Quadlite ejector

PEI Rob

apr122011_022.JPG

Blurry but the shiny object is the ejector. It floats and when the bolt is pulled back, it hits the bolt release and this moves the ejector ahead flicking out the case.

Problem is, this is too large and when slid back, as shown, the diameter is too large for the action and the bolt will not lock down. The ejector hits the lugs abuttments. Weird but I'm wondering if this is familiar to you guys. This is a brand new action I fitted a Kreiger to last night, never used just sent to me.

I'm calling the supplier, they sell lots of these and are shooters and I think do their own barrel installs.

What is the hole through the recoil lug? Should'nt that ejector be pinned in place? How could the lug go properly to the locking face with that pin sticking out?

Rob...prior to installing the barrel did you operate the bolt in the action?...did it go into battery completely?...If it worked before you installed the barrel...then there is something else involved...also..I would remove the ejector pin and check to see if the bolt closes completely...then you might find it was installed incorrectly...it appears that the bolt has a flat machined into it along the area of the ejector pin..makes me wonder if the ejector has a flat on the other side to give it a lower profile...it may be 180 out of placement...???

Eddie in Texas

eww1350: If it was out 180 degrees with a flat on one side there would be nothing to catch the bolt stop to eject. It whold be interesting to see all the pieces layed out for a clearer picture.As already has been mentioned, take the ejector out, and try to close the bolt.

The way you wrote this suggests to me that the problem is occurring on an empty chamber, not with a case.

The ejector comes forward into "battery" only when the back of the pin is run up against the ejector stop in the action. Maybe you didn't run it forward before you tried closing the bolt. There's no spring to do the job.

If not, just check that it is returning fully forward out of the action by pushing it forward yourself. If the back of the pin isn't fully into the lug, then you likely have some crud caught in there somewhere or even a burr on the channel, though it could be that the in has been assembled backwards. I've never seen one disassembled, so I don't know if that's possible - smart design would have made it reversible or impossible to fit backwards.

Incidentally, that style of ejector can be susceptible to powder fouling crud. I wash the bolt head of my similar Millennoums with a good solvent occasionally or use a spray degunker to avoid binding.

I called RPA in England, the dealer I was thinking of does not sell RPA. The rep knew what he was talking about and is sending a new ejector just in case. I will diagnose this and let him know. This action was never used. As soon as I examined the action before installing the barrel I noticed this problem. Without a barrel, still new action, the bolt will not lock down if the ejector is rearward, and it would be rearwards if chambering a round. If you tip the action down or flick the ejector forwards, it works fine. I removed the pin [correction, I previously typed rivot for some reason?] and ejector so I could do the install. If this ejector was installed backwards, the ejector would remain proud of the boltface by the ejector pin. It was installed correctly. I cannot find any burr and the pin fits in the hole well. The only thing I can think of at the moment would be the ejector hole milled at a slight angle but that may not be possible depending on their tooling and proceedures. Assuming the abuttments are good, if the hole is the correct size and the pin is the correct size, location or angle seems the culprit. I'll check it with an extended pin when I get the chance.

Last edited:
Better late than never. Way back a year ago... I received the new ejector from RPA but it was identical. I just made a new ejector and it is fine. To be honest, I simply cannot remember if the hole was offest impropely or it was on an angle. I think it was offset improperly, an angle would be less likely and would likely show a friction mark. BTW, the ejectors are very soft.

Back