one or two piece bases

I've always thought it interesting that folks go to no end of trouble to get a completely stress free bedding job on an action and then put on a one piece scope mount and then tighten down the screws to put stress on the action. It's just one more possible fly in the ointment. I'll take a properly lapped set of rings on two piece double dovetail bases or the Burris Signature Rings. It just makes more sense to me as well as giving more accessibility for loading. I'm by no means an expert benchrester but my time in engineering says that's the proper way to build it.

Wow

All these different methods are starting to make my head spin. I guess the first thing I have to do is to determine how straight are the holes in my action. I will get the Farrell one piece base and go from there. I am a fan of the Burris Z rings and have them on 3 rifles now. The bar that lines up your setup is indeed something that can help you a lot in your setting up of the rings. Guess what I'll have to do is just start somewhere and see what works the best for me. If one method does not satisfy me, I will try something else. I have many options here to try and the thanks to you all for them. I will post again when and what method worked for me. I have mounted scopes before and never had any really big issues other than useing a brass shim a time or two.
Thanks again for all the help and here's wishing everyone a very happy holiday season.

WhelenMan

I think if you re-read through the posts you will see that the Farrell one piece base comes with instructions on how to bed it for a stress free installation.
Also lapping in a set of rings doesn't necessarily mean your getting a stress free installation.You would end up getting a better installation by bedding the rings unless you have checked your scopes runout and it was 0.000 which few are.
Lynn

All these different methods are starting to make my head spin. I guess the first thing I have to do is to determine how straight are the holes in my action. I will get the Farrell one piece base and go from there. I am a fan of the Burris Z rings and have them on 3 rifles now. The bar that lines up your setup is indeed something that can help you a lot in your setting up of the rings. Guess what I'll have to do is just start somewhere and see what works the best for me. If one method does not satisfy me, I will try something else. I have many options here to try and the thanks to you all for them. I will post again when and what method worked for me. I have mounted scopes before and never had any really big issues other than useing a brass shim a time or two.
Thanks again for all the help and here's wishing everyone a very happy holiday season.

Mac,

You asked the question on an accuracy forum. If you want to just bolt
it together or use shims or whatever then have at it :)

But you did ask the question.......here.

al

Alinwa

Yes, you are right. and I'm grateful for all of the very good advise that I have recieved. And yes, I did read where instructions came with the Farrell bases. Might give that method a try. I just have never bedded bases or rings and maybe I'm just a little concerned about that method if things go astray. I'm sure that the instructions will be very good. I always worry about doing a good job and then when it's finished I realize how easy it was. However, if you re read my very first post, I ask nothing about how to mount bases and/or rings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are right. and I'm grateful for all of the very good advise that I have recieved. And yes, I did read where instructions came with the Farrell bases. Might give that method a try. I just have never bedded bases or rings and maybe I'm just a little concerned about that method if things go astray. I'm sure that the instructions will be very good. I always worry about doing a good job and then when it's finished I realize how easy it was. However, if you re read my very first post, I ask nothing about how to mount bases and/or rings.

You asked for pros and cons........ what did you expect them to be? Weight? Color? Aesthetics?

IME "pros and cons" ARE about mounting and alignment......

But that's just ME ;)

al

The pros and cons

were not on mounting the scope or bases. It was on how would a one piece base differ from a two piece base as far as interferance goes with loading the cart. The first 11 replies were right on and understood the ques. It must just be you.

Last edited by a moderator:
MacV

MacV
I have a half dozen rifles with the Ken Farrell steel one piece bases on them including two 600 Remingtons(you won't find them on his website).There is no problem with feeding or extraction.
Lynn

I think if you re-read through the posts you will see that the Farrell one piece base comes with instructions on how to bed it for a stress free installation.
Also lapping in a set of rings doesn't necessarily mean your getting a stress free installation.You would end up getting a better installation by bedding the rings unless you have checked your scopes runout and it was 0.000 which few are.
Lynn
I understand what you're saying Lynn but I still feel that you're working to get the base stress free when there's no need to have that bridge of metal between the front and rear ring. Bed the two piece bases, lap the rings and bed the scope in them ideally. Some scopes won't allow the two piece bases without extension rings and then if necessary and only if necessary would I go with the one piece base. I definitely agree that bedding the rings would be the better way of fitting the scope. It's easier to change between scopes if the rings are lapped instead of bedded though but given it's not as precise a fit. A scope is one source of stress on an action but with it's aluminum tube lapped and bedded it's minimized but necessary. A single piece bridge of steel or aluminum between the front and rear base can be eliminated though. Everyone won't agree with me but they can shoot their rifles and I'll shoot mine and we'll all be happy. That's why they call it competition.

