Optics?

TrxR

I am picking up a Savage model 12 LRPV in a .223 and was wondering on what to get for a scope. I am looking at starting out shooting 300yds and working my way out as far as I can go over time. I am wondering if I really need a variable power scope? Ive been looking at the Sightron SII Big sky 36x x 42 BRD, the SII Big sky 6-24 x42 D and the SIII SS 8-32x56 LR D. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

A fixed power

I am picking up a Savage model 12 LRPV in a .223 and was wondering on what to get for a scope. I am looking at starting out shooting 300yds and working my way out as far as I can go over time. I am wondering if I really need a variable power scope? Ive been looking at the Sightron SII Big sky 36x x 42 BRD, the SII Big sky 6-24 x42 D and the SIII SS 8-32x56 LR D. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

36X you probably will find as too much X for varied distances and anything but from the bench. The variables are probably the way you should be looking. They are used very little if at all in centerfire behchrest. You may want to ask on the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum here. Good luck.

TrxR....I too have a Savage M12 LRPV,.223 eqipped with a Leupold 36x BR scope that I get complete satisfactory results with @ 100 & 200 yrds(this is the max @ our local range). If you're STARTING @ 300 yrds,I fully recommend the most powerful scope(fixed or variable) that your wallet can stand. Sightron,Weaver,Leupold,Night Force,March,etc.but buy quality---not BSA's and such. Good shooting.......gpoldblue

The shooting i will be doing is benchrest and some f-class. I was concerned if 36x would be too much for 300yds or not enough for the longer stuff.

If they use up to sixty power scopes on a 6ppc Benchrest rifle at 100 and 200 yd. Why would you think that 36X would be to much at 300 yd. What you need is a variable scope of 8 to 32 or 12 to 42 power. RANDY

Back