primers backing out....

Fire form as already said. Some have put light oil on the brass before firing, to help it flow and fill the chamber. This oiling i do not know much about, other then reading.

Ohh jeepers.... if it gets too short grind the bottom of the die off. The chance of any standard die working is about one in 50 and when it's all said and done the 40 degree shoulder will never size right anyway.....

jus' sayin'

al

If the barrel is a common caliber, come up with a piece of brass that has been fired a few times with a good stout load, Size it with your dies and shell holder, with the die touching the shell holder during the sizing process, with no toggle,making sure that the shoulder was bumped in the process, and then use the resultant case, with a couple of layers of scotch tape on the back, to set your barrel nut barrel. Of course a go gauge would be a lot better, but that should get you there, and you should be able to size your cases with your die and shell holder.

Rereading the thread, I got sidetracked onto headspacing a barrel so that a stock die and shell holder would work, which was not the original issue. I believe that for the OPs situation, given that he is going to use Lapua brass, he should do what he wrote in post #14, and have the barrel set back so that Lapua brass is a crush fit. If that results in a situation where his die will not bump, I believe that the best remedy is to shorten a shell holder, or if the press is a Forster, the die.

I think you have to know exactly what is causing the feel. It may be the case head you feel on a fired case rather than the shoulder bottoming out. The latter being acceptable while the former is not. You could saw the case in half and get the same feel if what you feel is in the web area.

Hello all,

The barrel is in the process of being set back as we speak and using new Lapua brass should help get the crush fit that is advised so hopefully I will be in good shape shortly. Would it be helpful to have a set of Redding Comp shell holders to help with any headspace issues I may still have?

It appears I still have a long learning curve but at least I am over this hurdle.

Thanks for the advice. I very much appreciate it.

Have a great day,

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
The Redding Competition shell holders get progressively taller from standard, meaning you end up with cases
longer to the shoulder. I have found them to be worthless unless you have a headspace problem and need longer
cases to fit the chamber.
I have had more need to shorten shell holders to properly fit a tight chamber.

Hello all,

The barrel is in the process of being set back as we speak and using new Lapua brass should help get the crush fit that is advised so hopefully I will be in good shape shortly. Would it be helpful to have a set of Redding Comp shell holders to help with any headspace issues I may still have?

It appears I still have a long learning curve but at least I am over this hurdle.

Thanks for the advice. I very much appreciate it.

Have a great day,

Jamie

To all the naysayers I found the answer., Seeing as though I don't do many of these in 243AI, I went with my old reamer and Clymer go and no go AI headspace gauges on the original chambering. After Jaime brought it back, I started to do some investigating and found some startling $hit. I called PTG and ordered a new reamer and Headspace gauges to the tune of $180+ and it was the answer. I seems that when comparing the new gauges and the Lapua brass against the old Clymer gauges, the Clymer Go gauge was roughly .025" LONGER than the new PTG's. That old Clymer reamer was a POS also. The new Lapua cases are now a nice smooth crush fit on the new chamber.

Thanks Al for all the fine comments.

Jim

Back