Parts washer solvent??

skeetlee

I am going to buy a small table top parts washer unit for my shop. I found a resonable unit at our local farm store, but they dont sell any cleaning fluids. I wont normaly clean anything real heavy, mostly i will use this unit to wash grease and chips and such from actions and barrels threads. can anyone recommend a solvent solution that will work for my needs? Thanks as always. Lee

Skeet, I use odorless or low odor mineral spirits in mine, purchased at lowes or walmart.

James

Also clean my bullets with it.

I am going to buy a small table top parts washer unit for my shop. I found a resonable unit at our local farm store, but they dont sell any cleaning fluids. I wont normaly clean anything real heavy, mostly i will use this unit to wash grease and chips and such from actions and barrels threads. can anyone recommend a solvent solution that will work for my needs? Thanks as always. Lee

Be careful using any flammable liquids as some parts washers are made for water based cleaners only. So check the unit before you purchase.

Michael

Lee,

When I worked evening in Germany for Lietz, the parts cleaners for general use had Simple Green in them and if you warmed it, it was even better. There were a couple set up for serious cleaning built up tooling or heavy carbon that had acidtone type cleaner but I never had to use anything but he simple green.

Hovis

Most of the automotive parts washers

were set up to use Stoddard Solvent, basically a very active fuel oil/oil distillate type solvent. They have a very high flash point and are pretty good at cleaning grease and grime ( wheel bearings and the like). For heavier duty cleaning, that came AFTER the parts cleaning tank.

I have mineral spirits in mine, takes the oil outta everything, including my hands. It's cheap too! The 5 gal cans of parts cleaning solvent at Rural King are mineral spirits. If ya have a lid on your parts washer when your not using it you wont notice the smell.

Tech Tip:WD-40 will help keep your pussy patters from cracking if you worsh a lotta parts without rubber gloves.

Thanks men. When you all mentioned mineral spirits, the first thing that came to my mind was my hands. My hands are bad anyway, and i dont need anything to harsh. I will get myself some decent slip on rubbers to.
Jay
Mattoon rural king doesnt have anything for solvent. Maybe i am over looking?? what i found on line for parts washer solvent was exspensive. Im still trying to heal up from the new lathe purchase. Come see it when you get a chance. Lee

Ask them for it. Paris R.King has it back around where they keep all the 5gal cans of oil. Paris gets all of its stock from Mattoon.

Industrial lubricants

Skeet, If you need an industrial supplyer for solvents like Stoddard Safety Solvent send me a PM.
Centerfire

I have a table-top unit that I use Dawn dish detergent in. Works fine for degreasing actions, etc. I usually dump it and run fresh, hot water into it, then I add a tablespoon or two of Dawn.

Bill Jacobs

Back