Optical filters

I have a fellow shooter that bought a polarized lens filter to fit his Weaver 36 to combat mirage. I peered through his scope a few times when the mirage was pretty bad and it definately helped! The only problem I had was the filter made the target image darker. In fact it made it downright difficult I believe (having not shot the gun with the filter on) to adjust for holdoff on a ARA rimfire target. It wasn't the highest of sunlight that day either but maybe when the sun is blistering I could deal with the darker image.

Carp

Polarizing filter

The filter I think would be the interesting to try would be a circular polarizer. It is two pieces of polarized glass, one in front of the other and the front one rotates in relation to the rear. When properly adjusted, it remove most, if not all, of the reflections from reflective surfaces.

I was thinking the same thing as I used to have one for my camera. The variability of adjustment might be the ticket.

Lou Baccino

For the Nightforce BR scope, someone (maybe Nightforce) made/makes an adapter so standard camera filters will work, I have one myself.

Nightforce used to make them and when they quit Bill Shehane made some or found the same adapter somewhere. I bought one from him but that was quite a while ago. It allows you to use standard 55mm camera filters on the 56mm Nightforce scopes.

I am color blind and have not found filters very useful, actually they tend to be a detriment to me as they diminish my visual acuity of targets both paper and live in the field. Same for colored shooting glasses. I do better with clear.

Last edited:
Camera filters

Nightforce used to make them and when they quit Bill Shehane made some or found the same adapter somewhere. I bought one from him but that was quite a while ago. It allows you to use standard 55mm camera filters on the 56mm Nightforce scopes.

I am color blind and have not found filters very useful, actually they tend to be a detriment to me as they diminish my visual acuity of targets both paper and live in the field. Same for colored shooting glasses. I do better with clear.

Thank you.

Lou Baccino

Back