Price for 6PPC VH gun?

Hi Folks:

I wish to sell my 6 PPC VH gun and all of the extras. What would a fair price be?

The gun was built by Clarence Hammonds with all of the best bells and goodies. It is based on a 722 action with a McMillen stock, Hart 2 oz. trigger , Shilen barrel etc. It also has a Burris 6x HBR scope mounted. I have about 1000 Euber bullets for it plus many other brands of bullets. Of course dies and cases come with the gun. I also have a fair amount of new brass that will go with the gun. The gun has about 500 rounds through it and will shoot one hole with no problem.

A chap is interested in buying the gun and I will never return to BR shooting due to health reasons.

What would be a fair price for the gun? This will be a face to face deal with no shipping.

Stay well my friends,

Zeke

Hi Folks:

I wish to sell my 6 PPC VH gun and all of the extras. What would a fair price be?

The gun was built by Clarence Hammonds with all of the best bells and goodies. It is based on a 722 action with a McMillen stock, Hart 2 oz. trigger , Shilen barrel etc. It also has a Burris 6x HBR scope mounted. I have about 1000 Euber bullets for it plus many other brands of bullets. Of course dies and cases come with the gun. I also have a fair amount of new brass that will go with the gun. The gun has about 500 rounds through it and will shoot one hole with no problem.

A chap is interested in buying the gun and I will never return to BR shooting due to health reasons.

What would be a fair price for the gun? This will be a face to face deal with no shipping.

Stay well my friends,

Zeke

I would call Clarence Hammonds.

Hi,

Did you come up with a fair price? Is the gun still available? Assume VH meants Varmint / Hunter, hence the 6x Scope.

Thanks Bob

Look for something similar in the classifieds and then add some to it for "bartering" purposes. You can always reduce the price!

As a side note, I was looking at laser engravers on ebay a few days ago and a fellow had one that was priced somewhat low...a lot low. While I was worrying about whether the tube was good, he dropped the auction and replaced it with a higher price. It's been a few days now and he doesn't have any offers. Pretty sure if he just started out with the higher price it would be sold. It's still a good deal...but....he went up instead of down and could have done it differently.

Doesn't it just have to meet Light Varmint weight and be at least one caliber above .22? Thought that in theory at least, a rifle with a weight all in of under 10.5 pounds could shoot in hunter with a 6 power scope, Light Varmint, Heavy Varmint, Light Bench Rest and Unlimited, even though it would not be a super performer. I am just getting into this and learning a lot from reading at this point. Shooters Corner has a lot of 6PPCs on their used Bench Rest list. Might be a good starting point.

Bob

Last edited:
Actually, as of 2014

Doesn't it just have to meet Light Varmint weight and be at least one caliber above .22? Thought that in theory at least, a rifle with a weight all in of under 10.5 pounds could shoot in hunter with a 6 power scope, Light Varmint, Heavy Varmint, Light Bench Rest and Unlimited, even though it would not be a super performer. I am just getting into this and learning a lot from reading at this point. Shooters Corner has a lot of 6PPCs on their used Bench Rest list. Might be a good starting point.

Bob

Any caliber under .338, and any case, is legal in NBRSA Hunter Benchrest. The defining criteria are the 2.25" stock, 10# total weight, and 6 power scope.

David

When did they change the case length rule or power factor or whatever it was that made folks shoot the "x"x47 case?

What you are describing

When did they change the case length rule or power factor or whatever it was that made folks shoot the "x"x47 case?

is the original paradigm for HBR in the NBRSA. The change to any bullet, any cartridge occurred at the Nationals in 2013 and became effective 1/1/2014. The VH ( Varmint Hunter) rules are IBS and have been in existence almmost since the inception of the IBS. It was done to allow recoil sensitive types ( wooses ) to shoot the 6X class. Sometime in the last 4 or 5 years the IBS dissolved the HBR/VH separation for competition and only maintained a difference for matter of records. Actually a plus for the clubs, cuz they then only had to hand out 1 set of trophies for 6X.

And, OBTW, Go back and look at the last few year's matches and all the records in the IBS, for 6X. If the 30BR was so all powerful a competitior, why do most of the 6X winners shoot 30x47's or 30x44's? And why are the HBR records higher than the VH?

Kinda like the 6ppc in vfs. Everybody just has to have a 30 but it hasnt really revolutionized the record book since folks started using it.

Kinda like the 6ppc in vfs. Everybody just has to have a 30 but it hasnt really revolutionized the record book since folks started using it.

Interesting comment. IBS doesn't list calibers on its records page. Do you know which records were set with a 6? I would have guessed that nearly all were set by a 30.

Thanks,
Keith

well, one I know for sure

Interesting comment. IBS doesn't list calibers on its records page. Do you know which records were set with a 6? I would have guessed that nearly all were set by a 30.

Thanks,
Keith

That was a 6PPC was the first 250-25X record. Dick can give the name and date.

David

That was a 6PPC was the first 250-25X record. Dick can give the name and date.

