Powder

.22 ppc

With the upcoming season right around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has seen any developments in powder choice for 6 ppc. Is LT-32 and 133 still the go to as usual? Have there been any more recent lots of certain powders that show promise ie: 8208,H322,Benchmark. Gonna try and get the old 6 to group this season to compare against my newly acquired 220 beggs drop port cobra at 200 yards. I believe the difference between 6 and 22 at 100 is 6 one way half a dozen the other. Would also like to see if the extra velocity of the 22 ppc gives any measurable advantage at the longer ranges against the beggs. My hunch is all are pretty darn close and it’ll come down to what I practice the most with. We’ll see if I can pull another upset this year like I did at the last match at gallatin! ;)

Just to answer one of your questions, velocity is a non factor at 100/200 yards, considering the velocity will be in the range of 3300 fps and 3400 fps, where the vast majority of practical 6PPC loads used in 100/200/300 Benchrest fall.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some of the good shooters give Rl-10x a deeper look In 2016 and 2017 I was shooting Rl-10x in the 3525 fps range and getting good results.

My problem was eyesight but I still could get the first 3 shots in a dot and 2-3 groups in the low 2's in an agg.

If the first 3 don't dot the load selection is wrong anyway.

Remember. the group doesn't get any smaller after the 2nd shot.

3525??

what weight of bullet? If your talking a 6ppc that would be a pretty stout load to say the least.
I have been testing some 10X at 3370-3400.

Richard

what weight of bullet? If your talking a 6ppc that would be a pretty stout load to say the least.
I have been testing some 10X at 3370-3400.

Richard

With the 3,500 fps+ loads I am using bullets in the 65-68 grain, 790-825 jacket range. I have shot bullets by at least 4 makers. All were light jam. none jumping.

Even shot some no-clean aggs without a lot of difficulty in cleaning.

Not loads for barrels where the shooter wants to get shot count range in the 2000 round barrel life.

I normally shoot about 500 rounds then change barrels.

At 3,500+ they do go all the way through the target!

I'm not Jerry

but it really comes down to your tuning abilities. All the powders listed will shoot small groups. But different powders don't tune the same. Pick a good powder and learn what it likes under different conditions. I have not seen a "magic" powder yet.

Richard

So how would you compare 10x to the other powders I listed?

The burn rate is more consistent, lot to lot, than any I've used.

Not sensitive to neck tension. V133 is very sensitive.

It will produce quite a bit more velocity, if needed, than V133 or the LT stuff.

Like Richard wrote, pick a powder and learn it. But when some powders are very different, lot to lot... then??

Suggested starting charge weight

I am interested in trying 10x. What have you found for a starting charge weight?

Back