Probes

I spend time with probes

Tim if they work for you that good
I found that your unit it self way to heave and slow But good for reading the way the wind was blowing

DONT nock the guy for trying :cool:

Last edited:
Unfortunately I cannot not agree I used socks to accomplish a National Championship and a National Record some time after that. I have been a competitive Benchrest competitor now going over 23 years. Like I said I have tried just about every type of wind indicator available including Gene Beggs Probes. You do have a right to your own opinion but if you have not used my own you really cannot comment on if they do or do not actually work?

Have you ever shot a RFBR match? If you ever do , as I said, you won’t see a setup like yours…..ever. In 25+ years of shooting this, I have never seen one, ever, at local, state, regional, national matches so with a bit of deductive reasoning, what might the entire BR community missing here ?
This has zero to do with SS cast bullet shooting. Go to the IR 50, ARA, PSL site galleries, I’ll give you $100 bucks if you can direct me to a pic of a windsock.

Tim if they work for you that good
I found that your unit it self way to heave and slow But good for reading the way the wind was blowing

DONT nock the guy for trying :cool:

Well by that, if you mean Wicks type flags, then you are incorrect, I’d suspect they are probably still among the most widely used variant from coast to coast, still made by Ray Hill, currently.

Last edited:
Well by that, if you mean Wicks type flags, then you are incorrect, I’d suspect they are probably still among the most widely used variant from coast to coast, still made by Ray Hill, currently.
Wicks flags have been around for a few years now Improvement will come for the guys that are willing to experiment
and try some thing different

Last edited:
Fellers, We all have our opinions on equipment. If your flags etc won everything, we would only see your flags on the range. Same with barrels and receivers etc. Don't denigrate people if you disagree with them.

Fellers, We all have our opinions on equipment. If your flags etc won everything, we would only see your flags on the range. Same with barrels and receivers etc. Don't denigrate people if you disagree with them.

Fair point.
On the other hand, evaluate for me how we evaluate the opinions coming from someone that has never shot a RFBR match, especially when provided with overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Why do you think so many very good shooters simply don't post on forums ?

Butch, on the other hand I have been having really good results tying a dead raccoon to my flag pole. You just have to watch the flutter on his back hair, picks up small changes quite well. Worth a try?

Fair point.
On the other hand, evaluate for me how we evaluate the opinions coming from someone that has never shot a RFBR match, especially when provided with overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Why do you think so many very good shooters simply don't post on forums ?

Butch, on the other hand I have been having really good results tying a dead raccoon to my flag pole. You just have to watch the flutter on his back hair, picks up small changes quite well. Worth a try?

Tim, I did tie an old cloth tobacco pouch by the bottom of it to a pole early in my career with rat crap in it. All I had to do is watch the turds flying through the air. Problem was they didn't last a whole match.
I would suggest to a shooter that he watch what the better shooters use.

Last edited:
Lots of different flag combinations out there. A few years ago I saw a guy at the Triple Crown using a weather station that sent a continuous signal to a computer on his shooting bench. It read direction and speed. The secret is knowing what your flags are telling you. I still haven’t figured it out.

Yes I have shot monthly competitive Rimfire matches for several years Tim and shot with some of the top RBR and IRA competitors in this area during that time. Maybe why you don't see them being used is no one is making them the same as mine for sale. Regardless if you or anyone else has no interest there are no hard feelings on my end. The only intent was to take the time to share what has been working for myself after having tried most all of the rest for sale over the years. Never intended for it to turn into questioning who or what one has or has not done in life. Especially so when it got you to the point of having to lie about somebody who you have absolutely no personal knowledge about. When you said I obviously never have done when I actually I have and I did so for several years. Its the folks like yourself who start talking out of their A-s who are actually ruining the sport. Having shot Rimfire Benchrest should have been obvious when this is the Rimfire Benchrest section is it not.
It is folks like yourself who judge folks out of their A-s instead of having a known knowledge about somebody else that ruin this sport.

Last edited:
unfortunately i cannot not agree i used socks to accomplish a national championship and a national record some time after that. I have been a competitive benchrest competitor now going over 23 years. Like i said i have tried just about every type of wind indicator available including gene beggs probes. You do have a right to your own opinion but if you have not used my own you really cannot comment on if they do or do not actually work?
the most watched flaig watched today is the daisy and has broken all kinds in any disciplineasked jack sutton.

Yes I have shot monthly competitive Rimfire matches for several years Tim and shot with some of the top RBR and IRA competitors in this area during that time. Maybe why you don't see them being used is no one is making them the same as mine for sale. Regardless if you or anyone else has no interest there are no hard feelings on my end. The only intent was to take the time to share what has been working for myself after having tried most all of the rest for sale over the years. Never intended for it to turn into questioning who or what one has or has not done in life. Especially so when it got you to the point of having to lie about somebody who you have absolutely no personal knowledge about. When you said I obviously never have done when I actually I have and I did so for several years. Its the folks like yourself who start talking out of their A-s who are actually ruining the sport. Having shot Rimfire Benchrest should have been obvious when this is the Rimfire Benchrest section is it not.