David

Dennis Collins was the first person to shoot 250-25X he did it with a LV in 1995 and a HV in 1996. Then Ted Parreco and Jeff Buchanan also did it with a PPC.
Carl Baker did it with a PPC shooting 19 wipeouts, this record stood for a long time (6 years) before it was finally broken with A 30BR by Al Weaver who shot 21 wipeouts and is the current HV record holder. With a lot of help from Joe Entrekin I have compiled this list. My good friend Herb Llewellyn Holds the LV record at 18 wipeouts set in 08 and is the only person to shoot 25x with a LV since Dennis did it originally. All my information is regarding IBS matches. I am not aware of how many times it has been done in NBRSA.

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/shooter_rankings/25Xclub.php

Dick

P.S. I just checked and 250-25x was shot 4 times this year, all with 30's, probably 30BR's but my information is not that complete.

Last edited:
Dennis Collins was the first person to shoot 250-25X he did it with a LV in 1995 and a HV in 1996. Then Ted Parreco and Jeff Buchanan also did it with a PPC.
Carl Baker did it with a PPC shooting 19 wipeouts, this record stood for a long time (6 years) before it was finally broken with A 30BR by Al Weaver who shot 21 wipeouts and is the current record holder. With a lot of help from Joe Entrekin I have compiled this list.

http://internationalbenchrest.com/results/shooter_rankings/25Xclub.php

Dick

P.S. I just checked and 250-25x was shot 4 times this year, all with 30's, probably 30BR's but my information is not that complete.

Dick, thank you for the opportunity to display my ignorance once again. Just what is a "wipeout"?

Just what is a "wipeout"?

Jerry,
Back in 96 when Dennis shot the first 250-25x something needed to be done to measure advancements beyond simply shooting 25x. There was much talk of changing the size of things on the target but this would adversely affect the 6X shooters. Using two different targets is a nightmare, we went that way already on Black vs Red targets.The IBS Score committee got together and decided instead of changing anything on the existing target they would count the number of times the dot was taken completely out rather than just touched. In IBS counting wipeouts at the range level is not permitted. It is for Record Committee usage only because it is very subjective. NBRSA feels differently and breaks ties by wipeouts at the range level (I believe). In IBS, (and many people do not understand this) if two shooters are scored at 250-25x it is a tie, period. Even if all the scorers and referees look at the targets and it looks like one shooter has clearly more wipeouts.

Dick

PS: I still remember a few years ago on this very board there was a whole lot of talk about how to change the target to accommodate all the people shooting 25x sets of targets. Well it has not turned into much of a problem as far as I have seen, on average 2 or 3 times a year somebody shoots a set that is a true 25x.And none have come very close to Challenging Al's 21 WO record. It will fall one of these days I am sure, but not yet.

is the original paradigm for HBR in the NBRSA. The change to any bullet, any cartridge occurred at the Nationals in 2013 and became effective 1/1/2014. The VH ( Varmint Hunter) rules are IBS and have been in existence almmost since the inception of the IBS. It was done to allow recoil sensitive types ( wooses ) to shoot the 6X class. Sometime in the last 4 or 5 years the IBS dissolved the HBR/VH separation for competition and only maintained a difference for matter of records. Actually a plus for the clubs, cuz they then only had to hand out 1 set of trophies for 6X.

And, OBTW, Go back and look at the last few year's matches and all the records in the IBS, for 6X. If the 30BR was so all powerful a competitior, why do most of the 6X winners shoot 30x47's or 30x44's? And why are the HBR records higher than the VH?

This change (above, in red) is subject to a 3 year trial period, beginning with the 2014 season. At the conclusion of the 2016 NBRSA season, this will be reviewed, and be either eliminated, or, made permanent. While I'd bet on the latter, I would not count on it. The hope is that declining Hunter Class participation can be reversed. It's too early to tell, but, at the 2014 NBRSA Hunter/VfS Nationals, we did experience our first [Hunter] increase in, at least, 5 years.

Oh, and .338" remains the maximum caliber: the, "change to any bullet, any cartridge " is somewhat misleading. :p RG

I just counted and 25x targets (certified) were shot 28 times in last 10 years. 2.8 times a year, a few more were range scored at 25x but did not stand up to Record committee scrutiny.

Jerry,
Back in 96 when Dennis shot the first 250-25x something needed to be done to measure advancements beyond simply shooting 25x. There was much talk of changing the size of things on the target but this would adversely affect the 6X shooters. Using two different targets is a nightmare, we went that way already on Black vs Red targets.The IBS Score committee got together and decided instead of changing anything on the existing target they would count the number of times the dot was taken completely out rather than just touched. In IBS counting wipeouts at the range level is not permitted. It is for Record Committee usage only because it is very subjective. NBRSA feels differently and breaks ties by wipeouts at the range level (I believe). In IBS, (and many people do not understand this) if two shooters are scored at 250-25x it is a tie, period. Even if all the scorers and referees look at the targets and it looks like one shooter has clearly more wipeouts.

Dick

PS: I still remember a few years ago on this very board there was a whole lot of talk about how to change the target to accommodate all the people shooting 25x sets of targets. Well it has not turned into much of a problem as far as I have seen, on average 2 or 3 times a year somebody shoots a set that is a true 25x.And none have come very close to Challenging Al's 21 WO record. It will fall one of these days I am sure, but not yet.

The wipeout rule you are referring to went the way of the DoDo about 5 years ago Dick. Very thankfully I might add. The NBRSA Records committee is the arbiter of wipeouts. I I would sure like to see a 25X tie in 2015. That is a huge jump in the caliber of shooters.

Back