Powder question

Tim Oltersdorf

I have two jugs of Thunderbird powder labeled T 322. It came in white plastic 8 pound jugs. There is no lot number. It is a dark grey extruded powder with small kernels. Is this the same as "T powder"? Tim

that powder is DECEASED!!

the only reason it's still setting there is because someone misplaced it....

it's not STUNNED.... it's DECEASED!!

it's a stiff!

bereft of life, let i' rest in peace!

'It's metabolic processes are now 'istory!

it's off the twig!

'sit kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!!

THIS IS AN EX-POWDER!!!!

I'll give you an 'unnerd bucks f'er it

I don't remember much but I do remember that this is really, really, really good powder for Benchrest shooting.

I'll try it at the Cactus

I read some old posts, remembered ancient rumors and recalled shooting it in AZ. and TX. myself about the time of the Cretaceous period. From what I can gather it was the most precise powder used in benchrest at the time. Tony shot a lot of it before he ran out of it and switched to V133. BTW the switch didn't seem to hurt his shooting any. I remembered it as shooting well in the dry Phoenix and some dry Texas conditions. It was a powder you didn't have to keep chasing the load with as much as 133. My experience was that, yes it was a good powder, but it would not automatically turn you into a great shooter. If you were a great shooter and knew the powder well it could give you a slight edge in competition. What confused me was the T322 designation. The T powder I remembered shooting was T32 not T322. I saw in an old post that T powder was initially labeled as T322 but after complaints by the Hodgkin powder company the name was changed to T32. That is the labeling I remember. Supposedly T322 is the same powder as T32. I plan to take 2 pounds to the Cactus as well as V133 to try out. Tim

Last edited:
Dr. Tim, I know nothing about T powder, but some new “T” showed up w some StL shooters a few years ago. Real fast stuff. Some ppl thought it was legit. Maybe that is what you got.

That powder was [probably] sold by Thunderbird, Phoenix, AZ. They originally bottled the stuff (surplus) & labeled it T322. Hodgdon owned the "H322" moniker (copyright), and, advised Thunderbird to cease and desist infringing - so, Thunderbird went to T-32.
As I recall, there were several Lots - maybe three . . . but that was a LONG time ago, and recollections evolve . . . as you stated, dinosaurs were probably present at award ceremonies.:pRG

P.S> We bought that crap for $40.00 per jug . . . :D

I sold my early lots at the cactus a couple years back.
bring it, walt can tell you if it ever shot well

Dr Tim,
You need to talk to Walt Berger, I had some a couple of years ago and Walt told me a starting load and he was right on . When Thunderbird shut down, I believe Walt bought all they had and that’s when it became T-32.

furry dolphins

Dr Tim,
You need to talk to Walt Berger, I had some a couple of years ago and Walt told me a starting load and he was right on . When Thunderbird shut down, I believe Walt bought all they had and that’s when it became T-32.

That is a darn good suggestion. I will ask Walt about it. I am curious about your name Riverwolf 1. I was unaware that wolves were aquatic animals. True, the golden retriever I used to have would love to sneak out, go to the pond 300 yards away, snatch a live duck and bring it back to me in my garage. There I was presented with a smelly, wet, large, pissed off waterfowl. When released it would get away and run amuck in the garage until corralled by yours truly. This would result in a wildly quacking animal lashing out with wings and a very damp me smelling strongly of stinky duck. The walk back to the pond to release the duck was always an adventure with the dog tagging along and thinking "aha! so this is how we now play fetch".

T322-t32

Got three of these from an Old Timer(Benchrest Shooter) who knew his powders. He said that he shot it every where. So,I suspect that its not location sensitive as some claim. I take some with me to every match. I got it to shoot in Arkansas one time. Won a yardage.
If it'll shoot in Arkansas, it'll shoot anywhere:D

3mg4M4T.jpg

Glenn

Miracle Powder

Hey Joe, I don't find that old T powder to be such a miracle at all. I got it to work that one time. It has its quirks just like any other powder. My impatience may have something to do with it.

Glenn

Last edited:
I read some old posts, remembered ancient rumors and recalled shooting it in AZ. and TX. myself about the time of the Cretaceous period. From what I can gather it was the most precise powder used in benchrest at the time. Tony shot a lot of it before he ran out of it and switched to V133. BTW the switch didn't seem to hurt his shooting any. I remembered it as shooting well in the dry Phoenix and some dry Texas conditions. It was a powder you didn't have to keep chasing the load with as much as 133. My experience was that, yes it was a good powder, but it would not automatically turn you into a great shooter. If you were a great shooter and knew the powder well it could give you a slight edge in competition. What confused me was the T322 designation. The T powder I remembered shooting was T32 not T322. I saw in an old post that T powder was initially labeled as T322 but after complaints by the Hodgkin powder company the name was changed to T32. That is the labeling I remember. Supposedly T322 is the same powder as T32. I plan to take 2 pounds to the Cactus as well as V133 to try out. Tim

Holy cow!! When was that powder popular and available??

91 and still kicking

Walt Berger was shooting at the Cactus. He told me he was 91. He also told me this T 322 was not T powder but some lot of 8208. Holy cow, 91 and still shooting! This defies normal human physiology. I suspect some mystic pharmacological elixir like Monkey Gland Extract, Dr. Xeno's life prolonging syrup or most likely the occult. I am going to the nearest cemetery, get a dead skunk, twirl it around and sling it over a fresh grave, shouting "skunk, skunk, spin, spin, make that 5th. shot go in." The result would probably smell similar to the final group; but it just might work. Tim

Walt Berger was shooting at the Cactus. He told me he was 91. He also told me this T 322 was not T powder but some lot of 8208. Holy cow, 91 and still shooting! This defies normal human physiology. I suspect some mystic pharmacological elixir like Monkey Gland Extract, Dr. Xeno's life prolonging syrup or most likely the occult. I am going to the nearest cemetery, get a dead skunk, twirl it around and sling it over a fresh grave, shouting "skunk, skunk, spin, spin, make that 5th. shot go in." The result would probably smell similar to the final group; but it just might work. Tim

hmm....The bottle my T-powder came in says T-32,lot 2. I wonder if its some lot of 8208.

Glenn

Far be it from me to question Walt, but didn't T-32 come from three lots of military 8208? Walt and Don Geraci found one of the three to shoot best and that become T-32. The other 2 lots were jugged as Thunderbird 8208...and they were labeled "8208".

My dad has an unopened jug of T-32 from the 80's (same container as yours).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Far be it from me to question Walt, but didn't T-32 come from three lots of military 8208? Walt and Don Geraci found one of the three to shoot best and that become T-32. The other 2 lots were jugged as Thunderbird 8208...and they were labeled "8208".

My dad has an unopened jug of T-32 from the 80's (same container as yours).

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Yes,I've heard that T powder story before.Makes you wonder,How much of the notoriety of This old powder can be mostly attributed To the shooting skills of Walt Berger, Don Geraci and others.

Wish I had a private shooting range in my backyard.

Glenn

I shot beside Mike Walker at Weikert in HV 100 when he was 92.Jeff Stover has the photo.

Yes,I've heard that T powder story before.Makes you wonder,How much of the notoriety of This old powder can be mostly attributed To the shooting skills of Walt Berger, Don Geraci and others.

Wish I had a private shooting range in my backyard.

Glenn

For years, the best Benchrest Shooter ever shot “T”, and everybody just had to have it. “If I just had some “T”.

The question always came up,......”what will happen when he runs out of “T”?

Well, he finally did run out, and switched to 133.

He just kept on winning.

Back