POA Strategy

Benchrest book authors Ratigan and Boyer advocate a 12 o'clock moth ball POA hold strategy. Jack Neary, in his videos, advises a 6 o'clock POA. I can understand the repeatability benefits that either of these strategies offer if one is able to execute all 5 record shots during exactly the same wind conditions. That can happen by rapidly executing all 5 shots during the same momentary condition or by waiting for a particular condition to represent itself.

As my benchrest experience has progressed, I am finding it more and more necessary to adjust my default 12 o'clock POA to offset perceived differences in wind direction and intensity. To my eye, it seems that the wind is never constant or repeatable. If that's the reality, then it seems to me it would be easier to judge and execute the required hold adjustment if my default POA was the center of the moth ball rather than the 12 o'clock position.

I would be interested to hear how other shooters approach this topic. Thanks!

Benchrest book authors Ratigan and Boyer advocate a 12 o'clock moth ball POA hold strategy. Jack Neary, in his videos, advises a 6 o'clock POA. I can understand the repeatability benefits that either of these strategies offer if one is able to execute all 5 record shots during exactly the same wind conditions. That can happen by rapidly executing all 5 shots during the same momentary condition or by waiting for a particular condition to represent itself.

As my benchrest experience has progressed, I am finding it more and more necessary to adjust my default 12 o'clock POA to offset perceived differences in wind direction and intensity. To my eye, it seems that the wind is never constant or repeatable. If that's the reality, then it seems to me it would be easier to judge and execute the required hold adjustment if my default POA was the center of the moth ball rather than the 12 o'clock position.

Kyle, I have always liked the group to form at 6:00 o’clock on the mothball for the condition I am shooting in.

When shooting group, I prefer the 6:00 o’clock hold also but for one other reason. I feel you get a better measurement if you don’t get into the black of the aiming square at or above the 12:00 spot.
Also,I try to blast away while “that one” condition presents itself. I like to get to the line early and see which condition last longest and after I’m seated the watching continues.

When shooting group, I prefer the 6:00 o’clock hold also but for one other reason. I feel you get a better measurement if you don’t get into the black of the aiming square at or above the 12:00 spot.
Also,I try to blast away while “that one” condition presents itself. I like to get to the line early and see which condition last longest and after I’m seated the watching continues.

Yea, what Francis typed....
But, POA is 6:00. My POI is to the right. About 2 clicks....I stay out of aiming square. My POA is not disturbed(usually).
And it makes sense on the sighter. Because of the way, the sighter is printed. And more important, it makes sense to me....I can extrapolate pretty good, most times....eh, chase the first shot for a year or so and you have to.....Don't like going to sighter....usually a wasted shot.
It's like a sighter/fouler for Score. "Dang, I wasted a good bullseye, again".
But, I am a nobody....so.......

I shot in only one group match

and decoded to intersect the crosshairs with the lower right corner the square box, thinking that would be the most accurate aiming place. Worked pretty well for me, I came in third. 2 HOF shooters in the match.

Pete

Pete...you got lucky. That's not just a bad place to hold, it's the worst place. It is, however, a great place to repeat!

Kyle,
I use a center mothball hold, with my POI at 6:00 on a neutral condition.
I find it easier to figure my holdoff that way and I let the condition determine the poi without adjusting it.
(unless it gets scary towards the edge).
I really think its a matter of what works for you and your style (picker/runner?) and what you can repeat.
Whatever you use it has to feel right to YOU.
JMO,
Greg

At the begining

benchrest book authors ratigan and boyer advocate a 12 o'clock moth ball poa hold strategy. Jack neary, in his videos, advises a 6 o'clock poa. I can understand the repeatability benefits that either of these strategies offer if one is able to execute all 5 record shots during exactly the same wind conditions. That can happen by rapidly executing all 5 shots during the same momentary condition or by waiting for a particular condition to represent itself.

As my benchrest experience has progressed, i am finding it more and more necessary to adjust my default 12 o'clock poa to offset perceived differences in wind direction and intensity. To my eye, it seems that the wind is never constant or repeatable. If that's the reality, then it seems to me it would be easier to judge and execute the required hold adjustment if my default poa was the center of the moth ball rather than the 12 o'clock position.

i hold at 12 o clock on circle have bullet hittingat 3 6 9 or center always hit below poa never look up hard on eyes

Back