Primer Preload

Show Me

My Grandpa was from Missouri, the Show Me State. He came to Iowa in a boxcar with his mules and farm equipment. Just Show Me a successful shooter such as Bart, and I will probably learn more from him than what I may learn from reading a book, a person with several tons of posts on BR Central, someone with an engineering degree, or someone with a theory.

Most generally it is hard to listen when you are talking.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
If you use an RCBS straight arm 'bench primer' you can feel the primer slide in, the protruding anvil touch the case, and the slight movement of forcing the anvil legs flush with the primer cup.

It is harder to feel with the mechanical advantage and friction of 'hand primers' using a 'cam' type surfaces.

The 'hand primers' can be improved by polishing the friction surfaces and putting some molly past on them.

If you use an RCBS straight arm 'bench primer' you can feel the primer slide in, the protruding anvil touch the case, and the slight movement of forcing the anvil legs flush with the primer cup.

It is harder to feel with the mechanical advantage and friction of 'hand primers' using a 'cam' type surfaces.

The 'hand primers' can be improved by polishing the friction surfaces and putting some molly past on them.

Ive never seen anything rcbs at a match- maybe a handle for a neck brush. Probably due to portability. With a custom priming tool you can feel it all- k&m, sinclair, 21st century and the old 2 handle bald eagle are what br shooters use. With any of those you could feel a scratch in the pocket, carbon on the bottom and exactly when the anvil touches. The other tools just wont do it

The best

hand primer, for feel and durability, I have ever owned is the K&M. I use one loading 30BR Lapua cases and Fed primers and can feel the primer into the pocket and feel it touch bottom. It's a great unit...and adheres to the kiss principle. JMO.

But...you just read the gospel....right here. Why would you go anywhere else to read anything about accuracy.
I'm not doubting Bart in the least. It was his mention of the article by John Gammuto that I thought would be a good read.

The Question he ask was about WOLF large rifle primers, Not about Fed or what ever. I did fool with this 4-5 years ago and yes you need a little more than touching due to the click bang issue they have. As for the diameter being larger i found that to be false with the lots i had. I never found them to out shoot or be more consistent than the CCI 450's and BR4's in the small primers and they do not do as well as LR Federal GM's…….. Jim O'Hara

The Question he ask was about WOLF large rifle primers, Not about Fed or what ever. I did fool with this 4-5 years ago and yes you need a little more than touching due to the click bang issue they have. As for the diameter being larger i found that to be false with the lots i had. I never found them to out shoot or be more consistent than the CCI 450's and BR4's in the small primers and they do not do as well as LR Federal GM's…….. Jim O'Hara

Jim,

Not the way I read it! He asked about preloading primers in general. Then went on to say he is currently using wolf primers.

Tell me more about the click bang issue. Nearly sounds like the primer wasn't bottomed out to begin with.

Bart

If y'all will allow....seating primers is small talk as long as you seat then to the bottom. I don't actually know if seating them above or below just touching makes a difference as I always seated them just touching - as best I could. I did OK with that. We're at the mercy of primer makers anyhow but when is the last time you heard somebody say they lost because they seated their primers wrong?

I won a match once...the whole match I believe...with primers falling out of the cases if I wasn't careful. I just loaded a round, looked to see if it had a primer and closed the bolt.

Jim,

Not the way I read it! He asked about preloading primers in general. Then went on to say he is currently using wolf primers.

Tell me more about the click bang issue. Nearly sounds like the primer wasn't bottomed out to begin with.

Bart

Bart, i don't think them not seated to the bottom was the problem, i could feel them touch in uniformed primer pockets. A delay in ignition was there due to very hard cup (for slam fires) and or the different mix the Russian primers use. They shot OK but not good enough for me to live with the click bang issue.Tried them in the 6.5x47 and the Dasher and Large rifle in my 7mm08. Maybe they changed them from when i had them, but i don't plan to find out….. jim

I tried the Wolf SR in both the Dasher and .30BR and had to quit because of the Click-bang syndrome. They just did not have the Umph for these two cartridges. Fed. 205's work very well as does the 450 CCI. Good shooting...James

Wilbur you have always been a renegade! From shooting free recoil and then hanging on to the gun, pinching bullet noses with pliers and shooting them! Now shooting with primers falling out! I also remember a lot of "dark art" practices such as, looking at people's targets and wishing shots out, and the illegal use of three leaf clovers for jinxing shooters!

Bart

Bart, i don't think them not seated to the bottom was the problem, i could feel them touch in uniformed primer pockets. A delay in ignition was there due to very hard cup (for slam fires) and or the different mix the Russian primers use. They shot OK but not good enough for me to live with the click bang issue.Tried them in the 6.5x47 and the Dasher and Large rifle in my 7mm08. Maybe they changed them from when i had them, but i don't plan to find out….. jim

Thanks Jim! That doesn't sound like the way to go!

Bart

Wilbur you have always been a renegade! From shooting free recoil and then hanging on to the gun, pinching bullet noses with pliers and shooting them! Now shooting with primers falling out! I also remember a lot of "dark art" practices such as, looking at people's targets and wishing shots out, and the illegal use of three leaf clovers for jinxing shooters!

Bart

Bill Saxton and I developed a method where one of us would stare at the target while the other would close his eyes and wish. Worked pretty good (really, it did) but Ed Watson broke us from that practice. Not only could we not "wish" Ed's shot out...we had terrible groups ourselves. Pretty sure we gave that up quickly as we couldn't tell who had the biggest medicine. I will tell you that Wayne Campbell was the easiest of all.....but watch out for bigger medicine.

I didn't think anybody knew about those clovers.....!!

Back