Pin gauge length/brand?

The effect of bullet tilt in ammunition is up to 2moa before the chamber bends the 30-06 cartridge straight, per what Abbatiello wrote in the American Rifleman decades ago.

Centering up the chamber is not nearly as important, because while the ammo's eccentric bias may be inserted randomly, the chamber's bias is always the same.
I cut off the threads on a 7mmMag barrel with a cut off tool and did not de burr.
When I put in the reamer, the burr got the reamer started off center.
The reamer had .0050" of wobble all the way to headspacing.
That rifle shoots sub moa.
What does it all mean?
You could chamber winning barrels without dialing them in, jut put them in a 3- jaw.

YEEpers Clark..... there's just nuttin' I can get behind in this post me man!

I'll agree to disagree with it...... all of it.

al

The function of a range rod is the same as the function of a dial indicator..... it doesn't "measure" much of anything most of the time, it just shows wobble and because of this, YES it most certainly does show you when you're centered up. And if you drive it up and down the bore looking for and eliminating wobble then you have to be centered to the best of the ability of the chuck support.

There are no "measurements" involved in this.....nor repeatability. Any more than there's repeatability if you swing your dial indicator out of the way and then reinsert it.

al

I understand that the rod can't measure anything but is the fact that it has play in it a problem is all I was askin - - -

Back