Old Springfield still shoots . . .

I posted a message here a while back entitled something like "Classic 03 Springfield." There were some photos.

Yesterday I got out to the range with 20 fresh rounds for the rifle. This is a sporterized NRA Springfield with a star-guage barrel.

The only sights I had were the original Lyman Model 48 aperture sight, with a ramp and front blade, with a sight hood.

I only had 20 rds, and wasted 10 at 50 yds, because the gun has not been fired in 25 years, and I wanted to be sure I was on the paper.

One of the two strings at 100 yds is enclosed as a photo. I used the big silhouette target because small targets tend to look pretty tiny at 100 yds, and I wanted an adequate aim point.

The rifle put four in 0.825 inches, with one flyer.

For what it is worth, ammo was as follows: New Hornady brass, Nosler 168 gr. HPBT bullets, 42.5 gr. of IMR 3031, and CCI "200" primers.

I also include a photo of the sight. The photo shows a hunting aperture, but I did put a finer target aperture into the sight before the testing.

It appears the old Springfield still shoots. Since I am nearly 70, I was happy that I can still use the iron sights.

Pete,i have one almost like it,i'll get it out and shoot it,mine was an unissued rifle,new barrel and receiver.
I put the origional wood on it and have not fired it yet,had it 20 years.
I'll try your load and see.

Here's a sidelight since we are straying into old ammo for the Springfield == Chlorate primers and the like . . . .

I was reading in "Hatcher's Notebook" the other day. It turns out the 30-06 "M2" ammunition was loaded with IMR 4895 powder. Not sure exactly when M2 ammo series was manufactured, but I'm sure it was a long time ago. It is interesting that many of us still have this powder in our loading shops, and still use it.

I think all WW2 .30/06 ammo was loaded with 4895.
I know they used only IMR after 1925. Ten percent less erosion with IMR over available double base powders.

I got one can of H4895, the ADI manufactured equivalent of the IMR product.
According to the literature Hodgdon sent samples of surplus IMR 4895 to ADI to have it duplicated, but his samples were about thirty years old, so the Australians copied the burning rate of mildly degraded IMR powder.
The burning rate and pressure isn't exactly the same, but the Australian powder is supposed to last longer and be less sensitive to temperature variations.

I was looking for IMR 4007, which gives remarkable performance at much lower pressures, but none is available for now. I was lucky to find any rifle powders around here. Most of the older stores went out of business or got busted by the BATF, and the only sizable gunshop near here no longer carries any reloading supplies. I think they had a problem with fire insurance premiums or perhaps the Fire Marshall because the store is in what used to be a restaurant and is next to a gas station. There are schools close by as well.

Al, what I meant, perhaps............

mistakenly, was the priming compound's ability to be ignited, and its ability to ignite the charge, and the amount of force required; the interrelationship of all three, its "touchiness" for a lack of vocabulary right now :eek:. German, I've been under the impression that a magnum primer isn't necessarily "hotter", but the flame was of a longer duration, is this borne out by your experiments? (Sorry I haven't had the time to read your blog yet, my apologies, as I'm ALWAYS interested in these things, glad you are as well.)

Last edited:
mistakenly, was the priming compound's ability to be ignited, its "touchiness" for a lack of vocabulary right now :eek:. German, I've been under the impression that a magnum primer isn't necessarily "hotter", but the flame was of a longer duration, is this borne out by your experiments? (Sorry I haven't had the time to read your blog yet, my apologies, as I'm ALWAYS interested in these things, glad you are as well.)

Not to try to answer for German, Brian, but my own observations, with mag primers has been the flame front is rounded and is not as violent as say the standard large rifle primers. The tests I ran many years ago in my basement in and unlighted room. I loaded two cases (.338 Winchester) One with a standard Lg primer Remington 9.5 and the other with a Lg mag primer Remington. The flash of the primer from the standard was much greater from the end of the barrel. The Lg rifle mag, the primer flash was much closer to the crown of the barrel and vary round at the flame front. This I interrupted as the flash of the mag primer was more contained toward he powder column.

German: E-Mail sent.

I wonder if your 03 and mine are related. They must be-have the same name and very often put one way out from the others.

""The rifle put four in 0.825 inches, with one flyer.""

Gentlemen,

The article "NATIONAL MATCH AMMO" in the #9 HANDLOADER magazine (Sept. -Oct '67) may be of some additional interest to those '06 fans here.

Good shooting!:D

Back