Primer Hardness?

antelopedundee

internet bum
Is there a generally agreed upon order of primer hardness among CCI, Remington, Federal and Winchester? I was led to believe that Remington is the hardest and Federal the softest? So maybe Rem, Win, CCI, Fed?

If the pressure is 50,000 psi then the pressure within a .062 primer hole would be 83 psi.

I did a small test to see if different primers would reduce cratering in my 30BR on a 700 action.

In particular, I was interested if the primers that are advertised as milspec to reduce the chance of a slam-fire in AR’s would show less cratering. I tried CCI #41 and Fed 205M-AR, with Fed 205M, 205, Winchester small rifle, CCI small rifle, CCI BR-4, and Rem 7 1/2 as standards.

The only one that visibly had smaller craters was the CCI #41. The 205M-AR did not appear any different than the 205 or 205M.

No, it’s not scientific. I didn’t measure thickness, velocity, or anything else. All I did was load them the same, fire, and look at the craters. “Your mileage may vary!”

Regards, Ron

Does primer cup hardness have much to do with consistency; i.e. one brand gives more consistent velocities shot to shot than another brand does? All other factors being equal.

You know, you can do a search on all these factors and come up with lengthy tests and conclusions instead of speculation.
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/02/most-accurate-rifle-primers-for-precision-reloading/

I can but I'd just as soon go direct to those likely to know. Someone on another message board was asking about primer variation and that reference was posted elsewhere also. The obvious answer to whether or not primers make a difference is to take your best load and simply try different brands keeping in mind that a different lot of the same brand may not give the exact same results.

Don't know if that's right or not but suspect it's not. I just calculated the area of a .062 inch round hole and applied that to 50,000 psi. I realized after I posted that the total pressure on the primer would be the result of the diameter of the space inside the primer...but who cares. If the primer gives up the ghost you have two choices...get a tougher primer or reduce the powder charge.

in the br game. It DOES NOT MATTER.
what matters is what happens on the TARGET.
SO WORK UP A LOAD with each PRIMER and then go shoot the best.

or do what most do , shoot a primer KNOWN to give uniform great results
that tends to be federal small rifle or small rifle match.
specific loads some time work better with a different primer.
an example is the cc450 in 6mm dasher and rl15.

If the pressure is 50,000 psi then the pressure within a .062 primer hole would be 83 psi.

If the pressure inside of a case the instant before the bullet departs is 50,000 psi or pounds then it's equal in all directions, no?

Last edited:
Perhaps......

......Wilbur meant to type "83 pounds" ??

I recall Jerry Stiller writing a very concise Precision Shooting article, concerning primer cratering/blanking and reducing the boltface firing pin hole diameter.
Anyone else remember?

Kevin

I did this test several years ago

The best way on any of the benchrest stuff is to do the hard work and test it yourself.
Retired has it right, the target tells the story.

Richard

Attachments

• Small Rifle Primer cup hardness and thickness.docx
    12.6 KB · Views: 132
If the pressure inside of a case the instant before the bullet departs is 50,00 psi then it's equal in all directions, no?

Yes, that's correct, but it's psi rather than pressure at ANY given point. John Kielly stated this a bit more eloquently earlier but I'm just being Wilbur and sayin' it differently

in the br game. It DOES NOT MATTER.
what matters is what happens on the TARGET.
SO WORK UP A LOAD with each PRIMER and then go shoot the best.

or do what most do , shoot a primer KNOWN to give uniform great results
that tends to be federal small rifle or small rifle match.
specific loads some time work better with a different primer.
an example is the cc450 in 6mm dasher and rl15.

I've never handled a small rifle primer so would the generalization about Federal being the best most uniform carry over to large rifle primers?

Back