Fair point, however club matches are just that…..usually club level matches.
my comment based on the fact that your name appears nowhere in sanctioned match lists, tournaments, HOF listings or other easily verifiable sources.
That said, let us remember, before we start throwing stones, in recent past before you actually figured out who you were arguing with, I gave a brief summary of my RF knowledge/history and was called, by you, a lier so tell me how that feels ?
That said nobody uses them ( outside your particular neighborhood ) because there are effective, long standing, PROVEN, options, not because nobody figured out the inherent complexities of gluing a trash bag to a wind vane.
This thread was supposed to be about what works well, and typically if it is a better mousetrap it shows up at matches.

Dislike me as you will but I have shot with allot better than you. We have one of the best who still shoots IRA and RBR matches at our club. Her name is Gesele Pritchard and she has finished at the top of the National Match List for several years now along with some of the best. She has also shot By Invitation Only Matches with some of the best who you probably also might not like. But we only have Club matches so you say and nobody here can compete with you and only a fool would buy into that. We had a fellow from Las Vegas who showed up here one year for one of those matches. He was going to show everyone here how to shoot and he packed up and left with his tail between his legs at the end of the day. He wasn't even close to being up at the top but his equipment was the very best that money could buy so I will give him credit for being able to afford what he could not shoot very well.

Last edited:
Yeah John, that’s ARA not IRA, unless of course she is on a team for Irish independance.
And for the record I don’t dislike anyone.

Last edited:
Thank you and yes that was an error on my behalf and I also do not dislike anyone myself. Life is way to short and I apologized to you when I had you confused with somebody else. You said you accepted it at the time so there was no need to bring it back up. I do wish you the very best and hopefully we can just get along from here on out and get back to what we both enjoy doing in life. And to also continue to share our own personal experiences and to do it in all honesty and without any pre-judging of anyone else having to take place.

Last edited:
GUYS

you will not see my name on any of your score boards that for sure
I come from the Land down under We have what I consider some the best shots in the world and i am not one of them
I have been making and experimenting with probes and flags for along time Just looking for new ideas that may work
Thanks

Last edited:
Chris please don't let anyone here stop you from pursuing your own search to hopefully find something that is better suited to fit your own Rimefire Benchrest needs. I have always been of the thought that it can always get better and never worse. And why I felt the need to share my own personal Rimfire Benchrest experiences to those like yourself. Who are always in search of finding something else that might actually be better for their own personal use who are willing to try something different that is not currently being sold.

Last edited:
Tanks Louis

I have been doing it for a wild and had some good and bad remarks
I have been very lucky to have my grand son to help me he is
teaching at the university of NSW He has honors in mathematics and aeronautical engineering
Some times I just can not under stand his terminology
Thank you for your kind words and encouragement :)

Last edited:
Louis

Hi Louis
1 have tried the sox's before but not with that material I will make a few up soon with that plastic How did you join it Thanks :eek:

Chris I use Scotch Tape and then turn the sock inside out so the seam is on the inside. I typically go about a row and half wide so when I cut through the tape to remove the waste side. I still have one full strip width of tape holding the seam. The 6 inch embroidery hoops are from Hobby Lobby or a local fabric store and are self clamping to hold the sock. The fiberglass electrical wide pull rods are from Harbor Freight and come in a tube of 10 each. The male end is cut off and the female end I just run an 8-32 tap into the existing metric threads and then use a 8-32 plastic headed screw. The fiberglass rod is a perfect fit into a Cloroplast cell of which I get at local sign shop to make the wind vanes out of. A 2ft X 2ft sheet as typically used for a front yard election sign
will make me four each. Here they are only 2 dollars each and I have the sign shop laminate the two different florescent vinyl colors I chose to each side for a few dollars more. So it takes two of the fiberglass rods for each wind vane. One on the front end to mount to the pivot on the flag stand and one on the opposite end to mount the sock to. The attachment screw for the hoop goes through the opening where the outside ring of the hoop comes to together for tightening around the inner hoop and the sock and it also a perfect fit. I hope that is help full and if you have any questions please ask. The pivots I make out of 1/2 Delrin with one end tapped 1-20 for the flag stand and the other drilled and reamed for the upper half with the brass bearing pin.The upper half having the 1/4 brass pointed pin pressed in with a through hole just down from the top to attach the wind vane to the counter balance weight using a piece of 8-32 threaded rod cut to the proper length.
These are the flag stands that I got from Amazon and I have been using them for several years now and they have served extremely well.

https://www.amazon.com/Photography-...and&qid=1626968496&smid=A2IXKAD5ED4Q12&sr=8-6

Back