Problem with K&M brass killer donut blade

Law Dawg

All:

I love my Neilson neck turner, but I leave it set for my Palma brass. I use the K&M carbide mandrel with the donut blade for other dedicated chambereings.

The problem is that the donut blade wants to mar the inside of my necks no matter how careful I am. I know K&M will sell me a mandrel without the blade, but I don't believe it is carbide.

So, what is the best way to "fix" or "grind" the offending blade on the carbide mandrel. I like perfect necks, and I just can't get them with the K&M to the same standard as the Neilson.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Hardy

I've never had a problem once I quit turning it going in and out. I place the brass over the mandrel and if there is a ridge it will be at the base of the neck. Start turning the brass then and cut the ridge, turn the neck to diameter, and stop turning when you remove the mandrel out of the neck. You should be able to clear the neck from the cutting tool before the cutter end gets into the neck on withdraw. I hope I 'splained that right.

I rounded over all the sharp edges and corners on mine with a coarse diamond hone, for the same reason. That took care of the problem.

Jim ...

I know K&M will sell me a mandrel without the blade, but I don't believe it is carbide. Jim Hardy

Instead of guessing on whether a mandrel without the blade is carbide or not why not simply call and ask? Here's the number 616-399-7894. ;)

K&m

Instead of guessing on whether a mandrel without the blade is carbide or not why not simply call and ask? Here's the number 616-399-7894. ;)

. . . Because a friend of mine just purchased a mandrel without a blade directly from K&M within the last month. He was told it was not made in carbide. I saw no reason to doubt him and make a call.

Howver, per your suggestion, I just got off the phone with them. They do NOT make a carbide mandrel without the blade. When asked if they would, the answer is that they will do it as a special order -- $65.

Jim

Last edited:
Back