Professionally refinished stock - wanted to share this

T

TCups

Some time ago, I bought a Rem 513-T with a broken forestock that had a pretty amateurish but functional repair job done. I have an on-line acquaintance on Rimfire Central, "Charlotte", who is an expert at prone shooting. She makes her living doing repairs on piano cabinets.

She offered to repair my stock for me (just the sort of thing she does on pianos). This, I believe is the first gun stock she has ever done. She ended up refinishing the entire stock for me at an embarrassingly good price. She tells me the "Lustre" finish is the same used on Steinway pianos, but that she can match any original finish and can do both touch up repairs as well as complete re-finishing. She can also put decals in the finish (again a piano thing).

Anyway, here are the astounding results! This stock seems to glow, and the finish is so deep, clear and lustrous that my camera's auto focus had trouble. I am having her re-do the finish on my Winchester 52-C as soon as I can ship it to her. This is heirloom quality work, IMO.

Before:

P1030468.jpg

P1030475.jpg

and after . . .

P1130544.jpg

P1130543.jpg

P1130545.jpg

P1130546.jpg

I'm impressed.

Speaking of pants, I put the 513-T's pants back on and took a few more pictures.

P1130547.jpg

P1130549.jpg

P1130559.jpg

P1130565.jpg

P1130574.jpg

P1130606.jpg

P1130578.jpg

The finish is very, nice and I imagine that is hard to tell just how nice frome the pictures, but the place where the crack was originally is just down right amazing! I can't even tell it was there.

Gary

Thanks for posting those pictures Tommy. I can't wait to get started on the Winchester and I have another 513 to do also.

Back