On this annealing bidness

A new piece of Lapua brass is about $1, roughly the price of 4 bullets, now none of us got a problem shooting 4 shots, why would you not want to keep fresh brass in your loading block?

Why, if you have a piece of brass that you think is "Compromised" not chunk it in the trash. I would hate to know that I traveled 500 miles, spent the money gas and for 2-3 nights in a hotel, paid the entry fee and then shot like crap because I refused to use new good brass...

Or what about if you keep using some old brass and maybe its what is giving you an occasional flier... how much time and components you gonna go through looking for the issue when all it was is your thoughts that brass should last forever or should fit every one of your BR guns because the chambers should be that close to one another?

Just saying that there ought to be better things to spend your resources on than figuring how ways to get old brass to shoot like new...

But if any of you are going to Phoenix next weekend... ignore this and prove me wrong! ;-)

^^^^This^^^^. I couldn't agree more.

I'll edit to say that most people, with proper sizing, can get several firings. Enough that IME, Lapua is the best and cheapest brass out there.

Last edited:
....... IME, Lapua is the best and cheapest brass out there.

I agree.... I shoot Lapua in some guns BECAUSE I'm cheap!

And Lazy.... don't leave out lazy.

I don't enjoy making brass.

Ohhh, I've turned out and maintained tens of thousands of cases, and once I'm IN the zone I can bend over and crank the hannles for hunnerds and hunnerds of cases and actually enjoy the brain-deadness of it all.

It's like setting on a deer-stand, not a care in the world..... but getting me INTO that state of dead-stoppedness these days is hard.

this starts with a bad ASSUMPTION.
that properly annealed brass is substandard.
i anneal essentially all my brass EVERY TIME.
it still works
i shot 6 zeros in one session with brass i have been shooting for close to 2 years.
annealed every time

you do what you want with your money
replacing good brass is not on MY list

A new piece of Lapua brass is about $1, roughly the price of 4 bullets, now none of us got a problem shooting 4 shots, why would you not want to keep fresh brass in your loading block?

Why, if you have a piece of brass that you think is "Compromised" not chunk it in the trash. I would hate to know that I traveled 500 miles, spent the money gas and for 2-3 nights in a hotel, paid the entry fee and then shot like crap because I refused to use new good brass...

Or what about if you keep using some old brass and maybe its what is giving you an occasional flier... how much time and components you gonna go through looking for the issue when all it was is your thoughts that brass should last forever or should fit every one of your BR guns because the chambers should be that close to one another?

Just saying that there ought to be better things to spend your resources on than figuring how ways to get old brass to shoot like new...

But if any of you are going to Phoenix next weekend... ignore this and prove me wrong! ;-)

this starts with a bad ASSUMPTION.
that properly annealed brass is substandard.
i anneal essentially all my brass EVERY TIME.
it still works
i shot 6 zeros in one session with brass i have been shooting for close to 2 years.
annealed every time

What registered match was that done at?

it was a comment on brass life not my (lack) of shooting skills
shooting a 30br in a 100 br match seldom is any good for me
there is a match this weekend, but i will be fishing in mexico.

That was a non answer to my question. Good luck fishing.

Later
Dave

you did not deserve an answer
4 pages of conversation on annealing
and you had nothing to add to the conversation
then you ask a question that adds nothing to the conversation.
no you did not deserve an answer.
look to be good bass and yellow fin right now.

That was a non answer to my question. Good luck fishing.

Later
Dave

This gets to my point about Lapua being the best and cheapest brass out there. Strictly from an economics standpoint, lets say we pay $1/pc of brass and fire it 10 times. That number is very conservative to some and generous to others but for the sake of making my point, it's a good number imho.

Lets also say that you did not go out and spend big bucks on an AMP annealer with all the bells and whistles. Lets use $500 for the annealer and zero for gas and other small expenses.

Using these numbers, is it not correct to say that your break even point is your effective cost per round of brass equals your investment in the annealer? If so and you get lets say 20 firings on brass that you anneal after every firing, your brass cost is half plus the annealer. So, I buy 100 pieces of brass and fire it 10 times. My cost per firing is .10 per round and yours is .05. At these numbers, it appears you break even on the annealer at 10,000 rounds fired.

JMHO, but my barrels don't last nearly that long and I don't like mixing fired brass between barrels.. and annealing doesn't fix cases being tight at the base area.. With that said, I do not anneal any longer.

I just threw those numbers out there. I typically can get more than 10 firings and have gone as far as 50 with one annealing at about the midway point of its life. I'm not advocating that, just stating that your actual useful brass life may vary quite a bit from these numbers.

I have nothing to add to this discussion that is going nowhere save for the fact that you need more brain and brine than you have to tangle with Dave Coots.

you did not deserve an answer
4 pages of conversation on annealing
and you had nothing to add to the conversation
then you ask a question that adds nothing to the conversation.
no you did not deserve an answer.
look to be good bass and yellow fin right now.

