portable benches

reelxprs

what is everyone using for benches at ranges like butner nc that doesn't have fixed benches. I am a newbie for 600-1000 yd matches.I have a good friend who can get me on butner nc range quite often for practice but I need to know what to shoot from.
thanks
jeff

I think I'd classify the NC 1000 yard benches as "movable" rather than "portable." They are not taken apart, but stored in a trailer. I've seen one person carry one by himself. Once. After that, though young & strong, he did what the rest of us do: use two people.

You can make a pretty good portable bench using threaded 2-inch pipe and a double layer of 3/4 inch plywood. You could get by with just 3/4" ply and 1" pipe. Not as rigid.

Set the threaded caps to take the pipe on a wooden wedge, so they splay a bit. As to design, it is harder to level up a four-legged bench, but they are sturdier.

Hope to see you next year at the matches.

Having carried those benches Charles mentioned, I can attest to them being nice and heavy. I have a bench much like those, and even donated a nice set of legs to the VA club when I left mine at the Nats one year. I used the same arrangement for legs that they did with the two pieces of telescoping steel pipe. I like the extra smooth stuff the best but I don't think it really matters. The biggest thing I'd say is to use a good steel square tubing for the table frame and then weld the floor flanges to that so you can attac/remove the legs. Splay them as Charles says, and use something solid, like pieces of 3/8x3/4" steel for the spacer that holds it at an angle. Weld them solid enough and you'll have a bench that you might actually prefer shooting from after you get used to it. Be certain to make it long enough for your longest gun, plus about 8" (is my advice). My heavy gun rests use every inch of the ones at the aforementioned clubs.

I'd also recommend welding big heavy washers on for feet, or if you happen to have some slugs from punching steel, use those with no holes in the center. A nice flat foot on the thing is a whole lot better in wet soil than having it sink into the dirt as you shoot. Ymmv.

Portable bench

One of my friends fabricated this portable bench for me with 2" tubular steel legs angled out 5 degrees and a 3/4" plywood top. He welded skid plate feet on the legs. It's very solid and stable. He also made a carrier for the three legs and put a handle on the side of the bench. I use it at the range and varmint hunting. nhk

Attachments

• P4160060.jpg
    P4160060.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 511
  • P4160065.jpg
    P4160065.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 504
Last edited by a moderator:
reelxprs,

We built about 20 portable benches for the 600 yd IBS program at Oak Ridge (ORSA) and several others for individuals. The tops are 44" long and 29" wide with a cutout for the shooter. They're three layers of 5/8" plywood glued and screwed and much heavier than I prefer to throw in and out of the truck. In the future I plan to use only 2 layers. The legs are 1 1/4" black iron pipe, 32" long on the front and 24" on the back with a telescoping piece of 1" 14" long inside for leveling. The short piece is set to length with a 1/2"x13"x3/4" long hex bolt through a nut welded 2" above the bottom of the 1 1/4" section. At the top are brackets made from 5"x5" 10 ga. plates with a 1 1/4 merchant coupling (steel) cut off at 18 degrees welded on at the center and angled so the leg points out from the corner of the top (45 degrees). The tops of the legs are threaded and the bottoms have flat caps welded on. The plates are secured onto the bottom of the wooden tops with four 5/16" carriage bolts. I continue to make additional 3 and 4 leg sets for folks who make their own tops if you're interested.

Greg

Here are the benches I built for the Catawba Valley Wildlife Club in Hickory NC. It is all 2" welded tubular steel with 3/4" plywood tops. They weight 80 lbs. and are as stable as shooting on concrete benches. Definitely go the three leg design. No matter what the surface, they will be stable. http://www.catawbawildlife.org/rifle_range.html Once you get to to the site go to the "events and photos" Rich De

Last edited:
Rich would you have the dimensions of the benches?
Terry Pohl

for interest

a three leg tensioned timber portable bench

portablebench.jpg
[/IMG]

cheers
goodi

T POHL:

The benches are 31.5" high. Front to rear is 48"..........The forward portion is 36" wide by 18" deep. The narrow or rear portion is 18" wide.
Rich De

Thanks Rich I think I am going to try to build one and see how it turns out. If I like it I know I will have two are three to build for my Brothers and one sister.
Terry Pohl

T Pohl............Actually what I did was to build a "mock-up" out of wood first. Then presented it to the clubs board of directors. Once I got their approval, I proceeded to make it from steel. I still have the mock up and use it in my basement.
Rich De

The attached bench top is three layers of 3/4" plywood. Its about 35" square as all three pieces were cut out of one sheet of plywood. The legs are 2 1/4" oilfield tubing angle welded onto flat plates about 6" square. The legs are bolted onto the top with 1/2" bolts. Key to its performance is the rachet strap attached to the bottom middle of the bench. An anchor is driven into the ground and then the rachet strap pulls the bench tightly down to the ground. Its close to as stable as a good concrete bench. One person can move it but, it is heavy enough that you really need a friend to help.

Joe

Attachments

• Tymn.jpg
    Tymn.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 322
Here are the benches I built for the Catawba Valley Wildlife Club in Hickory NC. It is all 2" welded tubular steel with 3/4" plywood tops. They weight 80 lbs. and are as stable as shooting on concrete benches. Definitely go the three leg design. No matter what the surface, they will be stable. http://www.catawbawildlife.org/rifle_range.html Once you get to to the site go to the "events and photos" Rich De

Rich De shared his bench design with me a few years ago, our club built them and they are a perfect portable design but very solid. The key to them being solid is by a 3 leg design, not 4. Ron Tilley

I have a "portable" bench that may be used as either a three leg, or four. When used with four, one of the legs is adjustable, and it is that configuration that is the most stable. One feature of the design is that the top is shaped so that you can sit directly behind the rifle without one's chest touching the bench, but with good support for both arms. the legs are 1 1/2" pipe. The sockets are made from angle cut couplings that are welded to 1/4" plates that are 5" sq. in front and one piece across the back. The diagonal leg angles are about 16 degrees. The whole thing weighs about 85#.

Back