Parts gun - looking for a used Bukys tuner

I am putting together a rifle for me from various used parts I have, keeping up with the spirit of the project I am looking for a used Buky's tuner or any inexpensive one. Inexpensive is the key, since it is just a fun 308 Win project, maybe to bust some hogs with.

Action is an old 722, barrel is a take off new Remington custom shop barrel, to be bedded in a take off Remington 5R rifle. The stock is a H&S with aluminum block.

Let me know what you have? nez.rongero@gmail.com

I am also looking for advice/tricks on bedding a stock with aluminum bedding block. I need all the help I could get in this department. Last time I did any bedding on 700s was back in the late 80s, even then I don't think I did a job worth writing home about.

Thank you.

nez

I am putting together a rifle for me from various used parts I have, keeping up with the spirit of the project I am looking for a used Buky's tuner or any inexpensive one. Inexpensive is the key, since it is just a fun 308 Win project, maybe to bust some hogs with.

Action is an old 722, barrel is a take off new Remington custom shop barrel, to be bedded in a take off Remington 5R rifle. The stock is a H&S with aluminum block.

I am also looking for advice/tricks on bedding a stock with aluminum bedding block. I need all the help I could get in this department. Last time I did any bedding on 700s was back in the late 80s, even then I don't think I did a job worth writing home about.

Thank you.

Nez, I can't help with the used tuner.
You don't need a block - just make some pillars - aluminum works well - & bore some holes in the stock, to accept the pillars. I won't bore you with all the details of positioning/gluing - you already know all that. A properly pillar-bedded rig will run with the best of 'em.;) RG

P.S. Duh - I didn't read that - quit at rem. 700 i guess!:eek:

Last edited:
Nez, I can't help with the used tuner.
You don't need a block - just make some pillars - aluminum works well - & bore some holes in the stock, to accept the pillars. I won't bore you with all the details of positioning/gluing - you already know all that. A properly pillar-bedded rig will run with the best of 'em.;) RG

Randy,

Thank you.

Next project should amuse you.... a 30 BR M14 just to see how much I could push the precision envelope of the M14 when barreled with a known good commodity. If I can agg .75 with a 14 I will be jumping up and down. I think that would be a realistic goal with a gas gun when there is so much metal hanging on the barrel. 17 to 18 twist spinning the 110 class bullets should have a lot less torquing action compared to a 168 SMK. That might tame the rifle a little on the bags

Now, if I can find a way to use all the metal hanging on the barrel to tune the barrel with I may get better than. 75 agg.

nez

Last edited:
How soon do you need the tuner. I have a bukys that was on a barrel that I bought. I'll be replacing it with one of my tuners when the barrel goes down or I set back and re-crown. The barrel will probably last me through this season. His use .875-32tpi...mine are .900x32, so it stays until I need to address the barrel. Or, I could send you one of mine. They're $145 plus shipping. They are weight adjustable, from 4.5 ounces to about 7.0 ounces. PM me if interested. I'm happy to discuss tuners any time. I'll work with you on a light version. Obviously, I feel like both tuners do work or I wouldn't keep his nor replace it with mine when the time comes. In fact, I'll share a quick story about tuners....

I've been working with tuners for several years now...won't go back to shooting without one.

I bought the gun the bukys tuner was on last year. I had built the gun for a friend and he didn't shoot it hardly at all. He wanted to try a Bukys on this gun and except for the tuner, he let me build the rifle as if I were building a gun for myself.

Anyway, first time out with the rifle was at a match. I went pre-loaded with an unkown rifle, unknown load, another maker's tuner and put the scope on the night before the match.

When I got to the match I had not fired the gun and the scope was off considerably, but was on paper with my first shot so, I fired one round on target and adjusted the reticle to the bullet hole.

Then I went to my sighter and fired a 3 shot group. The gun was COMPLETELY out of tune. The 3 shot group was near 1/2".. HUGE!

I made an adjustment based on experience with tuners in the past and fired another 3 shot group....Now the tune was close. I made one more small adjustment and did the same thing..another 3 shot group, and this one was small, maybe a low .1.

I had gone from a gun that was just on paper, completely out of tune, with an unknown gun an unknown load, and someone else's tuner on the gun, to a very competitive tune.

Here comes the good part...I did this in under 2 minutes, during my 3 minute warm-up per UBR!!

That, my friends, is what tuners do!