If I were to talk about shooting 6 zeros in one session, I would be proud enough to answer what match I actually shot them in. If it didn't happen in a registered match, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. You failed to say what you call a session and how many groups that entails. I've also shot six zero groups in a session. Mine happened in registered match sessions of several years Good job at evading the easy answer.

Later
Dave
Just Fishing

Last edited:
except you do not count how many guns i shoot, nor the fact that some my brass is over
2.50 each. nor the time and effort to match prep them.
nor the fact that my brass is more uniform, yours changes every time you shoot it.
in long range uniformity counts big time.
short range br is not the only game in town.

This gets to my point about Lapua being the best and cheapest brass out there. Strictly from an economics standpoint, lets say we pay $1/pc of brass and fire it 10 times. That number is very conservative to some and generous to others but for the sake of making my point, it's a good number imho.

Lets also say that you did not go out and spend big bucks on an AMP annealer with all the bells and whistles. Lets use $500 for the annealer and zero for gas and other small expenses.

Using these numbers, is it not correct to say that your break even point is your effective cost per round of brass equals your investment in the annealer? If so and you get lets say 20 firings on brass that you anneal after every firing, your brass cost is half plus the annealer. So, I buy 100 pieces of brass and fire it 10 times. My cost per firing is .10 per round and yours is .05. At these numbers, it appears you break even on the annealer at 10,000 rounds fired.

JMHO, but my barrels don't last nearly that long and I don't like mixing fired brass between barrels.. and annealing doesn't fix cases being tight at the base area.. With that said, I do not anneal any longer.

I just threw those numbers out there. I typically can get more than 10 firings and have gone as far as 50 with one annealing at about the midway point of its life. I'm not advocating that, just stating that your actual useful brass life may vary quite a bit from these numbers.

so you never practice, you only shoot matches.
there is no practice data to work from in your world.
you run no practice at the drags, only matches.
good for you
the rest of the world does not work that way.
other than acting like a snob from short range br
what positive input to you have to the actual conversation?
this the typical poor behavior on several forums,
nothing positive to add,
so attack a poster, and then complain about the posters behavior.

If I were to talk about shooting 6 zeros in one session, I would be proud enough to answer what match I actually shot them in. If it didn't happen in a registered match, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. You failed to say what you call a session and how many groups that entails. I've also shot six zero groups in a session. Mine happened in registered match sessions of several years Good job at evading the easy answer.

Later
Dave
Just Fishing

except you do not count how many guns i shoot, nor the fact that some my brass is over
2.50 each. nor the time and effort to match prep them.
nor the fact that my brass is more uniform, yours changes every time you shoot it.
in long range uniformity counts big time.
short range br is not the only game in town.

I understand that there is more than short range br out there and I wasn't saying anything to be argumentative...I didn't think.

How many times do you fire your brass?

What registered match was that done at?

Easy question to answer Jim. You choice to not answer. Some folks sure are thinned skinned and go off on an unrelated rant sometimes. I feel your pain though. I've shot several world records. I keep them in my billfold and only bring them out at gun shows.

Later
Dave

I have NOT replaced any in the last couple of years.
like since i got my AMP.
i do not keep count.
I understand that there is more than short range br out there and I wasn't saying anything to be argumentative...I didn't think.

How many times do you fire your brass?

some people have better reading comprehension.
it clearly says 'session' , NOT relay, NOR match.
Easy question to answer Jim. You choice to not answer. Some folks sure are thinned skinned and go off on an unrelated rant sometimes. I feel your pain though. I've shot several world records. I keep them in my billfold and only bring them out at gun shows.

Later
Dave

I need clear explanations so I don't take something for granted and jump to conclusions like some members here.

Looks like they're still biting. You've had a good day fishing.

Later
Dave

Last edited:
I have NOT replaced any in the last couple of years.
like since i got my AMP.
i do not keep count.

So, you have an annealer that cost $1500 and brass that's $2.50 each...for at least some of the cartridges you anneal for. BTW, a lot of long range shooters use 6BR brass that's in the price range I mentioned in my analogy.

But forget all of that. I'm just here to say you're an idiot since you don't understand basic math and your own hypocrisy. Just keep on doing what you're doing.

That's all.

mike mike mike
yes i have 2 6mm 6br based rifles, so those are only a buck
add a 30 br that is also only a buck
and while you can buy 300 win mag cheaper mine has ran over 2 for what i want. 2 of those.
the 338 edge is over 2.50
7 308's again around a buck.
and some of the brass is difficult to get. 300 win mag and the 338 edge fall in that group
several other competition rifles,
more like 20 competition rifles.
and consistency is part of the long range game.
i have seen significant neck tension/seating pressure changes with fired un annealed cases
( pressure gauge seating machine)
labor involved in setting up all that brass
i anneal it all every time.
now do the math again...and my AMP was under $1000 with 12 caliber tools

So, you have an annealer that cost $1500 and brass that's $2.50 each...for at least some of the cartridges you anneal for. BTW, a lot of long range shooters use 6BR brass that's in the price range I mentioned in my analogy.

But forget all of that. I'm just here to say you're an idiot since you don't understand basic math and your own hypocrisy. Just keep on doing what you're doing.

That's all.

Back