WhelenMan

I didn't explain the one piece base correctly because I was in a hurry.
Your not removing stress from the action your preventing it.On alot of factory actions that are blued the factory will over polish the receiver changing its physical size.When you go to add a one piece base that is stress free simply tightening up the screws will induce stress.By bedding it no stress and you now have great alignment for your rings requiring only a minimal amount of bedding.
Yes you can go with the two piece bases but any action abnormalities get added to the bases creating a bigger problem for the ring alignment.Yes again you can bed the 2 piece bases but how do you align them for correct height as well as alignment?
To my way of thinkinhg you are creating too much work.If the two bases don't come out as good alignment wise as the one piece base you'll be lapping them for quite awhile.
When I do mine I cut alot of corners with the release agent and just glue them up solid.I don't take them apart very often and when I do a good wack has always worked well.I also don't bother with those scope bars everyone and his brother is selling these days.
I hog out the rings so there is plenty of room apply the J-B Weld and drop the scope in place.
Lynn

I hog out the rings so there is plenty of room apply the J-B Weld and drop the scope in place.

Lynn

Now that right thar was the missing piece of information ;) Good info there. I'd probably go so far as to add a little modelng clay or at least some masking tape at the runover points but it's the hogging out for loose fit prior to glueing that matters.

good stuff

al

Seems like a lot of trouble

Does anybody have anything other than hearsay that proves all this lapping and bedding scope rings makes a rifle shoot more accurately, consistently, etc...?

Hello, I am getting ready to get some bases for my single shot Sav. 6br. and was wondering if the one piece base, ( thinking of getting the Farrell ) would be a little acward in the loading process of this little cartridge. I have never used a one piece base and trying to get some input from the shooters who have. What are the pros and the cons of it.

All my rifles have one piece 20moa bases on them and all I recommend are the one piece bases for rifles I build. My 6 BR is on a SS Viper and the base is machined into the receiver. They all feed fine, from 6BR (soon to be a Dasher) to the 7/300 wsm.

Does anybody have anything other than hearsay that proves all this lapping and bedding scope rings makes a rifle shoot more accurately, consistently, etc...?

When you lap steel rings, I think your just polishing the paint/finish. Since I switched to the Badger style rings and one piece bases, there has been no ring marks or alignment issues.

I thought this thread was kinda strange....I only lap my rings just enough to make sure the scope doesn't get scratched??

Most these guys have forgotten more about guns than I know but I have never felt the need to switch from a 2 piece because an action wasn't stiff or bad accuracy??

I've just always liked 2 pieces...line up the rings best I can lap a little w/ the sinclair bar, mount and go shoot.

pf
<><

Single or Double base...

Recently I saw a slow motion picture of a centerfire rifle being fired. It was amazing the flex and the amount of abuse a scope takes. Most bases screw on with 6X48 or 6X40 screws, it is no wonder why so many shear. I am of the firm belief that One piece bases on heavy recoiling cartridges and lighter actions do provide some strength and protect the scope. This can do nothing but improve the accuracy.

Rustystud

Wilbur Harris

Wilbur
I don't think there is a shred of evidence that says lapping in rings does anything at all.To my way of thinking unless the scope has zero bend lapping probaly hurts the scope 50% of the time.

With the hogged out bedding method all your doing is mounting the scope as you bought it without distorting the main tube.

In theory it sounds great but what if Leupold or Nightforce mount there scopes in rings or fixture while setting up the lenses and this coupled with a slightly bent main tube stresses the scope on there end?
No evidence just theory.
Lynn

Thanks for the description of your process Lynn. I'll keep it in mind if I should wind up doing a single piece base in the future. My last two I've done with the Burris Signature double dovetail bases just because of their simplicity and ease of elevation and windage adjustment. I'm doing a varmint contour 7mm Remington Mag for a beanfield rifle at the moment and waiting for a barrel which I probably won't get until February. From what I'm reading here the base milled into the receiver is probably the best setup if it works with the intended scope. It could then be bedded to the scope and have the best of all worlds. Good food for thought here.

Back