Pantagraph engraver

Hi. I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction on a pantagraph. I've found a Green model #106 pantagraph that I think can be bought reasonably, but I'm not sure if it has enough height to engrave caliber info on barrels. Is anyone using one of these or know if it would work? I don't chamber enough barrels to warrant the cost or floor space for a floor model engraver... Is there another bench model that you would reccomend? Thanks!

I use a benchtop new hermes gravograph. Its so heavy its not portable so a floor model wont be no more in the way than a benchtop on a table you cant move

I have owned a number of New Hermes panagraph engraving machines over the years. They did make a small table top model, which is what I started with. Not sure what the model number was, but even the small ones allow the addition of a motor so you are cutting in the engraving and not only scratching it in with a diamond stylus.

Probably can find some of the old models for sale on eBay. I got my first one in about 1974.

http://e-engraving.com/machines/new_hermes/index.htm

Bob

Last edited:
I use a New Hermes tabletop model. I can't find a model number on it anywhere but GL are the first two digits before a six digit sn on the id tag. It's probably about 30 lbs and takes up a space on the bench it's on that's about 18"x24". It's fully adjustable in just about every imaginable way and can be fitted with an electric motor, but I just use the scratch stylus for barrels.

I gave about $200 for it a few years back with several sets of fonts. If you have a few local trophy shops, go ask them about them. Most of the shops have gone to strictly laser engraving and many have these old engravers sitting around taking up space. I got mine at a better than average price but it's worth asking the shop owners in your area. You may be able to work out a very good deal if you ask. It might help if you can send them some business like making up your match awards for your local club. Most shops never use the pantographs anymore but still have them around collecting dust. FWIW--Mike

I found a TX model new hermes with a lot of fonts. Its a floor model in nice shape. I'm cleaning it up and almost ready to try it. It's a drag type, no motor. Never used one before and has no manual with it.

Back