Powders???

S

ssheets

I'm relatively new at reloading, but having a great time learning. I need to buy more powder for my .223 and 22-250. What powders would you recommend for 50-65 grain bullets for the .223 and 36-60 grain bullets for the 22-250?

I've been using Reload 15 and IMR 3031. I was thinking about getting more of each of those and some TAC and Win 748.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I've had a lot of luck with the 223 using blc-2 and H322 which are Hodgdon powders.

I've shot a lot more 22-250's and had good accuracy with a host of powders including 3031. H380 works well and I've had excellent results of late with N135. Shot some bugholes with this powder and berger bullets.

Bottom line, try some different bullet/powder combos and then feed your rifles what it likes.

For the .223, 25.0gr of Varget and a 69gr SMK is a load that is known for great accuracy in quite a few rifles. As always start about 1.5 gr. under and work up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varget

I have to agree on the varget, The only powder I have in an 8 lb jug is varget. It works well in my rifles from 22.250, 220 swift and 243, Even works in my 06 class rifles. Good powder, meters well, fills the case well, and doesnt really care if the the primer is a regular or match, as my chrony doesnt show any meaningful diffrence in velocity between the 2 for the same load. Have used it in hot to freezing cold, with no adverse effects. Not saying its the best, but it is one of the better all around powders.

I'll throw in another vote for Varget with the 69s...I used H322 on the lighter bullets...a friend suggested H4198 for the 50 somethings, but haven't had a chance to try that yet...

Tom

Thanks, how about brass? I've been using Winchester brass I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse and some Lake City I bought on line. The Lake city looked beautiful once I ran it through the tumbler. The Winchester looks pretty dinged up right out of the bag.

One of my good friends is the local game warden. He's trying to set up a squirrel shoot for the two of us so I'm working on some loads. I'm thinking the 65gr. Bergers for a little breezier conditions and the 50 or 55gr. V max's for the calmer conditions. The 22-250 will be equipped with 36 gr. Varmint Grenades and some 50gr V-max's.

For the 223, load it up with H322 and 40 grain VMax or 40 grain Ballistic Tip bullets. Brass doesn't matter, I use whatever I can get my hands on. I've loaded thousands like this. You will have no problem shooting 400 yards. Since you're shooting ground squirrels, your terrain will be more like 200 yards and less. Load the 40 grain bullets, zero your gun at about 150 to 200 yards and will be able to put the X right on them and pull the trigger... No more aiming above or below the critter to hit him.

Squirrel shooting is not a big deal......

200-250 yard shots is way out there. I usually shot 27.5g of 748 with the 50g Sierra Blitz for unreal accuracy at 3450 fps.

Usually where there are squirrels, you have be concerned with bullets bouncing all over the country side. For this reason, I would opt for the lighter bullets.

Good luck!

Thanks, I did load up some 50 Gr V-max and the 22-250 will sport the 36 Gr VGs.

Try...

IMR 4895 in both. Have to stick a lot in a 222 or 223 but it gets the velocity you need and shoots great in both the 223 and 22-250. Simplifies the number of powders you have laying around.

Hovis

IMR 4895 in both. Have to stick a lot in a 222 or 223 but it gets the velocity you need and shoots great in both the 223 and 22-250. Simplifies the number of powders you have laying around.

Hovis

Me too! :) IMR 4895 works well in my .204. See attachment.

Attachments

• Remington 700-.204 #2.jpg
    Remington 700-.204 #2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 188
Back