Please recommend a magnetic base for an Interapid 300 series dial indicator.

Ben H

Gents: I have been driving myself crazy looking at all the many, many different magnetic bases out there for holding my two new Interapid .0001 dial indicators. Any recommendations for a particular brand along with the model will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Ben H

At my shop, we have multitudes of indicator bases.

The truth is, there isn't much difference in the ones that cost $25 and the ones that cost $250.

The main thing is to get one that accepts the small round mounting Post that is on the Interapid. I think ''tis one does. The end has intcahngeble bushings that allow for different diameter mounting posts.

Yes, it's made in China. But you would be surprised at how many of the ones that cost three times as much are as well.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87242632

Last edited:
I have to disagree with Jackie...since I started using Noga indicator holders I'd rather be kicked in the shin as to use anything else!

I have to disagree with Jackie...since I started using Noga indicator holders I'd rather be kicked in the shin as to use anything else!

Lot of good indicator holders and Noga is not the only one by a long ways. I agree with Jackie but do have a couple of Noga and my favorite is Starrett.

Chet

I had a Noga and I can't much tell the difference between it and a knockoff. I busted the knob off of it when it got knocked off the v-ways by the carriage. I use the Shars branded ones now available for about $25 and like them very much. I don't have to worry about breaking them now (I consider them "consumables").

http://www.shars.com/products/measuring/magnetic-base-stands/135-lbs-holder-power-magnetic-base

xuiOm-qcmwwHumRDdCUAFVbj00bYgRrs-DSH9ir6HOVYK7zzx_KGsInIQep3WdQgC_x8rSDwGwagdp22PCJ2TFKuL6ASk3B5x_agQwnvjhD4lG1DdpB5kaOmK_rOOHUR3cQTWq4uQ5vDpKzWV7DxOP0NtCXiSazKBpSWq_Vf0_iS-kocrA1v0xDZmJOLu7b78TiZdQ6Swv0EeBNSL4Shx1m6yn6scfZmTESgvjAiVeBQYxTnESnMhJauFEUvZfobjqeoWwr_aWEHgJQQr-E1TMVRkrB2IAY6fM5fkjxWM-I1I-kNKKfzOvlfegcpZShTzVxDU9nZg2cAEQtFNR5VW3i1GhwlDqz_44TjkC0cpowYPcnNEWtcerHuuDKCHY1th5535nteAXc9UMl_wXuf4TXzW25-rBqshdFTrTzqBi7pAEV084kp5fkculfVTg4i11QnNINqQoPLpj11td-ZnJLv37DpfensfmbNpd5ybU6dFIuxjj8GV2_LfWemm0FIxNgFbzHwWYINeneLu5ZkmdL4E_nbzpV8-6rU_vReIf3mJYBvRqOipw1qWzYnD2PPDCYbFPYwe4UJwG-hBEuR6PX48uw5Qx7eM6ruJ5tuF7wV386JXzyrcHkbJ6OLssMN3-uByeuXwPk-8W_jv3vChKUYBWXjpRyBMuJS2rxxZ8GyV2Y=w1024

Magnetic Base

Ben, check out Travers Tool Co. Inc. and look at the Noga Model MG1033 with the fine adjustment knob. Sweet! Just got one. You can't have too many mag bases.

Ben, check out Travers Tool Co. Inc. and look at the Noga Model MG1033 with the fine adjustment knob. Sweet! Just got one. You can't have too many mag bases.

Got one of those recently when I was going through gyrations trying to get a camlock adapter to fit my spindle. More than sweet, it made the repeated setups so easy.

I have to disagree with the knock off chinese versions of the Noga indicator base being just as good, all the chinese ones I've come across don't lock up as well as the Noga one does.

I really like the Noga, but bought the ones I've got from the US, they are a lot cheaper there than here in NZ.

Ian

I have to disagree with the knock off chinese versions of the Noga indicator base being just as good, all the chinese ones I've come across don't lock up as well as the Noga one does.

I really like the Noga, but bought the ones I've got from the US, they are a lot cheaper there than here in NZ.

Ian

I didn't say just as good, I said good enough. I agree that the Noga has a lot better feel to it (including the locking), but the knock-offs are "good enough" and you don't cry as much when you break it.

Most ads on ebay tell the holding strength of the mag base in pounds, if you buy a higher poundage one the only difference I have noticed on higher priced models is the on/off lever may move smoother the more you pay. I have both purely mechanical units and hydraulic lock models for the adjustable arms and either works, but the mechanical ones MAY be slightly more ridged.

I use all of the ones mentioned and I use the noga's the most I have repaired a few of them even the noga.
What I like about my noga's I can get new fine adjust heads
And the nobs are easy or quick to make replacements.
The big one I can hang off the headstock for dialing in the barrel in outboard spider/cathead.

Last edited:
Ben H,

I posted a similar question here many a moon ago, and based on the recommendations I received, I bought a Noga. And the guys did not steer me wrong. I love mine. Very stable, and a wide range of adjustment.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

Justin

I just bought a Noga Knockoff

and it is all the bad stuff I have read about them. Cry once and buy once. I have to keep trying to learn that lesson over and over. Of course, I didn't really need the dern thing in the first place and really don't need a Noga but wanted one. Noga seems to a number of wonderfully constructed tools.

Pete

and it is all the bad stuff I have read about them. Cry once and buy once. I have to keep trying to learn that lesson over and over. Of course, I didn't really need the dern thing in the first place and really don't need a Noga but wanted one. Noga seems to a number of wonderfully constructed tools.

Pete

After watching a guy use one on a you tube video I ended up with three Noga. They are great.

Back