or .825 hardly at all. The largest diameter was right on .2430

Last edited:
I know what the finished length of the bullets should be - mine are about 859 - 860 for 6 mm, 66-68 grain bullets on 825 J4 jackets . I am wondering how much the jacket stretches when you core seat them. I can get as little as .025 to as much as .010 depending upon the die adjustment. The final bullet dimension changes with the point up die setting.

Boyd, Lowell Hottenstein has been using Sierra jackets for some time now, and I would think that the bullets were made on .810 jackets. The 68 BT's made on J-4 were .825 jackets and measure about .860. Good shooting...James

Boyd, Lowell Hottenstein has been using Sierra jackets for some time now, and I would think that the bullets were made on .810 jackets.

James the bullet that Boyd has is a J4 790 jacket 66gr BT. I gave it to boydman at the Visalia match. When i talked to Lowell he told me that the lot of bullets that he sold me where made on J4 790 Jackets, thats what is printed on the boxes i got. He also told me that he is now using sierra jackets. Gabe

Last edited:
Good question

Earl,
That is the best question I have seen on this forum about bullet making. Thank you George for answering.

MAC

:)Hi Guy's , BT jacket stretch is a interesting question , ive been rolling my own for about two year's now and im still scraching my head ,can someone please explain in detail how the BT jacket stretch is measured :confused:
Thank's and Kind Regard's to all.

:)Hi Guy's , BT jacket stretch is a interesting question , ive been rolling my own for about two year's now and im still scraching my head ,can someone please explain in detail how the BT jacket stretch is measured :confused:
Thank's and Kind Regard's to all.

Remy, jacket length before core seating and jacket length after core seating. if you are asking about jacket stretch to gage core seating pressure, as in flat base it's not a reliable indicator. jacket hardness will change length's....

George , can you please go into detail here ,all i know is that the jacket will expand and shorten , exactly what am i looking for ?

George , can you please go into detail here ,all i know is that the jacket will expand and shorten , exactly what am i looking for ?

When cores are seated in a BT die, the diameter [along the BT] is reduced, thus, the cored jacket will become LONGER - not actually stretched. Two examples, both Ulrich 6MM BT dies: 12 Deg. X .082 BT, the cored jackets lengthen between 0.013-0.015"; via the 10 Deg. X .175" BT die, they lengthen .033-.035" - the longer BT makes for more length. You are correct - cored FB jackets will expand-up & shorten. RG

...on Hottenstein bullets

does someone know if 68gr Hottenstein has been made with .825 jackets and if are good for 1-14" twist?

They used to be J4 jackets. .825".
They are now on Sierra jackets. I think .800" from Bart.
Both shoot great in a 1-14.
Any Hottenstein shoots great. :)
He sometimes makes Flat base also.

Back