Primers

TomD

e publius unum
It's been a number of years since I've been an active BR and VFS shooter in the SE region. For a very long while, I bought all of my primers from various people selling 5000 primer cases at matches, usually Federals for around $125 if memory serves but I did stumble into a case of Wolf Match small rifle for $90. They work pretty well. I still haven't worked my way through my supply but I'd be starting to be concerned if I was consuming masses of them the way I used to.

Getting a new upper in 6.5 Grendell for an AR plus a 6.5 Creedmore chambered barrel for one of my BR rifles brought me back into the components market a couple of years back. Good thing I'm not shooting anything that needs Varget these days because I can't remember seeing that for sale this decade. Primers? Forget it. But I've noticed a gradual increase in reloading components lately. But there still don't appear to be any primers.

And Benchrest eats primers.

What are you guys still competing doing for primers? Are they still available at matches. I know several people who laid in such huge supplies back when primers were available and cheap that they they could shoot 3 BR careers without running short. Are they supplying the sport?

Is the bullet supply still okay, how about the powders. BTW, what is the "hot" powder for PPC these days?

i say bite the bullet and buy what you like when available..i bought 10k of 205m during the shortage and paid dearly for them.
there are other primers that work

call and talk to lester bruno, he has tried a few
remember powder choice may dictate which primer is best.

You can't take it with you and you can't shoot without components, either. I don't think anything is coming down in price significantly, any time soon, if ever. Just buy what you need and enjoy it. A boat still costs a lot more!

Oh well. There used to be a BR oriented supply chain where you could buy whatever you need from other shooters at matches. I was hoping against all reason that it was still there. What about Andress at Riverbend, he still selling stuff?

I was in a Sports Authority in Atlanta sometime in the 80's and was looking at their reloading supplies. They had a 1000 round brick of CCI primers in a glass case with a $1 sticker on it. I asked the clerk if the $1 price was for a pack of 100, the standard price at the time. And he told me no, it was for the brick. I explained to him that $1 was the going price for one of the small packs inside but the clerk informed me that it was me who was wrong. "Okay", I said and bought the store totally out of everything. I've long since shot through the rifle primers but still have a bunch of the pistol primers. They're only 40 years old now but still look okay.

The 4th shortage is almost over. I learned during the 1st shortage. 15 yrs ago...??? 2008 or so. I stocked up, when there was a good sale. And mostly bought at Camp Perry. No haz mat or shipping. It is a 1 1/2 drive.....
And the sad part. Some friends past away....So I always try to help there. Most families are not into shooting. Kinda strange....
Ammo Seek is a good spot to find. You can set up search engines. 205 are $ .09 USD. Blazer 22 40gn $ .06-.07 USD. That's near normal.

It's been a number of years since I've been an active BR and VFS shooter in the SE region. For a very long while, I bought all of my primers from various people selling 5000 primer cases at matches, usually Federals for around $125 if memory serves but I did stumble into a case of Wolf Match small rifle for $90. They work pretty well. I still haven't worked my way through my supply but I'd be starting to be concerned if I was consuming masses of them the way I used to.

Getting a new upper in 6.5 Grendell for an AR plus a 6.5 Creedmore chambered barrel for one of my BR rifles brought me back into the components market a couple of years back. Good thing I'm not shooting anything that needs Varget these days because I can't remember seeing that for sale this decade. Primers? Forget it. But I've noticed a gradual increase in reloading components lately. But there still don't appear to be any primers.

And Benchrest eats primers.

What are you guys still competing doing for primers? Are they still available at matches. I know several people who laid in such huge supplies back when primers were available and cheap that they they could shoot 3 BR careers without running short. Are they supplying the sport?

Is the bullet supply still okay, how about the powders. BTW, what is the "hot" powder for PPC these days?

At the LA County Gun show at the LA Fairgrounds in the early 1990s? I used to buy CASES of Winchester primers for $40. #5000 for $40.

Gone are the days, eh?

At the LA County Gun show at the LA Fairgrounds in the early 1990s? I used to buy CASES of Winchester primers for $40. #5000 for $40.

Gone are the days, eh?
It's not uncommon for shooters and reloading enthusiasts to reminisce about the lower prices and greater availability of components in the past. However, it's important to keep in mind that the market has changed over time, and current prices reflect the present conditions.
heardle

Back