--Mike Ezell

nez
Some might giggle a bit but i have made a couple tuners for myself using a limb saver dersonator slipped over a threaded piece of aluminum or stainless steel. these limb savor donuts are around 10 bucks and they dampen vibration like crazy. i turn a piece of aluminum for the weight i want and thread it. slip the dersonator on the aluminium and off i go. works crazy good!! 15$ tuner that works every bit as good as any of the others. Hell maybe even better?? check them out. lee

On the stock cut some small.020 thick brass washers to set on top of the already installed pillars. Bed your action while its sitting on top of these washers. these washers give you a little clearance for beading compound and give you a stress free bed. works well. lee

Last edited:
nez
Some might giggle a bit but i have made a couple tuners for myself using a limb saver dersonator slipped over a threaded piece of aluminum or stainless steel. these limb savor donuts are around 10 bucks and they dampen vibration like crazy. i turn a piece of aluminum for the weight i want and thread it. slip the dersonator on the aluminium and off i go. works crazy good!! 15$ tuner that works every bit as good as any of the others. Hell maybe even better?? check them out. lee

On the stock cut some small.020 thick brass washers to set on top of the already installed pillars. Bed your action while its sitting on top of these washers. these washers give you a little clearance for beading compound and give you a stress free bed. works well. lee

That's amazing, Lee.

Thanks for the input on bedding the H&S stocks with aluminum blocks.

Randy,

Thank you.

Next project should amuse you.... a 30 BR M14 just to see how much I could push the precision envelope of the M14 when barreled with a known good commodity. If I can agg .75 with a 14 I will be jumping up and down. I think that would be a realistic goal with a gas gun when there is so much metal hanging on the barrel. 17 to 18 twist spinning the 110 class bullets should have a lot less torquing action compared to a 168 SMK. That might tame the rifle a little on the bags

Now, if I can find a way to use all the metal hanging on the barrel to tune the barrel with I may get better than. 75 agg.

nez

Hi There- I see M14 mentioned here. Are you referring to the Ruger Mini-14 here? I saw an interesting movie called The American with George Clooney where he is a professional hit-man that did some kitchen table-top gunsmithing on a Mini-14. He taps a barrel with a hand-turned die handle and also fabricates and installs a suppressor. Although it all looked movie-dom impressive and, understanding the tolerances involved with installing such a device, I was wondering if others saw this movie and what their reaction was to all this. Some things are possible without a lathe but I am wondering if this movie was way overboard with all this. -HiWall

The first error was that a professional would use a Ruger mini 14 as a sniper rifle.
Well known as an inaccurate semi auto rifle.
Hand fabrication is not beyond possible, but with the increased tolerance stack
up the ability of the suppressor to do its job would be compromised.
Saw the flick, I did not like the end.
I do not think the person here was talking about a mini, but a real full size m14/m1a.

You are correct,

Nez...remember....

Thank you.

nez

Hey Nez remember when I bought that first Remington Fluted barrel varmint rifle in 220 Swift? I called Walt Berger on advise on the installed aluminum bedding block and he recommended just a thin painted coat of JB Weld on top. Worked well. When I exchanged the 220 Swift for the same rifle in 308, I checked the bedding block with lip stick on the bottom of the action and found it made excellent contact with the block. So I didn't need the JB. That's the rifle that shot a 9" group at 900 yards at Ed's ranch.

Good luck with your project,

Virg

Look up Ernie the gunsmith web page. He sells these little spacers for the ha stocks. No need to grind anything unless you just want to. The spacers pick the action up just a pinch but it allows room for stress free bedding. Works excellent!! Lee

Look up Ernie the gunsmith web page. He sells these little spacers for the ha stocks. No need to grind anything unless you just want to. The spacers pick the action up just a pinch but it allows room for stress free bedding. Works excellent!! Lee

Thanks, bud.

Christmas in April in Austin

As the thread says I am looking for a used inexpensive Buky's tuner. Darrel Loker, a gentleman from Oklahoma sent me an email asking whether I found one yet, when I told have not, he responded that he has one that he no longer have a need for it. Today, Santa in brown showed up with the package. It is indeed a gift, as Darrel did not want any payment for it.

Darrel, if you are reading this post, big Thank You. The tuner will be put to good use in the parts gun.

nez

As the thread says I am looking for a used inexpensive Buky's tuner. Darrel Loker, a gentleman from Oklahoma sent me an email asking whether I found one yet, when I told have not, he responded that he has one that he no longer have a need for it. Today, Santa in brown showed up with the package. It is indeed a gift, as Darrel did not want any payment for it.

Darrel, if you are reading this post, big Thank You. The tuner will be put to good use in the parts gun.

nez

Nez, he is a very good guy.

Back