Primers

Pete
I have been reloading since the mid- sixties and don't remember anything like what is going on now.A few years back I was down to my last can of BLC-2 when I found out there was a powder shortage. When it was available again the price had gone up. I have plenty of everything except CCI 450. Have lots of CCI 400 and wil use them for the time being.

I think this situation is going to last for some time.

Mort
more shooters stocking up

Some of us old farts have been around since Noah. We see a bargain and jump on it knowing we might need it in the future. Over time you will have sufficient for your needs. Call it hoarding or whatever, I have it and you do not!
Remember, mine are not for sale!

I'm beginning to wonder about that, given the apparent way it prints money.

Govt prints money to keep down inflation.
Like fracking keeps down the cost of oil......or for most folks, the price of gas.....
BUT! Refining "oil" goes into a lot of "common goods".
Git rid of "oil" refining and we are back to the "STONE AGE!", real quick....

Strange as it sounds, I've never loaded hand gun ammo....rifles only. I'm going to start loading 38Spl and 357 Magnum for a couple of my revolvers and needless to say, small pistol primers are virtually unobtainable at this point in time. A couple handgun pals have been using thin cupped (.020-.021) small rifle primers in their hand gun ammo with good results. Thankfully, I have 1000's of WSR primers on hand.

This chart isn't complete but may be useful. On another note....if you're stocked up with more than you can possibly ever use, help your fellow shooters out and pass them on.

Good shootin'. -Al

xy5E0Gbl.png

Jeff passed away last week. He liked to shoot plates with an EEA .38 Super muzzle break/comp. Really loud. Ear plugs and muffs to time Jeff.
But, the firearm was really a pleasure to shoot. Last shortage he tried the small rifle primers thing. Don't remember the brand.
Sorta worked out. Every 3-5 rnd was a no shoot. That's how we got to shoot Jeff's .38 Super.....shoot the duds.

This old fart got lucky and scored on a mixed lot of CCI and Win. primers for $80/1000 right here in Idaho. It is twice as much as I'm used to paying but in today's market, it's a good deal. The Win. primers I will use with 4198......I feel pretty good. I'm not out totally of the woods because down the road my problem will be bullets and powder. I'm good for two maybe three years....after that who knows.

Mort

Last edited:
this is not true.
while the us gov prints the paper bills it is controlled by the
FEFDERAL RESERVE BANKS.... PRIVATE CORPORATIONS, NOT PART OF THE GOVMNT.
PROCESS...the 13 federal reserve banks request x amount of paper bills every month. the president signs a printing order for 1) federal reserve notes, or 2) US notes. the paper is SOLD to the banks at COST TO PRINT. THE banks ISSUES at FACE VALUE. MAKING the value plus interest.( and the debt)
the last president to issue US notes was KENNEDY. he was shot and killed and all US NOTES WERE REPLACED BY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES with the US notes never issued by any fed res bank.
i am sure it was a coincidence, tho the argument he had with his dad,in fla before going to dallas was about money.

we are not argentina

Govt prints money to keep down inflation.
Like fracking keeps down the cost of oil......or for most folks, the price of gas.....
BUT! Refining "oil" goes into a lot of "common goods".
Git rid of "oil" refining and we are back to the "STONE AGE!", real quick....

Last edited:
this is not true.
while the us gov prints the paper bills it is controlled by the
FEFDERAL RESERVE BANKS.... PRIVATE CORPORATIONS, NOT PART OF THE GOVMNT.
PROCESS...the 13 federal reserve banks request x amount of paper bills every month. the president signs a printing order for 1) federal reserve notes, or 2) US notes. the paper is SOLD to the banks at COST TO PRINT. THE banks ISSUES at FACE VALUE. MAKING the value plus interest.( and the debt)
the last president to issue US notes was KENNEDY. he was shot and killed and all US NOTES WERE REPLACED BY FEDERAL RESERVE NOTES with the US notes never issued by any fed res bank.
i am sure it was a coincidence, tho the argument he had with his dad,in fla before going to dallas was about money.

we are not argentina

Oh, you wait a few months.......Obiden did it and biden will do it again....

Stolen without permission from a thread on another site.

"Vista outdoor group said they were over a year behind, and over a billion dollars worth, of ammunition orders... before the election. It ain't gonna get better anytime soon I'm afraid."

ya need to list all the primer makers they control.
Stolen without permission from a thread on another site.

"Vista outdoor group said they were over a year behind, and over a billion dollars worth, of ammunition orders... before the election. It ain't gonna get better anytime soon I'm afraid."

Powder, N133?

I know I'm off the subject a little but any recommendations on were to get N133? I haven't had any luck and running low.

Marcos

Strange as it sounds, I've never loaded hand gun ammo....rifles only. I'm going to start loading 38Spl and 357 Magnum for a couple of my revolvers and needless to say, small pistol primers are virtually unobtainable at this point in time. A couple handgun pals have been using thin cupped (.020-.021) small rifle primers in their hand gun ammo with good results. Thankfully, I have 1000's of WSR primers on hand.

This chart isn't complete but may be useful. On another note....if you're stocked up with more than you can possibly ever use, help your fellow shooters out and pass them on.

Good shootin'. -Al

xy5E0Gbl.png

Thickness is NOT the only way to alter primer performance and cup strength.

The cup is punched from brass sheet stock.
An extra strike can easily alter the hardness of the cup.

Using slightly harder source brass to punch from also can alter cup hardness.

Back