Primer pockets

Bigger concern might be the gases getting paste the primer and then damaging the face of a bolt. Not something that I have personally experienced but have heard being talked about. What I have personally witnessed is the face of a breech block being severely damaged when using pistol primers instead of large rifle in my own competitive shooting sport.

I can answer the question as asked. Yes, it will.

I didn't experience this just once but rather many times.

Bigger concern might be the gases getting paste the primer and then damaging the face of a bolt. ...........

THIS ^^^

Experienced it first hand many years ago when using steel bushings to reduce LR to SR on 308 Win and 250 Ackley. That was wayyyyyyyy before Lapua Palma SR 308 brass.

I can answer the question as asked. Yes, it will.

I didn't experience this just once but rather many times.

Thanks Wilbur. I couldn’t figure out how to word the question without taking up the whole page. Not talking about primers that can fall out.

I'll ask a question...

If you were winning and discovered your primers were leaking and pitting your bolt face...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?

I have plenty of Federal 205Ms

I found that new Lapua Br. cases maybe a 1/3 are fairly loose with Feds..... jim

and find the current ones a bear to seat in the primer pockets with my K&M primer tool...I mean I have to use a lot of force to get them into the pockets. I switched back to BR4s and they seat with normal resistance and are easily felt when they hit the pocket bottom. Remington 7 1/2 the same as BR4s. If it wasn't for the SR primer unavailability I would sell them in a heart beat. I never used to have this problem with Federals until about a year ago.

I bought a brick of 205s small rifle. when I got them home the individual sleeves were all marked small pistol. They do appear to be small pistol primers in the wrong box. I emailed Federal about it asking for a switch and never heard a word from them.

My answer

If you were winning and discovered your primers were leaking and pitting your bolt face...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?

I would try other primer brands or make new cases rather than risk a top notch shooting rifle's $650 bolt. No guarantees that a new bolt will make the rifle shoot as well. $650 bolts are not on my list of benchrest consumables.

and find the current ones a bear to seat in the primer pockets with my K&M primer tool...I mean I have to use a lot of force to get them into the pockets. I switched back to BR4s and they seat with normal resistance and are easily felt when they hit the pocket bottom. Remington 7 1/2 the same as BR4s. If it wasn't for the SR primer unavailability I would sell them in a heart beat. I never used to have this problem with Federals until about a year ago.

I bought a brick of 205s small rifle. when I got them home the individual sleeves were all marked small pistol. They do appear to be small pistol primers in the wrong box. I emailed Federal about it asking for a switch and never heard a word from them.

May not be the Fed primers, new Lapua cases have kind of went down hill. I have lots of 6 BR. where the Flash holes are well over .0625 and primer pockets loose as a goose. 220 Russians seem to have smaller flash holes .059 and tighter primer pockets.... jim

If you were winning...would you stop doing whatever you were doing to save your bolt face?

[My answer] I would try other primer brands or make new cases rather than risk a top notch shooting rifle's $650 bolt

Gary, I'm not sure that you answered Wilbur's question; does your answer assume that your rifle is "winning" and pitting the bolt face at the same time? What if you were winning at the SS?

Yes

Gary, I'm not sure that you answered Wilbur's question; does your answer assume that your rifle is "winning" and pitting the bolt face at the same time? What if you were winning at the SS?

I would finish the SS and then find the problem with the primers or cases that is causing bolt face erosion. If your car was leaking transmission fluid you would find the source of the problem and fix it rather than wreck your transmission?

Last edited:
I am lucky in that my most used 6PPC, a early vintage Farley with the S-7 tool steel bolt, still shows no erosion after thousands of rounds. That is one of the things Jim go right.

I have shot countless aggs with primers that had no feel what so ever going in. It is something you just accept in the Short Range game.

No Doubt

I am lucky in that my most used 6PPC, a early vintage Farley with the S-7 tool steel bolt, still shows no erosion after thousands of rounds. That is one of the things Jim go right.

I have shot countless aggs with primers that had no feel what so ever going in. It is something you just accept in the Short Range game.

With the N133 loads you shoot Jackie they probably expand the primer walls against the case before it has time to leak :D

Back