Psa

sailor

I know this is totally off topic, but wanted to share my experience and maybe encourage folks to get their PSA checked at their next Dr visit. My job requires annual blood work and when it was done my glucose was high. I went to my doctor to check this out and we discovered that it was due to a medicine I was taking. We got it under control by stopping the med and when I went for my second visit he ordered some blood work. As an afterthought, he decided to check my PSA.
The next day, the doctor's office was calling to say I needed to go see a urologist due to a high PSA. He found cancer and I had my prostate removed two weeks ago today. All indications are that the cancer was only in the prostate and my prognosis is good.
The purpose of this post is to encourage all the male shooters here to have their PSA tested at their next doctors visit. It is a simple blood test and can be added on to other blood work being done. I am 52 and this came as a bolt out of the blue to me. I am thanking the good Lord and the annual blood work policy at my job for my good outcome. It has been amazing to me to find the number of men affected by this condition. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask about my experience, feel free to PM or email.

Mike

One of our employees just went thought your exact scenereo. Difference is I think he is 32.

Routine visit the doctor checked his PSA. Seemed elevated so they checked further and it was cancer. I don't know for sure if they totally removed his prostate but they caught it VERY early and he was out a week and they say he will need no further treatment.

How lucky, for both of you.

Charlie

I heartily agree. Get the test done guys. Been there, done that, ten year survivor.
Russ

PSA tests are good. My doctor includes it in the annual old buggers blood test he makes me take.

I didn't like the after when they ran a mining rig up my butt & core sampled my prostate, but the outcome is fine for the moment at least.

been there too

Start watching your PSA early to get a baseline. When mine took a jump at age 56, I went in & we caught it early.

My experience with the minimally invasive, robotic surgery was very good and I was back at work in a month. The robotic surgery uses binocular vision, so the surgeon has depth perception Compare that with the monocular view you get with a borescope. When they're dissecting your favorite giblets, depth perception is a good thing. Five little incisions, each about an inch long & that was all. Far different than the traditional surgery of just a decade ago.

I applaud sailor's offer to share info & answer questions and I'll add mine. If anyone has any questions they would like to ask about my experience, feel free to PM or email. I had a friend go through the same thing a year before I did. Having someone to talk to makes it much easier.

Regards, Ron

Mike,
Thanks for starting the thread as a reminder for all our male rimfire friends.

I was diagnosed a few years ago - did the surgery - and have been doing well. Prostate cancer is very slow moving and if caught early, can be 100% cured. Many successful options for treatment are available. But, if you don't get checked each year and the signs are missed, it can be devastating if it metastasizes outside of the prostate.

Please guys, get checked.

Best,
Michael

I went with the robotic procedure and have been pleased so far. The incisions are almost healed (two weeks out) and I am working on the rest of the healing process. I hope to finish my little range this weekend and maybe shoot a bit.

Mike

Thanks For Sharing

Getting your PSA checked is a very important step to good health. The other side of the coin is that an elevated PSA doesn't necessarily mean prostatic cancer. There are a number of reasons that it can be elevated including benign prostatic hyperplasia and infections. Mine was elevated several years ago but biopsy proved it non-malignant. The final word is" Don't panic, but DO get it checked out!

Current thoughts

Currently the medical community is "rethinking" the PSA test. The latest findings are that there are very aggressive forms of prostate cancer that are not detected by the test until it has progressed "too far". Also, the much loved :eek: "finger wave" is being thought of in the same way.

My thoughts are that these two methods should continue to be used together as their is no alternative at this point to provide a clinical check for prostate cancer.

CAution!!

We all know that three shots do not make a group, and in a like manner a high PSA alone does not make prostate cancer. I have had an elevated psa for about 25 years and had the biopsy; Nuttin honey. Confirm, confirm and confirm. Overbore
ps I am not saying that eventually--- but if you have someone who is a huge pain in the butt, have him get a biopsy. I went into shock from the pain:eek:

At age 50 you need to get the PSA annual PSA tests started AND a colonoscopy.

I had my c-scope at 51 and they found polyps. I am 54 now and just had my second c-scope done. No polyps. If I had not had a c-scope done I would probably have colon cancer now:eek:

I am now fighting 'FU' :D Frequent Urination , not what you were thinking :D My PSA is 0.3 so it's most likely BPH. I go for a bladder test next Thur. Getting old is a pain in the backside for sure :eek:

It's funny this thread being in the RIM ------ FIRE forum.

My Dad died from prostate cancer so I should have been getting PSA tests starting at least by age 50. Since I'm such a big wuss and hate needles so much I waited till I was 55. Guess what...I had prostate cancer. I chose to have the radical surgery and it had broken through the shell of the prostate. Had radiation treatments after the surgery and have been cancer free for 5 years now. Wish I would have gone for the PSA test 5 years earlier.

Some good points were made about an elevated PSA. It does not necessarily indicate cancer.

And the other important point is "don't panic".

The basic message is that around 50, start the yearly PSA and digital exam. If you have a family history of prostate cancer, talk with your doctor.

My family was the type that didn't talk about "such things" .. thus I didn't know that my father and most of my uncles were diagnosed and treated. But, I have a great primary care physician whom I've been seeing for years. He asks the questions, listens to the answers and is a fantastic diagnostician. I am blessed.

As with anything, stay educated and aware.

Best,
Michael

Afte two years of fighting what was hoped was a chronic prostate infection, a biopsy revealed cancer (at age 47). The wonderful surgeons at Vanderbilt took great care of me. One and a half years later i'm still cancer free.

Don't wait to have it checked.
If not for high cholesterol, I never would started all those blood tests.

Had mine

checked a few months ago and at 56 everything is looking great. Those of you that haven't had it checked or haven't been checked in a while "Just Cowboy Up and Getter Done!". Don't need to loose any shooters to this.

Back