Primer dents

Vern

Morethan1waytoskinacat
I have been using an RCBS priming tool but I know and have known that when it actually seats the primer at the bottom it leaves a small dent in the top of the primer.
No I am not just squeeeeezing it too hard. I stop just as soon as I feel it start into the pocket and hit bottom.
I have tried all kinds of things.

QUESTION is does that small dent make any difference and can it cause erratic groups?

I was debating on changing to either the K&M or the Sinclair because as I understand I can limit the depth that it seats to.

Any opinions on which is better?

Some are of the opinion ( not me) that the primer needs a slight crush for optimum results. I upgraded to a K& M from a Lee Auto Prime last year. I like the greater sensitivitity. As for having to handle the primers, I believe it takes a lot to render the primer compound inert.

I dont mind handling them not worried about that.
Just I thought the dent might be part of the erratic groups I am getting.

I marked the base of primers until I upgraded to my Sinclair which locks the case into position. That's continued when loss of hand sensitivity caused me to upgrade to a K & M dial seater.

I've felt that the marring on the primer base is a consequence of misalignment between the priming ram & primer pocket - which is resolved with those style of units that permit positive lockred alignment. I noticed that the issue was worse with those primers with a larger diameter or with a more rounded cup (Federal & Russian).

By the way, my experience has been with LR primers for the most part, so may not directly relate to SR primers.

Vern, all primer tools work the same way. I use an old, (and I mean old), RCBS tool on my 30BR, and a Sinclair on my PPC. I can't tell the difference in the function of either.

It seems to me like you might have a bad spot on the face of the plunger. Do you??.......jackie

Vern

Do the obvious - check the top of the punch to see if it's perfectly flat. It's probably not.

And if you're priming LR, make sure the punch is a LR.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked last time I was at the range
The punch is perfectly flat and usually I have a mark along one edge of the primer where you can see that it is still rounded where the rest has been flattened.
As though the punch is just not quite large enough.
These are small rifle primers.
I have a couple of Lee Primers that I dont use. I thought I might check them out and see if I have the same problem with them.

I had a sinclair years ago and I thought I remembered that I could set it so that it bottomed out without crushing the primer no matter how far it was inserted.

I've worn out several of the RCBS units and they all left a "low side" on the primer. The seated primer has a flat mark which makes it look as if the ram is coming in at an angle.

I switched over to a Cabela's made by Hornady which I love. But of course they quit making it and I only bought three....

I've used the Sinclair and K & M and just don't see the need.

Please understand, I'M A HOBBYIST!!! I do not shoot for Hall Of Fame points here...... I'm NOT out there competing every week..... but in my backyard testing I just cannot see the difference between "good" primer seaters and "junkie" ones. I expect and achieve single digit ES numbers using a tray style unit.

opinionsby

al

Vern,
Load up several with the other primer tool and some with the RCBS you are seeing the marks on and see what the paper tells you. The only time I have seen a noticeable change on target is if I dont seat with enough pressure, seems worse than a little to much.
Andy B

Andy thats just it I dont like what the paper is telling me so I am examining everything trying to find the solution(s).
Because I know that it could be just a combination of little things and not just one big thing.
I am going to try the lee again as soon as I get a chance. Probably next weekend

I did notice today that the RCBS priming rod seems to be sloppy in the hole.
Just for grins I picked up a piece of steel rod today that is just snug. A little sanding and polishing will solve that part but then if it does,,,, all things being the same I should end up with an evenly flattened primer... not that that is any better.
I think Ill put them on ebay and sell them all and buy the sinclair.

I think that wear is a big problem with the cheaper units, the Lee seems to have pot metal in the linkage..... you would think that the components used in the K&M, Sinclair, and 21st Century would last a lifetime....although periodically lubing the linkage points would be a good idea.

Vern,
I have used the Sinclair, borrowed during a match, and it works very well. Not sure I would, you may be handier than I, repair the old one. It does make sense that the rod is contacting the primer at a slight angle and pusing harder on one side than the other due to the wear. I would send it along and replace it. Make sure the new rod fits in the primer hole so it wont contact the outsides and crimp it. I still use my Lee primer, has been no trouble. But with proper cleaning and lubing a sinclair or other type primer tool should last a life time. Keep us posted on the results. Be interresting to see if thats the problem. Or like you say part of it at least.

Andy B

Last edited by a moderator:
ditto

if I get overly exuberant squeezing the handle on my RCBS unit it also leaves that mark on the primer and have to really concentrate to get the pressure just right.

Back