Printing a tool!!!

It isn't really copying... as it can not 'copy' internal threads as the wrench has... it is either completely bogus or it has a pre programmed 'print' to make whatever...

This one is fake, look at the very last second of the video where it shows both att he same time. Without any doubt it is not a copy nor even close.

Not fake at all!
My wife works for Kershaw and they have one that they use for prototypes. Right Angle Blueprint in Tigard, OR also has one.
What it is is a "copy" machine for want of a better word. It puts down layer after layer of material that then hardens. The way the parts are made to work independently of each other simply takes the application of a thin layer of wax that keeps the parts separated. Once completed, the wax between the moving parts is melted. I have in my possesion a plastic Crescent wrench that was made on the "copy" machine. Unlike a normal Crescent wrench, the moving parts are not removable.....they are in fact captured within the outer structure. The threaded pin that is present on the typical wrench is not removable, rather it is encapsulated within, as is the movable jaw.
When I was first told about this machine, I called BS, but after seeing it in action, it is in fact very real!
When you think everything has already been invented, you have to ask yourself "What will they think of next?"

When I first saw this video last week, I thought it was a hoax. I tried to find out about it on Snopes but couldn't dig anything up. So I decided to wait and see. I'm glad I saw this thread and found some corroborating testimony.

This is a preview of the machine shops of the future. I have some pretty cool items that have been run in a rapid prototype. The ability to squirt high tech polymers is old news, and metal as a medium is not that far away. Just think being in Iraq and needing an M4 or a glock and someone pushes cycle start and in a while your new M4/ glock comes down a conveyor. Making complex assemblies will only be limited by the machines size. The metallic alloys will be a rough bump to conquer, it's only time.

There is testing being done on a large scale application of this process that uses mortar/concrete to build housing....Think,,,,desert + sand,= $$$$$$$

There are some similar technology's being used in aircraft, constructing wings and fuselages, similar to a spider making a cocoon, crossed with weaving a rug.

BTW the processes portrayed in the video are very,very real, after watching it it appears it was pieced together to speed the process up for a video, BUT what they are demonstrating is old technology, not a late breaking leak, it's been around for a few years now, and the machines much more complex and capable to do some cool stuff.

Last edited:
This has been around a while. The company I work for has been using it for at least 10 years , We use it to make moulds for casting of stainless impellers

I have seen a documentary on Discovery about these things.
They have been around for a few years now and the concept has been around for 10 years or so.
Denis is partially right. You cant scan what cant be seen.
But it can however make a tool or something with the hidden threads based on a cad drawing.
It can scan other items and print them though.

As I said, this one is fake or at least false advertising. Sure, out popped a wrench, we're not arguing that as it's old news, but the copy is not a copy of the wrench provided.

Back