Pull, reinstall bbl without damaging finish?

N

Nomo4me

I'm going to have a local 'smith pull a bbl off a gun that has a black teflon finish applied.

He's going to thread and install a brake and reinstall.

He uses powdered sugar in his bbl vise blocks to help prevent slippage.

Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect he can get this job done without damaging the finish?

Gun is an HS Precision handgun.

It kinda' depends on how much you want to pay. I know that for myself I'll pour a dedicated bushing for a situation like this for about 35-50.00.

Sounds a lot cheaper than blasting off the very nice looking factory finish and shipping off for cerakote.

It's a heavy contour fluted varmint bbl, flutes start about 5" from the receiver face. I don't suppose it would make sense to cast to engage the closest fluted portion of the bbl?

I would call the manufacturer and ask their advice. I think you are dreaming but a lot depends on how tight the bbl is.

I have pulled and installed a few painted barrels using aluminum blocks and a sheet of paper for protection.
It can be done without damaging or scratching , but it sometimes burnishes the finish or should I say makes it a little more shinny.

Sounds a lot cheaper than blasting off the very nice looking factory finish and shipping off for cerakote.

It's a heavy contour fluted varmint bbl, flutes start about 5" from the receiver face. I don't suppose it would make sense to cast to engage the closest fluted portion of the bbl?

I routinely pull barrels from 10" out, or more. YES it makes sense to use the flutes.

al

Thanks for the replies. I was talking to another 'smith today who says the real risk of damaging the finish is in chips coming off the muzzle end while threading. So I guess it's a two pronged concern.

Too bad your smith can't thread through the headstock. No need to pull the barrel with my lathe to thread the muzzle for a brake.

I'm going to have a local 'smith pull a bbl off a gun that has a black teflon finish applied.

He's going to thread and install a brake and reinstall.

He uses powdered sugar in his bbl vise blocks to help prevent slippage.

Anyone know if it's reasonable to expect he can get this job done without damaging the finish?

Gun is an HS Precision handgun.

If this is a single shot bolt action pistol...why not have the gunsmith turn a manrel in the headstock that goes thru the rear of the action and fits into the chamber...then put a live center in the muzzle...holding the barreled action between centers...then thread for a muzzle brake and recrown with a steady rest running on a thread protector...all done without removing the barrel from the action...

I've pulled cerakoted barrels successfully without harming the finish by using a couple wraps of drywall paper and good fitting aluminum bushings for the barrel.

I watched a buddy of mine rechamber and re-time a brake on a very expensive 50 cal (McMillan built) that was Rogard finished. He used a business card in the vice and grabbed the barrel by the threads in the chuck. He then used brass tips in his steady to center the chamber end which the threaded tenon ran on the brass tips (chewed them up a little) He cut the new chamber and flipped it around so he could time the muzzle brake. No finish was damaged.

Local 'smith Guy Malmborg couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't damage the teflon finish but said he'd give his best try. You can't tell the barrel was removed.

It's a 243 and muzzle flip and general commotion on firing is now a distant memory.

hsp001.jpg

hsp002.jpg

hsp003.jpg

Back